As App Store banning continues, iPhone developers protest

,----[ Quote ]
| Developers have already voiced their concern over Apple’s unwritten rules of
| what can and cannot be sold through the App Store, but the situation has
| become even more dire with this most recent round of rejections. It's
| prompted some, such as Fraser Speirs, developer of iPhone Flickr browser
| Exposure, to say that they’ll cease developing for the platform until Apple
| clarifies the rules.

New iPhone Chip Will Cost an ARM and a Missile

,----[ Quote ]
| Given Apple’s super-secretive ways, it’s quite a shock to find a company
| engineer disclosing something about the iPhone’s future innards on a public
| social networking site.

Apple Takes the "Tris" Out of iPhone Tetris

,----[ Quote ]
| Now a student named Noah Witherspoon that created an iPhone Tetris knock-off
| called simply "Tris," has been threatened with legal action by The Tetris
| Company. In what he refers to as "petty bullying," the company had Apple
| contact Witherspoon and had him pull the game from the iTunes App Store.
| Apple even told him that they'd take action themselves if he didn't comply.

Hackintosh maker bites back at Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| Psystar, the company that sells open systems capable of running Mac OS X,
| plans to fight back against the copyright infringement lawsuit Apple has
| filed against it.
| The Miami-based firm said during a press conference this afternoon it plans
| to challenge Apple's long-standing licensing ban on running the Mac operating
| system on non-Apple branded devices.

Apple rapped for iPhone ad

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple stated that though the iPhone supported open standards, Java and Flash
| were not open-source and required a plug-in to make them work, even using a
| desktop computer.

OpenClip, she is dead

,----[ Quote ]
| For those of you who do not remember - or do not care to remember - OpenClip
| was supposed to be an open framework for implementing the Cocoa NSPasteboard
| functionality to the iPhone. While I’m thinking that if Apple wanted to
| implement copy/paste into the iPhone they would have done it already or will
| do it soon, OpenClip was a noble effort to work around the limitations of OS
| X on the iPhone.

Steve Jobs's Obituary, As Run By Bloomberg

,----[ Quote ]
| The Bloomberg financial newswire decided to update its 17-page Steve Jobs
| obituary today — and inadvertently published it in the process. Some
| investors were undoubtedly rattled to see, as our tipster did late this
| afternoon, the Apple CEO's obit cross the wire and then suddenly disappear.
| Jobs's battle with pancreatic cancer, and speculation over his health, jarred
| Wall Street earlier this year and continues to be the subject of speculation.
| The Times weighed in on the matter as recently as last month, when columnist
| Joe Nocera spoke with the secretive tech executive. But news organizations
| routinely prepare obituaries in advance, even for the healthy.

Why does Apple Always Seem to Get a Break???

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux. This is the only platform that is not a prison. You are really free
| with Linux. People are congregating at will, building creative new
| structures. Yeah – maybe it isn’t as pretty as the luxury hotel prison that
| is Apple, but at least we are free. In the end it isn’t prison walls that win
| in technology. CompuServe and AOL were beaten by the internet. Centrally
| controlled mainframes were killed by the PC. Over time the best technology
| comes from innovation in unexpected places and while we are occasionally
| wooed by the pretty sounds of “You’ve Got Mail” or the stunning design of a
| new iPhone; we have all seen this movie before and know how it ends.

Steve Jobs thinks he is disabled

,----[ Quote ]
| APPLE MESSIAH Steve Jobs has been a bit sick lately but according to US
| gossip reports it could be a lot worse than anyone thought.
| The sultan of smug has been seen parking his motor in a disabled carparks in
| Palo-Alto much to the horror of Apple fans who believe him to be capable of
| healing the sick with his beautiful entertainment toys.

Apple's Jobs brushes aside backdating concerns

,----[ Quote ]
| After presiding over a 50 percent rise in Apple's stock over the
| past year, CEO Steve Jobs can afford to shrug off shareholder
| questions about stock option backdating and environmental policies.

Apple board backs Jobs against ex-CFO allegations shock

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's Board of Directors is backing CEO Steve Jobs after former
| CFO Fred Anderson accused Jobs approving the company's stock
| option backdating. Anderson settled civil charges against him
| Tuesday without admitting any guilt, but agreeing to pay back
| approximately $3.5m to make up for personal gains in the scandal.

Options troubles aren't over for Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| But one of the accused -- former Chief Financial Officer Fred Anderson --
| pointed a finger at his former boss, Steve Jobs, raising new accusations
| that experts say could land Jobs in some legal hot water if true.
| [...]
| Gene Munster, a financial analyst at Piper Jaffray, said Anderson's
| accusations will fuel investors' worries over Jobs and his critical role in
| Apple's continued success.
| "It gives the appearance that, 'I had a partner in crime and it was Steve
| Jobs,'" Munster said.

Microsoft's past stock options practice poses questions

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft in 1999 announced that it would end a policy of awarding
| options at monthly lows and said it would take a $217 million charge,
| though many details of that discontinued practice haven't been widely
| known, The Wall Street Journal said Friday.
| Those details raise questions about how Microsoft began the practice,
| what prompted the company to end it and whether the way the options
| were dated--at 30-day lows the month after they were
| granted--influenced other companies, it said.

gal silences Hymn

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has fired a cease and desist order against the developers behind the
| open-source Hymn Project.
| Hymn develops software that strips Apple's FairPlay digital rights management
| (DRM) technology from user's iTunes purchases, allowing music fans to play
| their music on devices other than those from Apple. *

Apple goes auntie over slasher comic

,----[ Quote ]
| the application because it breaches their SDK license, serving up content
| that "...in Apple's reasonable judgment may be found objectionable". The
| problem is that this restriction only applies to applications. Dodgy movies,
| episodes of South Park or even The Breakfast Club are perfectly acceptable
| iTunes content.

A Linux User's Perspective on the ITunes Store (and DRM in General)

,----[ Quote ]
| What if tomorrow you went to Best Buy or Walmart or Sam Goody and purchased a
| CD? What if, before you left the store, the salesman told you that although
| the CD was in all other respects a standard CD, that you could only play it
| if you owned a Pioneer or Sony stereo? Would that make any sense? Would it
| make you a bit hesitant about buying music from that store again?
| Well, if you purchase music or videos from the iTunes Store,
| [...]
| With content from the iTunes Store, however, users may find themselves a bit
| stuck if they ever want to make the switch to a more open computing platform,
| such as Linux. Because none of the DRM-restricted content from the iTunes
| Store will play on Linux. And it's all because that's how Apple wants it, to
| be honest, and not because of any technical limitation.

Apple's latest trick to enforce digital rights

,----[ Quote ]
| [...]
| With this version of iTunes, users were finding that music
| subjected to the old download-burn-rip would no longer
| load onto their iPods.

Apple failing to understand open source

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a cost for not being a good Open Source citizen and that
| cost is loss of goodwill in the community. That loss is more
| expensive in the long run than Apple realizes.

Mozilla exec calls Apple's Safari plan 'duopolistic'

,----[ Quote ]
| In the speech predicting how Apple would expand its market share, Jobs showed
| a slide with Safari dominating almost a quarter of the market--a market
| shared only with a single other browser, Internet Explorer. *
| Lilly says he doesn't believe that this was an omission or simplification,
| but instead an indication that Jobs is hoping to steal people who use Firefox
| and other smaller browsers in order to run a "duopoly" with Redmond. *

Researcher Blasts Apple for 'Negligent' Patching

,----[ Quote ]
| A researcher who went public last month with the first iPhone vulnerability
| says Apple's updating of the open-source components it uses in Mac OS X is
| inexcusable and negligent. *

Wozniak hates Open Sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who want
| things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those sort of
| people. *

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)