Amazon's best selling laptops run ... - Linux

This is a discussion on Amazon's best selling laptops run ... - Linux ; * Richard Rasker peremptorily fired off this memo: > Hadron wrote: >> >> You still haven't explained your spreadsheet. I will bet you made the >> numbers up. > > I didn't "make up numbers". Pay him no mind. That's ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

  1. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Pay him no mind. That's just Hadrone wearing his ****-colored glasses.

    > When it became clear that he meant an inverted power curve, I incorporated
    > that as well -- he appears to be more knowledgeable on this particular
    > subject of economical laws than I am. And please note that all this is just
    > meant to be an educated guess, not The Absolute Truth. But no matter what
    > function you choose, you can safely assume that Linux and Windows sales are
    > about the same -- as in: with no more than a 10% difference. And in this
    > case, it's more likely that Linux outsells Windows than vice versa (or
    > should I say, "Vice Vista"?)
    >
    > But then again, your rigid frame of mind rejects anything but proven truths
    > as "lies". Predictions? "Lies". Educated guesses? "Lies". Anything
    > qualified as "likely" or "probably" or the likes? "Lies". Way to go, that
    > man.

    Yup, it's them crap-shaded spectacles o' Hadrone's .

    His eyes perceive only a narrow band of the visible spectrum:

    ROY G BIV
    ^

    -------- brown

    --
    I'll be Grateful when they're Dead.

  2. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...%3A5-30&page=1

    > And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >
    > http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >
    > Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    > sales ...
    >
    > Well, over to you dumb Wintrolls, to come up with an imaginative explanation
    > how "nobody wants Linux", and "Everyone wants Windows". Clearly Amazon's
    > customers choose Linux over Windows ...
    >
    > And Vista? Well, we all know it's a dismal failure, and it shows -- Amazon's
    > customers don't want it for sure: the first Vista machine is in the 18th
    > place, and the top 25 only features 3 Vista machines ...

    OK - I see what you are on about now:-)

    I tried Amazon UK, but just for the Acer Aspire One, sorting into Bestselling.
    Here's what I got (no doubt changes day by day), where it's
    RAM/Disk/OS/(colour), of course:-

    1. 1/120/Linux(blue)
    2. 1/120/XP(blue)
    3. 0.5/8/Linux(white)
    4. 0.5/8/Linux(blue)
    5. 0.5/120/XP(blue)
    6. 0.5/120/Linux(white)
    7. 0.5/120/Linux(blue)
    8. 1/120/Linux(white)
    9. 0.5/120/XP(white)
    10. 1/120/XP(white)
    11. Case
    12. Charger

    In effect, the models are:-
    1GB/120GB - Linux 1st and 8th, XP 2nd and 10th
    0.5GB/8GB - Linux 3rd and 4th
    0.5GB/120GB - Linux 6th and 7th. XP 5th and 9th

    It seems very convincing to me. In a two-horse race, XP comes second!

  3. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    In article <48d0b9e9$0$720$7ade8c0d@textreader.nntp.internl.ne t>,
    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > Boy oh boy, you Wintrolls sure are thick. First of all, if you look at
    > models and pricing, you'll find that for the same models of the Eee PC
    > (900, 901), the Linux version outsells the XP version every time -- and
    > that with the XP version of the '901 even being cheaper! How do you explain
    > that people don't choose the XP version over the Linux version? Remember,
    > they have a real choice here, so there's no reason not to choose XP right
    > away. But don't come up with crap like "they blindly bought Linux machines
    > and then they found out it was a mistake."

    Note that if you pick the Acer Aspire rather than the ASUS EEE for
    comparison, it comes out the other way. #1 and #2 are XP, and #3 is
    Linux. The Linux one is also less expensive. So here we have the more
    expensive XP outselling the less expensive Linux.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  4. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:48:52 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Tim Smith writes:

    >>> Please.
    >>> I don't get it?

    >> What he is doing is assuming that sales numbers follow an exponential
    >> curve, where the sales, S(r), for the item whose rank is r (r is an
    >> integer in [1,25]) is:
    >>
    >> 1-r/30
    >> S(r) = e - 1

    > Aha. More lies then from him. I thought so.

    Thanks to Tim for explaining this because I could not figure out how those
    conclusions were being arrived at.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:48:52 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >> Tim Smith writes:
    >>>
    >>> What he is doing is assuming that sales numbers follow an exponential
    >>> curve, where the sales, S(r), for the item whose rank is r (r is an
    >>> integer in [1,25]) is:
    >>>
    >>> 1-r/30
    >>> S(r) = e - 1

    >> Aha. More lies then from him. I thought so.

    *LMAO* at Hadrone. What a ridiculous prick.

    > Thanks to Tim for explaining this because I could not figure out how those
    > conclusions were being arrived at.

    Tim, although he can be /annoying/ , knows a lot of stuff, and,
    even better, will dig into it deeper than most people, including myself,
    will do.

    --
    Technology is a constand battle between manufacturers producing bigger and
    more idiot-proof systems and nature producing bigger and better idiots.

  6. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    > In article ,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> You're full of **** Richard and you know it. You made the numbers up. If
    >> you have two products for sale side by side - one is a cut price rolex
    >> watch for example (RRP 500000, actual price 5) and a plate of **** next
    >> to it for 100 then I can assure you that the sales numbers can not be
    >> predicted using your declining function.
    >>
    >> You are, as usual, blowing hot air. Why? You seem intelligent enough not
    >> to have to "Lie for Lienux".

    What a pompous, ridiculous, yet self-important prick.

    > But if you have 100 watches on sale, or 100 books, or 100 of anything
    > where the things are competing in the same market space, then in fact
    > you can predict the shape of the sales curve.

    Indeed. However, Hadrone is quick to wave the "Liar" card.

    Why? Because he knows the outcome he wants ahead of time.

    --
    Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.
    -- Proverbs, 26:5

  7. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article ,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> You're full of **** Richard and you know it. You made the numbers up. If
    >> you have two products for sale side by side - one is a cut price rolex
    >> watch for example (RRP 500000, actual price 5) and a plate of **** next
    >> to it for 100 then I can assure you that the sales numbers can not be
    >> predicted using your declining function.
    >>
    >> You are, as usual, blowing hot air. Why? You seem intelligent enough not
    >> to have to "Lie for Lienux".

    > But if you have 100 watches on sale, or 100 books, or 100 of anything
    > where the things are competing in the same market space, then in fact
    > you can predict the shape of the sales curve.

    You can estimate it. If the products are of similar quality and have
    similar market exposure.

    --
    BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!

  8. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Linonut wrote:

    >* Richard Rasker peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >> You appear to have no grasp of the mathematical concept of "statistics"
    >> whatsoever, other than perhaps the old adage "lies, damn lies and
    >> statistics". Fine with me, but please stay out of discussions involving
    >> this subject. Or do you routinely call scientists, weather forecasters and
    >> anyone else who use statistics "liars"?

    >Hadrone, like most overly-suspicious people, is a known liar, and thus
    >suspects everyone else of the same trait.

    Exactly! Immoral people don't really understand how moral people
    think. They tend to be very suspicious of others, as you say.

    On the other side, moral, decent people are often targeting by
    scammers and con-artists. They cannot believe that people who "act so
    nice" could be so immoral.

  9. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Linonut wrote:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron snotted:
    >>>
    >>> You still haven't explained your spreadsheet. I will bet you made the
    >>> numbers up.

    >> I didn't "make up numbers".

    >Pay him no mind. That's just Hadrone wearing his ****-colored glasses.

    Ignore the troll! 8)

    --
    "Because no one wants it as their office desktop. They all use
    windows." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

  10. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    chrisv writes:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >>* Richard Rasker peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>>
    >>> You appear to have no grasp of the mathematical concept of "statistics"
    >>> whatsoever, other than perhaps the old adage "lies, damn lies and
    >>> statistics". Fine with me, but please stay out of discussions involving
    >>> this subject. Or do you routinely call scientists, weather forecasters and
    >>> anyone else who use statistics "liars"?

    >>Hadrone, like most overly-suspicious people, is a known liar, and thus
    >>suspects everyone else of the same trait.

    Poor Liarmutt. "I'm not but I know you are".

    > Exactly! Immoral people don't really understand how moral people
    > think. They tend to be very suspicious of others, as you say.

    And yet every poast you make you swear and cast dispersions about their
    integrity. Pot. kettle. Black.

    > On the other side, moral, decent people are often targeting by
    > scammers and con-artists. They cannot believe that people who "act so
    > nice" could be so immoral.

    Or what a useless waste of oxygen you are.

    --
    BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!

  11. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    chrisv writes:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hadron snotted:

    >>> I didn't "make up numbers".

    >>Pay him no mind. That's just Hadrone wearing his ****-colored glasses.

    > Ignore the troll! 8)

    So would you like to point out the "real numbers" Rasker based all this
    on?

    --
    BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!

  12. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:05:46 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Aha. More lies then from him. I thought so.

    > *LMAO* at Hadrone. What a ridiculous prick.
    >
    >> Thanks to Tim for explaining this because I could not figure out how those
    >> conclusions were being arrived at.

    > Tim, although he can be /annoying/ , knows a lot of stuff, and,
    > even better, will dig into it deeper than most people, including myself,
    > will do.

    I'll admit my abilities as far as statistical mathematics is long gone
    since college because I don't use it.
    Same for calculus, differential equations and finite math...
    Oh well, "dat's what weeez got komputers for"
    haha
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  13. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    "Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    news:48d03620$0$720$7ade8c0d@textreader.nntp.inter nl.net...

    > ... Linux!
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...%3A5-30&page=1
    >
    > And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >
    > http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >
    > Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    > sales ...
    >
    > Well, over to you dumb Wintrolls, to come up with an imaginative
    > explanation
    > how "nobody wants Linux", and "Everyone wants Windows". Clearly Amazon's
    > customers choose Linux over Windows ...
    >
    > And Vista? Well, we all know it's a dismal failure, and it shows --
    > Amazon's
    > customers don't want it for sure: the first Vista machine is in the 18th
    > place, and the top 25 only features 3 Vista machines ...
    >
    > Richard Rasker
    > --
    > http://www.linetec.nl

    The Aspire One looks interesting. I need something for portable web access.
    Does anyone know how long the batteries will last with a full charge? Are
    they replaceable?

  14. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    On Sep 17, 1:18 pm, "Ralph Edwards" wrote:
    > "Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    >
    > news:48d03620$0$720$7ade8c0d@textreader.nntp.inter nl.net...
    >

    > > ... Linux!

    > >http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...TF8&rs=565108&...

    > > And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:

    > >http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods

    > > Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    > > sales ...

    > > Well, over to you dumb Wintrolls, to come up with an imaginative
    > > explanation
    > > how "nobody wants Linux", and "Everyone wants Windows". Clearly Amazon's
    > > customers choose Linux over Windows ...

    > > And Vista? Well, we all know it's a dismal failure, and it shows --
    > > Amazon's
    > > customers don't want it for sure: the first Vista machine is in the 18th
    > > place, and the top 25 only features 3 Vista machines ...

    > > Richard Rasker
    > > --
    > >http://www.linetec.nl

    > The Aspire One looks interesting. I need something for portable web access.
    > Does anyone know how long the batteries will last with a full charge? Are
    > they replaceable?

    See this article. Hope it helps.

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...hes-linux-hard

  15. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    ____/ Ralph Edwards on Wednesday 17 September 2008 20:18 : \____

    > "Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    > news:48d03620$0$720$7ade8c0d@textreader.nntp.inter nl.net...
    >>
    >> ... Linux!

    http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...%3A5-30&page=1

    >> And this is how it looks in my little spreadsheet:
    >>
    >> http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >>
    >> Whoops! Linux left Windows in the dust, accounting for almost half of all
    >> sales ...
    >>
    >> Well, over to you dumb Wintrolls, to come up with an imaginative
    >> explanation
    >> how "nobody wants Linux", and "Everyone wants Windows". Clearly Amazon's
    >> customers choose Linux over Windows ...
    >>
    >> And Vista? Well, we all know it's a dismal failure, and it shows --
    >> Amazon's
    >> customers don't want it for sure: the first Vista machine is in the 18th
    >> place, and the top 25 only features 3 Vista machines ...
    >>
    >> Richard Rasker
    >> --
    >> http://www.linetec.nl

    > The Aspire One looks interesting. I need something for portable web access.
    > Does anyone know how long the batteries will last with a full charge? Are
    > they replaceable?

    You can get the 6-cell unit, which lasts for -- just guesstimating -- about 4-5
    hours of use. This unit isn't available with Linpus in Australia for some
    reason, but I've read that Amazon stocks it. Newegg too, IIRC. The 3-cell unit
    can come with more batteries separately, but that's expensive.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | {Hide sig} {Show sig} >{Close Application}<
    Tasks: 136 total, 1 running, 130 sleeping, 0 stopped, 5 zombie

  16. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Hadron wrote:

    > chrisv writes:
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:

    >>>Pay him no mind. That's just Hadrone wearing his ****-colored glasses.

    >> Ignore the troll! 8)

    > So would you like to point out the "real numbers" Rasker based all this
    > on?

    Nope. Far better

    *You* will pinpoint where he made the numbers up

    After all, you claimed he did. Your math should prove interesting
    --
    Don't steal. Microsoft hates competition.

  17. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Ralph Edwards wrote:

    > The Aspire One looks interesting. ¬*I need something for portable web access.
    > Does anyone know how long the batteries will last with a full charge? Are
    > they replaceable?

    Take a look at:-

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9114478

    They give it 5 hours 15 minutes, but that is (as it says on a later page) the
    bigger battery.
    Bear in mind that if you buy a bigger battery separately, you are able to
    carry around the charged old one as a spare, just in case:-)

  18. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> chrisv writes:

    >>> Ignore the troll! 8)

    >> So would you like to point out the "real numbers" Rasker based all this
    >> on?
    >>

    > Nope. Far better
    >
    > *You* will pinpoint where he made the numbers up

    Err, in his post.

    > After all, you claimed he did. Your math should prove interesting

    --
    "Vista actually requires more ram than a 32bit cpu can
    address."

  19. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    Hadron wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> So would you like to point out the "real numbers" Rasker based all this
    >>> on?
    >>>

    >> Nope. Far better
    >>
    >> *You* will pinpoint where he made the numbers up

    > Err, in his post.

    Ah, yes. Now please *explain* (as in "pinpoint") what points to his "making
    the numbers up"

    >> After all, you claimed he did. Your math should prove interesting

    And just repeating that he did make them up won't cut the mustard
    --
    Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware

  20. Re: Amazon's best selling laptops run ...

    "Peter KŲhlmann" stated in post
    48d17d8b$0$18731$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net on 9/17/08 2:58 PM:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> chrisv writes:

    >>> Ignore the troll! 8)

    >> So would you like to point out the "real numbers" Rasker based all this
    >> on?
    >>

    > Nope. Far better
    >
    > *You* will pinpoint where he made the numbers up
    >
    > After all, you claimed he did. Your math should prove interesting

    Shall we look at your unsupported claims? LOL!

    --
    I am one of only .3% of people who have avoided becoming a statistic.