Amarok really does Rock! - Linux

This is a discussion on Amarok really does Rock! - Linux ; Well now that I finally found a version of Linux where Amarok works the way it should work, I can understand why others were screaming at me when I would trash the program. It really is a very nice program, ...

  1. Amarok really does Rock!

    Well now that I finally found a version of Linux where Amarok works the way
    it should work, I can understand why others were screaming at me when I
    would trash the program.

    It really is a very nice program, although the interface does take getting
    used to.

    The key is that this is not a "click and play" type player along the lines
    of say Xmms.
    Understanding how the playlists work is the key to using the program and
    they are a bit odd in their methodology.
    It took a while to learn but I'm starting to get it and I like the program.

    I do wonder why I get wildly different results with various distributions
    though?
    For the record, Ubuntu Gnome Hardy runs Amarok perfectly if you select
    MySQL instead of SQLite, at least for me.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Amarok really does Rock!

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > For the record, Ubuntu Gnome Hardy runs Amarok perfectly if you select
    > MySQL instead of SQLite, at least for me.

    Me too. Here's a useful how-to:

    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux...c-collections/

  3. Re: Amarok really does Rock!

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:08:23 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> For the record, Ubuntu Gnome Hardy runs Amarok perfectly if you select
    >> MySQL instead of SQLite, at least for me.
    >>

    > Me too. Here's a useful how-to:
    >
    > http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux...c-collections/

    That's the one I used!
    I wish I had found that out a long time ago because I have wanted to use
    Amarok but could never get it to work correctly.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  4. Re: Amarok really does Rock!

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:08:23 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> For the record, Ubuntu Gnome Hardy runs Amarok perfectly if you select
    >>> MySQL instead of SQLite, at least for me.
    >>>

    >> Me too. Here's a useful how-to:
    >>
    >> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux...c-collections/

    > That's the one I used!
    > I wish I had found that out a long time ago because I have wanted to use
    > Amarok but could never get it to work correctly.

    Although I do use Amarok for my collection I still dont like the
    playlists. But suddenly I had the idea to play with the DB again. So I
    deleted the local DB stuff and created a remote mysql server on my
    mailserver/web server/dhcp/DNS server.

    opened up port 3306 on the server, configured firestarter to only accept
    incoming from development machine (for now) and voila -
    pointed Amarok to amarokdb at mailserver.mydomain.net and it worked like
    a dream.

    next step will be to move the music there too and connect over sshfs to
    listen to my collection from anywhere in the world. nice.

    --
    "The Linux community re-invents the wheel every month or so. The only
    problem is, their version is square"

  5. Re: Amarok really does Rock!

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 01:25:08 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Although I do use Amarok for my collection I still dont like the
    > playlists. But suddenly I had the idea to play with the DB again. So I
    > deleted the local DB stuff and created a remote mysql server on my
    > mailserver/web server/dhcp/DNS server.
    >
    > opened up port 3306 on the server, configured firestarter to only accept
    > incoming from development machine (for now) and voila -
    > pointed Amarok to amarokdb at mailserver.mydomain.net and it worked like
    > a dream.
    >
    > next step will be to move the music there too and connect over sshfs to
    > listen to my collection from anywhere in the world. nice.

    It's a pretty amazing program when set up properly and working.
    Play lists do take getting used to though as does the basic workings of the
    program but once you figure it out it becomes easy.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/