Amazon's best selling laptops run ... - Linux

This is a discussion on Amazon's best selling laptops run ... - Linux ; .... Linux! http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...%3A5-30&page=1 And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet: http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all sales ... Well, over to you dumb Wintrolls, to come up with an ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

  1. Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    .... Linux!

    http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...%3A5-30&page=1

    And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:

    http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods

    Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    sales ...

    Well, over to you dumb Wintrolls, to come up with an imaginative explanation
    how "nobody wants Linux", and "Everyone wants Windows". Clearly Amazon's
    customers choose Linux over Windows ...

    And Vista? Well, we all know it's a dismal failure, and it shows -- Amazon's
    customers don't want it for sure: the first Vista machine is in the 18th
    place, and the top 25 only features 3 Vista machines ...

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  2. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    On Sep 16, 6:41*pm, Richard Rasker wrote:
    > ... Linux!
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...TF8&rs=565108&...
    >
    > And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >
    > http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >
    > Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    > sales ...
    >
    > Well, over to you dumb Wintrolls, to come up with an imaginative explanation
    > how "nobody wants Linux", and "Everyone wants Windows". Clearly Amazon's
    > customers choose Linux over Windows ...

    These are cheap machines that go for under $400... At that price, they
    will probably sell even with Linux... Once users find out they cannot
    run the good software on it, they either return them or upgrade to
    Vista Basic.

    > And Vista? Well, we all know it's a dismal failure, and it shows -- Amazon's
    > customers don't want it for sure: the first Vista machine is in the 18th
    > place, and the top 25 only features 3 Vista machines ...

    Check the Vista numbers against all Linux distros in Linux history....
    Vista wins ;-)

  3. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > ... Linux!
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...%3A5-30&page=1
    >
    > And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >
    > http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >
    > Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    > sales ...

    Seriously, could you explain your spreadsheet please?

    I like the look of the EEE PC 9000.

    > Well, over to you dumb Wintrolls, to come up with an imaginative explanation
    > how "nobody wants Linux", and "Everyone wants Windows". Clearly Amazon's
    > customers choose Linux over Windows ...

    Who said nobody wants Linux? I am on record here as saying the EEE is
    great with Linux on. Devices like this might well bring Linux to the
    masses.

    --
    "I've heard "Linux is the future!" for, let me see now, must about 17
    years. For how long do I need to listen to that clap trap?"

  4. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    > ... Linux!

    http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...%3A5-30&page=1

    > And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >
    > http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >
    > Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    > sales ...

    I'm sorry to be so dense Richard, but what is "e-power"?

    Is this actual data that you got from somewhere, or is it just your good self
    putting some sort of exponential decay curve on the top-selling items as a
    rough-and-ready way to extract relative number of sales from rankings?

    Either way, it looks good for Linux, doesn't it:-)
    Also, once I remove VAT (sales tax) from U.K. prices at Amazon U.K., the U.K.
    prices compare favourably with U.S. prices, for Acer at least.
    e.g on the 512MB/8GB version, I need only assume an exchange rate of 1.7625 to
    get the identical price.
    Things is changing....

  5. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    bbgruff wrote:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >

    >> ... Linux!

    http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...%3A5-30&page=1

    >> And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >>
    >> http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >>
    >> Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    >> sales ...

    Oops!
    Just realised - .ods document!
    Well done that man - those linux netbooks should have no problem at all
    opening that.....:-)

  6. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    shmell_dakaka@hotmail.com wrote:

    > These are cheap machines that go for under $400... At that price, they
    > will probably sell even with Linux... Once users find out they cannot
    > run the good software on it, they either return them or upgrade to
    > Vista Basic.

    Nobody "upgrades" to Vista ME. Haven't you read Dell's (and other computers
    maker's) web pages. You have to buy the expensive version of Vista ME so
    you can "downgrade" to XP. I guess folks figure it's worth it to have a
    working machine.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  7. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 01:33:23 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> ... Linux!
    >>
    >> http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...%3A5-30&page=1
    >>
    >> And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >>
    >> http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >>
    >> Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    >> sales ...

    > Seriously, could you explain your spreadsheet please?

    Please.
    I don't get it?

    > I like the look of the EEE PC 9000.

    It looks like a nice unit.

    >> Well, over to you dumb Wintrolls, to come up with an imaginative explanation
    >> how "nobody wants Linux", and "Everyone wants Windows". Clearly Amazon's
    >> customers choose Linux over Windows ...

    > Who said nobody wants Linux? I am on record here as saying the EEE is
    > great with Linux on. Devices like this might well bring Linux to the
    > masses.

    Me too

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    In article <48d03620$0$720$7ade8c0d@textreader.nntp.internl.ne t>,
    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > ... Linux!
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...5108&sort=pmra
    > nk&rh=n%3A541966%2Cn%3A565108%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER%2 Cp_availability_class%3A5
    > -30&page=1
    >
    > And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >
    > http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >
    > Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    > sales ...

    Well, that's how it looks using an exponential distribution like you are
    using, with the particular constant for the decay rate that you used.

    On the other hand, using a power distribution, for exponents from 0 to
    -5, here's what it looks like:

    The x axis in that graph is the negative of the exponent, and the y axis
    is the fraction of total sales. The blue curve represents Linux, the
    red curve represents Windows, and the cyan curve represents OS X.

    If the exponent is in approximately (-0.64, 0], Linux is on top. If the
    exponent is in approximately [-oo, -0.64), Windows is on top.

    Anyone want to try to make an argument as to what values of the exponent
    are likely?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:04:47 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <48d03620$0$720$7ade8c0d@textreader.nntp.internl.ne t>,
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> ... Linux!
    >>
    >> http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...5108&sort=pmra
    >> nk&rh=n%3A541966%2Cn%3A565108%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER%2 Cp_availability_class%3A5
    >> -30&page=1
    >>
    >> And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >>
    >> http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >>
    >> Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    >> sales ...

    > Well, that's how it looks using an exponential distribution like you are
    > using, with the particular constant for the decay rate that you used.
    >
    > On the other hand, using a power distribution, for exponents from 0 to
    > -5, here's what it looks like:
    >

    > The x axis in that graph is the negative of the exponent, and the y axis
    > is the fraction of total sales. The blue curve represents Linux, the
    > red curve represents Windows, and the cyan curve represents OS X.
    >
    > If the exponent is in approximately (-0.64, 0], Linux is on top. If the
    > exponent is in approximately [-oo, -0.64), Windows is on top.
    >
    > Anyone want to try to make an argument as to what values of the exponent
    > are likely?

    You guys should be in marketing

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  10. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    In article ,
    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > >> And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    > >>
    > >> Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    > >> sales ...

    > > Seriously, could you explain your spreadsheet please?

    > Please.
    > I don't get it?

    What he is doing is assuming that sales numbers follow an exponential
    curve, where the sales, S(r), for the item whose rank is r (r is an
    integer in [1,25]) is:

    1-r/30
    S(r) = e - 1

    (Note that I did not say unit sales. That's OK. The above equation
    would have to be multiplied by some unknown constant to get the estimate
    of unit sales for rank r under his model. However, since all we are
    trying to do is figure out relative sales percentages, it turns out that
    constant will completely disappear from the final results, so it can be
    set to anything we want. He's setting it to 1).

    From this, he computes the percentage for each OS.

    Usually, though, people use a power distribution to model this kind of
    thing. That is,

    -k
    S(r) = r

    for some constant k. Using his rank data, Linux wins under a power
    distribution if k < ~0.64, and Windows wins if k > ~0.64.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  11. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    shmell_dakaka@hotmail.com wrote:

    > On Sep 16, 6:41*pm, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> ... Linux!
    >>
    >> http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...TF8&rs=565108&...
    >>
    >> And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >>
    >> http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >>
    >> Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    >> sales ...
    >>
    >> Well, over to you dumb Wintrolls, to come up with an imaginative
    >> explanation how "nobody wants Linux", and "Everyone wants Windows".
    >> Clearly Amazon's customers choose Linux over Windows ...

    > These are cheap machines that go for under $400... At that price, they
    > will probably sell even with Linux...

    Boy oh boy, you Wintrolls sure are thick. First of all, if you look at
    models and pricing, you'll find that for the same models of the Eee PC
    (900, 901), the Linux version outsells the XP version every time -- and
    that with the XP version of the '901 even being cheaper! How do you explain
    that people don't choose the XP version over the Linux version? Remember,
    they have a real choice here, so there's no reason not to choose XP right
    away. But don't come up with crap like "they blindly bought Linux machines
    and then they found out it was a mistake."

    > Once users find out they cannot run the good software on it, they either
    > return them or upgrade to Vista Basic.

    Oh man! You almost made me spill my coffee here! Even if it were possible to
    downgrade those nifty Linux machines to Vista (which it isn't), have you
    *any* idea what would happen? Let me tell you: nothing. As in: won't run.
    Won't even crawl. Put Vista on those small laptops, and they're instantly
    useless.

    The truth is quite the reverse: so far, I've had almost two dozen people
    asking me to upgrade their Vista boxen to Linux, simply because Vista is
    slow, overbloated crap.

    >> And Vista? Well, we all know it's a dismal failure, and it shows --
    >> Amazon's customers don't want it for sure: the first Vista machine is in
    >> the 18th place, and the top 25 only features 3 Vista machines ...

    > Check the Vista numbers against all Linux distros in Linux history....
    > Vista wins ;-)

    That's because in retail, people don't get to choose. It's Vista or nothing.
    Or, if you're feeling like spending a wad, a MacBook. In the low-end laptop
    market, Linux is seriously chewing Microsoft's leg wherever people have a
    choice. In the UK, the Linux version of Asus' Eee PC outsold the XP version
    in retail. And to my knowledge still does, consistently.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  12. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    On 2008-09-16, shmell_dakaka@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 16, 6:41*pm, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    > These are cheap machines that go for under $400... At that price, they
    > will probably sell even with Linux... Once users find out they cannot
    > run the good software on it, they either return them or upgrade to
    > Vista Basic.

    Any evidence that people are doing such things or is this all your own
    fantasy?

    >> And Vista? Well, we all know it's a dismal failure, and it shows -- Amazon's
    >> customers don't want it for sure: the first Vista machine is in the 18th
    >> place, and the top 25 only features 3 Vista machines ...

    > Check the Vista numbers against all Linux distros in Linux history....

    What numbers? None are reliable.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  13. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Tim Smith writes:

    >> > Seriously, could you explain your spreadsheet please?

    >> Please.
    >> I don't get it?

    > What he is doing is assuming that sales numbers follow an exponential
    > curve, where the sales, S(r), for the item whose rank is r (r is an
    > integer in [1,25]) is:
    >
    > 1-r/30
    > S(r) = e - 1

    Aha. More lies then from him. I thought so.

  14. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > shmell_dakaka@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 16, 6:41*pm, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>> ... Linux!
    >>>
    >>> http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...TF8&rs=565108&...
    >>>
    >>> And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >>>
    >>> Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    >>> sales ...
    >>>
    >>> Well, over to you dumb Wintrolls, to come up with an imaginative
    >>> explanation how "nobody wants Linux", and "Everyone wants Windows".
    >>> Clearly Amazon's customers choose Linux over Windows ...

    >> These are cheap machines that go for under $400... At that price, they
    >> will probably sell even with Linux...

    > Boy oh boy, you Wintrolls sure are thick. First of all, if you look at
    > models and pricing, you'll find that for the same models of the Eee PC
    > (900, 901), the Linux version outsells the XP version every time -- and
    > that with the XP version of the '901 even being cheaper! How do you explain
    > that people don't choose the XP version over the Linux version? Remember,
    > they have a real choice here, so there's no reason not to choose XP right
    > away. But don't come up with crap like "they blindly bought Linux machines
    > and then they found out it was a mistake."
    >
    >> Once users find out they cannot run the good software on it, they either
    >> return them or upgrade to Vista Basic.

    > Oh man! You almost made me spill my coffee here! Even if it were possible to
    > downgrade those nifty Linux machines to Vista (which it isn't), have you
    > *any* idea what would happen? Let me tell you: nothing. As in: won't run.
    > Won't even crawl. Put Vista on those small laptops, and they're instantly
    > useless.
    >
    > The truth is quite the reverse: so far, I've had almost two dozen people
    > asking me to upgrade their Vista boxen to Linux, simply because Vista is
    > slow, overbloated crap.
    >
    >>> And Vista? Well, we all know it's a dismal failure, and it shows --
    >>> Amazon's customers don't want it for sure: the first Vista machine is in
    >>> the 18th place, and the top 25 only features 3 Vista machines ...

    >> Check the Vista numbers against all Linux distros in Linux history....
    >> Vista wins ;-)

    > That's because in retail, people don't get to choose. It's Vista or nothing.
    > Or, if you're feeling like spending a wad, a MacBook. In the low-end laptop
    > market, Linux is seriously chewing Microsoft's leg wherever people have a
    > choice. In the UK, the Linux version of Asus' Eee PC outsold the XP version
    > in retail. And to my knowledge still does, consistently.
    >
    > Richard Rasker

    You still haven't explained your spreadsheet. I will bet you made the
    numbers up.

    --
    I really think XP is going to be a flop. Between the glut of hardware out
    there (and slowing down of purchasing), and the fact that W2K is

  15. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <48d03620$0$720$7ade8c0d@textreader.nntp.internl.ne t>,
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> ... Linux!

    http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...5108&sort=pmra

    nk&rh=n%3A541966%2Cn%3A565108%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER%2 Cp_availability_class%3A5
    >> -30&page=1
    >>
    >> And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >>
    >> http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >>
    >> Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    >> sales ...

    > Well, that's how it looks using an exponential distribution like you are
    > using, with the particular constant for the decay rate that you used.
    >
    > On the other hand, using a power distribution, for exponents from 0 to
    > -5, here's what it looks like:
    >

    > The x axis in that graph is the negative of the exponent, and the y axis
    > is the fraction of total sales. The blue curve represents Linux, the
    > red curve represents Windows, and the cyan curve represents OS X.
    >
    > If the exponent is in approximately (-0.64, 0], Linux is on top. If the
    > exponent is in approximately [-oo, -0.64), Windows is on top.

    OK, I agree that a power distribution may better reflect the actual
    popularity of items on sale, so I incorporated the power distribution in my
    little spreadsheet, with the exponent defined as number of models in list
    (25) divided by the total number of models considered.

    > Anyone want to try to make an argument as to what values of the exponent
    > are likely?

    Following my logic to the very end, you could argue that the exponent is the
    number of models in the ranking list divided by the total number of items
    on offer (between 200 and 250), i.e. -0.1; however, I think that the actual
    value is more likely around -0.5, or 50 models in all, with the rest
    considered "irrelevant noise". So if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that
    Linux and Windows are selling equally well at the moment -- which still is
    unprecendented for both Linux and Windows. Methinks Microsoft has a severe
    cause for worry ...

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  16. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article <48d03620$0$720$7ade8c0d@textreader.nntp.internl.ne t>,
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>> ... Linux!
    >>>

    > http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...5108&sort=pmra
    >>>

    > nk&rh=n%3A541966%2Cn%3A565108%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER%2 Cp_availability_class%3A5
    >>> -30&page=1
    >>>
    >>> And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >>>
    >>> Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    >>> sales ...

    >> Well, that's how it looks using an exponential distribution like you are
    >> using, with the particular constant for the decay rate that you used.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, using a power distribution, for exponents from 0 to
    >> -5, here's what it looks like:
    >>

    >> The x axis in that graph is the negative of the exponent, and the y axis
    >> is the fraction of total sales. The blue curve represents Linux, the
    >> red curve represents Windows, and the cyan curve represents OS X.
    >>
    >> If the exponent is in approximately (-0.64, 0], Linux is on top. If the
    >> exponent is in approximately [-oo, -0.64), Windows is on top.

    > OK, I agree that a power distribution may better reflect the actual
    > popularity of items on sale, so I incorporated the power distribution
    > in my

    So you made the numbers up?

    Unbelievable.

  17. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Hadron wrote:

    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> shmell_dakaka@hotmail.com wrote:

    http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...TF8&rs=565108&...

    >>> These are cheap machines that go for under $400... At that price, they
    >>> will probably sell even with Linux...

    >> Boy oh boy, you Wintrolls sure are thick. First of all, if you look at
    >> models and pricing, you'll find that for the same models of the Eee PC
    >> (900, 901), the Linux version outsells the XP version every time -- and
    >> that with the XP version of the '901 even being cheaper! How do you
    >> explain that people don't choose the XP version over the Linux version?
    >> Remember, they have a real choice here, so there's no reason not to
    >> choose XP right away. But don't come up with crap like "they blindly
    >> bought Linux machines and then they found out it was a mistake."
    >>
    >>> Once users find out they cannot run the good software on it, they either
    >>> return them or upgrade to Vista Basic.

    >> Oh man! You almost made me spill my coffee here! Even if it were possible
    >> to downgrade those nifty Linux machines to Vista (which it isn't), have
    >> you *any* idea what would happen? Let me tell you: nothing. As in: won't
    >> run. Won't even crawl. Put Vista on those small laptops, and they're
    >> instantly useless.
    >>
    >> The truth is quite the reverse: so far, I've had almost two dozen people
    >> asking me to upgrade their Vista boxen to Linux, simply because Vista is
    >> slow, overbloated crap.

    >>> Check the Vista numbers against all Linux distros in Linux history....
    >>> Vista wins ;-)

    >> That's because in retail, people don't get to choose. It's Vista or
    >> nothing. Or, if you're feeling like spending a wad, a MacBook. In the
    >> low-end laptop market, Linux is seriously chewing Microsoft's leg
    >> wherever people have a choice. In the UK, the Linux version of Asus' Eee
    >> PC outsold the XP version in retail. And to my knowledge still does,
    >> consistently.
    >>
    >> Richard Rasker

    > You still haven't explained your spreadsheet. I will bet you made the
    > numbers up.

    I didn't "make up numbers". What we have, is a ranking and the total number
    of models on offer. What I looked for, was a function best describing
    typical sales percentages as a function of this ranking, i.e. a type of
    declining function. Following up on Tim's remark re "power law" in an
    earlier thread, I chose the exponential decline of an e-power curve --
    which in many cases involving large numbers works pretty well. (And perhaps
    my electronics expertise was another reason why e-type functions appeal to
    me :-)

    When it became clear that he meant an inverted power curve, I incorporated
    that as well -- he appears to be more knowledgeable on this particular
    subject of economical laws than I am. And please note that all this is just
    meant to be an educated guess, not The Absolute Truth. But no matter what
    function you choose, you can safely assume that Linux and Windows sales are
    about the same -- as in: with no more than a 10% difference. And in this
    case, it's more likely that Linux outsells Windows than vice versa (or
    should I say, "Vice Vista"?)

    But then again, your rigid frame of mind rejects anything but proven truths
    as "lies". Predictions? "Lies". Educated guesses? "Lies". Anything
    qualified as "likely" or "probably" or the likes? "Lies". Way to go, that
    man.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  18. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker writes:

    > http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...TF8&rs=565108&...

    >>> Boy oh boy, you Wintrolls sure are thick. First of all, if you look at
    >>> models and pricing, you'll find that for the same models of the Eee PC
    >>> (900, 901), the Linux version outsells the XP version every time -- and
    >>> that with the XP version of the '901 even being cheaper! How do you
    >>> explain that people don't choose the XP version over the Linux version?
    >>> Remember, they have a real choice here, so there's no reason not to
    >>> choose XP right away. But don't come up with crap like "they blindly
    >>> bought Linux machines and then they found out it was a mistake."

    >>> Oh man! You almost made me spill my coffee here! Even if it were possible
    >>> to downgrade those nifty Linux machines to Vista (which it isn't), have
    >>> you *any* idea what would happen? Let me tell you: nothing. As in: won't
    >>> run. Won't even crawl. Put Vista on those small laptops, and they're
    >>> instantly useless.
    >>>
    >>> The truth is quite the reverse: so far, I've had almost two dozen people
    >>> asking me to upgrade their Vista boxen to Linux, simply because Vista is
    >>> slow, overbloated crap.

    >>> That's because in retail, people don't get to choose. It's Vista or
    >>> nothing. Or, if you're feeling like spending a wad, a MacBook. In the
    >>> low-end laptop market, Linux is seriously chewing Microsoft's leg
    >>> wherever people have a choice. In the UK, the Linux version of Asus' Eee
    >>> PC outsold the XP version in retail. And to my knowledge still does,
    >>> consistently.
    >>>
    >>> Richard Rasker

    >> You still haven't explained your spreadsheet. I will bet you made the
    >> numbers up.

    > I didn't "make up numbers". What we have, is a ranking and the total number
    > of models on offer. What I looked for, was a function best describing
    > typical sales percentages as a function of this ranking,

    You're full of **** Richard and you know it. You made the numbers up. If
    you have two products for sale side by side - one is a cut price rolex
    watch for example (RRP 500000, actual price 5) and a plate of **** next
    to it for 100 then I can assure you that the sales numbers can not be
    predicted using your declining function.

    You are, as usual, blowing hot air. Why? You seem intelligent enough not
    to have to "Lie for Lienux".

  19. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Hadron wrote:

    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> You still haven't explained your spreadsheet. I will bet you made the
    >>> numbers up.

    >> I didn't "make up numbers". What we have, is a ranking and the total
    >> number of models on offer. What I looked for, was a function best
    >> describing typical sales percentages as a function of this ranking,

    > You're full of **** Richard and you know it. You made the numbers up. If
    > you have two products for sale side by side - one is a cut price rolex
    > watch for example (RRP 500000, actual price 5) and a plate of **** next
    > to it for 100 then I can assure you that the sales numbers can not be
    > predicted using your declining function.

    You appear to have no grasp of the mathematical concept of "statistics"
    whatsoever, other than perhaps the old adage "lies, damn lies and
    statistics". Fine with me, but please stay out of discussions involving
    this subject. Or do you routinely call scientists, weather forecasters and
    anyone else who use statistics "liars"?

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  20. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker writes:

    >>> I didn't "make up numbers". What we have, is a ranking and the total
    >>> number of models on offer. What I looked for, was a function best
    >>> describing typical sales percentages as a function of this ranking,

    >> You're full of **** Richard and you know it. You made the numbers up. If
    >> you have two products for sale side by side - one is a cut price rolex
    >> watch for example (RRP 500000, actual price 5) and a plate of **** next
    >> to it for 100 then I can assure you that the sales numbers can not be
    >> predicted using your declining function.

    > You appear to have no grasp of the mathematical concept of "statistics"
    > whatsoever, other than perhaps the old adage "lies, damn lies and
    > statistics". Fine with me, but please stay out of discussions involving
    > this subject. Or do you routinely call scientists, weather forecasters and
    > anyone else who use statistics "liars"?

    Weird considering you and others do not think a REAL sample like the BBC
    means anything. Yet you can pluck numbers out of your arse to determine
    the ratio between the adjacent "best sellers".

    Face it Rasker - you have been rumbled once more.

    Your graphs are meaningless.

    --
    "Ignore the forging nym-shifting troll who pretends to be chrisv! I'm the *REAL* chrisv!"
    chrisv, COLA.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast