[News] Cisco is a Heavy GNU/Linux User - Linux

  1. [News] Cisco is a Heavy GNU/Linux User

    Cisco taps Linux for agility, low cost in data center

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | By standardizing on Linux six years ago, Cisco could buy commodity servers,
    | minimizing hardware and computing costs, and "blast through" the
    | virtualization of 3,000 servers in two years, Morgan said. As a result,
    | server utilization has grown from 20% to 68% and could go as high as 80%, he
    | said.
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...330364,00.html
    http://tinyurl.com/6zqwwv

    Recent:

    PostPath: Enterprise-strength open source alternative for Exchange

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I installed PostPath under CentOS 4.5 to test it as both a standalone
    | messaging platform and along with a single Exchange 2003 server. After
    | downloading the installer ./postpath-installer.bin, I installed the PostPath
    | Server Daemon (the PostPath engine), PostPath Recipient Update Service (for
    | use when there is no existing Exchange server), PostPath Administration, and
    | PostPath Webmail.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/145799

    Are Cisco and Red Hat Getting Cozy?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft spent the 1990s ignoring and dismissing competitive threats from
    | Linux. Apparently, Cisco is determined to avoid that mistake in the modern
    | age of Web 2.0 and open applications.
    `----

    http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/06/11/...-getting-cozy/

    Is Cisco vulnerable to open source?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At the heart of Vyatta is VC4, a Linux-based networking system the company
    | claims offers better performance than Cisco gear at a fraction of the price.
    |
    | Early, pre-release views are ecstatic. You have VPN support, QOS
    | functionality, even traffic-shaping. Download it here.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2417

    Cisco: Networking Is Hot Again

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Network operating systems are also keeping the networking market hot. Cisco
    | has recently expanded its operating system lineup to now include IOS, NX-OS
    | and Linux. IOS is Cisco's core internetworking operating system that powers
    | many of its switches and routers, while NX-OS is a purpose built OS for
    | Cisco's Nexus core switching platform.
    |
    | As for Linux, Cisco is using the open source operating system in various
    | areas including the AXP module that turns ISR routers into Linux app servers.
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3744611

    Cisco's Linux-Based ISR Opens Road For Customized Solutions

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At the Cisco Partner Summit 2008 in Honolulu, the San Jose, Calif.-based
    | networking heavyweight unveiled the Cisco Application eXtension Platform *
    | (AXP). The AXP consists of open, Linux-based Cisco ISR hardware modules for
    | application development and hosting to support a tighter integration of the
    | network and applications. * *
    `----

    http://www.crn.com/networking/207401...PSKHSCJUNN2JVN

    One Router to Rule Them All

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's not that often that I get to do first-hand, on-the-scene reporting, so I
    | was somewhat surprised last week to open an email from one of Cisco's PR
    | reps, offering the opportunity to report an announcement of interest to the
    | Linux and Open Source community. Being the curious sort, I couldn't pass up
    | such an opportunity. * *
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...-rule-them-all

    Cisco Reaches Out to Application Developers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | First, let’s review the market landscape: Cisco and Microsoft both want to
    | dominate the unified communications market. To do so, they will need
    | independent software vendors (ISVs) that write applications for their
    | respective platforms. *
    `----

    http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/04/10/...on-developers/

    Cisco Turns Routers Into Linux Application Servers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Networking goliath Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is now opening its Integrated
    | Services Router (ISR) and Cisco Wide Area Application Services (WAAS)
    | platforms to become Linux-based application server platforms. The move could
    | have wide-ranging implications, as Cisco's gear has millions of deployments
    | that now can be leveraged to serve applications directly. * *
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...on+Servers.htm
    http://tinyurl.com/6abfj3

    Related:

    Cisco offers up safe mapping tool as open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is the first we've come across an open source tool from Cisco. What are
    | the others it has offered?
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/18481

    Chambers: We're Not Plumbers Anymore

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | by internetnews.com Chambers responded, "I think that open source or
    | open content is the future. You want to be able to create your own
    | content and we want to do that empowerment."
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news...21313266324796

    Cisco finds that it's not so easy working with Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Apparently Microsoft has "taken limited steps to share users' presence and
    | availabilty information," for fear of losing its ability to own all of the
    | client. *
    |
    | Someone should tell Chambers that in reality it's not so easy working with
    | Microsoft. *
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/communit...s0hb=&story=ht

    Cisco CEO Says Microsoft Screws Its Partners Everytime...Just Like Apple.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If partnering with Microsoft is not a win-win then it must be a win-lose…in
    | Microsoft’s favor of course.
    `----

    http://www.ceosmack.com/2007/07/25/c...st-like-apple/

  2. Re: [News] Cisco is a Heavy GNU/Linux User

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:42:39 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Cisco taps Linux for agility, low cost in data center

    It would be nice if Cisco's own training materials, ie: CBT didn't require
    Windows to run.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: