[News] Ubuntu Adds Proprietary Codecs (Microsoft Junk) to Commercial Offering - Linux

  1. [News] Ubuntu Adds Proprietary Codecs (Microsoft Junk) to Commercial Offering

    Now playing: DVD movies, Windows audio files on Ubuntu Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Life just got easier for users of the downloadable or boxed retail versions
    | of the Ubuntu Linux 8.04 operating system who want easy and cheap ways of
    | adding DVD playback and improved audio capabilities to their machines.
    |
    | Inexpensive add-on applications that will provide audio codecs and a DVD
    | player to expand the multimedia capabilities of the four-year-old Linux
    | operating system are now available for purchase in the Ubuntu online store.
    |
    | Previously, users of the freely downloaded or boxed versions of the Ubuntu
    | Linux 8.04 could run into compatibility troubles while trying to play DVD
    | movies or some types of audio tracks on their computers.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head

    Recent:

    Sun's OMS Video codec project is a means to an end

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun Microsystems is setting out to create an open source, royalty-free video
    | codec. Given the considerable head start of well-known, royalty-free video
    | codecs like Dirac and Theora, you might ask why the world needs another. The
    | answer, according to Sun, is the process the company will use to develop
    | it -- starting with a full-on, careful examination of the patent situation.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I see evidence of the FUD campaign that Glidden describes whenever I read the
    | discussion threads attached to news story about codecs: Fear that developers
    | (or even users) will get sued for patent infringement. Uncertainty about what
    | patents exist and whether it is even possible to know. Doubt that new ideas
    | or patent-unencumbered ideas could ever match the patented, for-profit
    | products.
    |
    | Regardless of whether OMS Video bests H.264 technically or ever makes a dent
    | in the MPEG-LA's market share, this initiative from Sun is important to watch
    | because the development process is a counterattack against the
    | it's-not-worth-trying mindset. That mindset is costing consumers millions of
    | dollars a year in licensing fees, and it has a chilling effect on new work.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/145347

    Packing It In: The Evolution of Online Video and Audio Tech, Part 2

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The business of standardizing compression formats for audio and video files
    | on the Internet is largely dominated by the big companies -- Adobe,
    | Microsoft, etc. Some in the open source community are fighting vendor lock-in
    | by creating superior formats. Now, if only users would adopt them.
    `----

    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/63609.html

    Ubuntu gets the Remix right

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Shuttleworth's company Canonical is behind the Ubuntu Linux distribution and
    | recently announced what it called a Ubuntu Notebook Remix which could be used
    | on certain portable internet-centric devices. In the case of Ubuntu, this is
    | aimed at devices which are built around Intel's Atom procesor. This, of
    | course, is trying to follow in the footsteps of the eeePC which has enjoyed
    | success beyond anybody's wildest dreams.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18737/1090/

    Fluendo Makes Major Update to Linux Codec's

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Fluendo has updated their codecs for the GNU/Linux and Solaris desktop and
    | server systems. The Fluendo codecs plug directly into the popular and widely
    | used GStreamer multimedia framework available on all the major GNU/Linux and
    | Solaris systems. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/a...e-linux-codecs

  2. Re: [News] Ubuntu Adds Proprietary Codecs (Microsoft Junk) to Commercial Offering

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:40:54 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Now playing: DVD movies, Windows audio files on Ubuntu Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Life just got easier for users of the downloadable or boxed retail versions
    >| of the Ubuntu Linux 8.04 operating system who want easy and cheap ways of
    >| adding DVD playback and improved audio capabilities to their machines.
    >|
    >| Inexpensive add-on applications that will provide audio codecs and a DVD
    >| player to expand the multimedia capabilities of the four-year-old Linux
    >| operating system are now available for purchase in the Ubuntu online store.
    >|
    >| Previously, users of the freely downloaded or boxed versions of the Ubuntu
    >| Linux 8.04 could run into compatibility troubles while trying to play DVD
    >| movies or some types of audio tracks on their computers.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head

    Good....
    That should eliminate many of the threads in the Ubuntu forums where noobs
    trash Ubuntu because they can't figure out how to make it play their media.

    This is a good thing.
    Most people are not on some religious pilgrimage for Linux but instead just
    want to USE the operating system and associated programs.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Ubuntu Adds Proprietary Codecs (Microsoft Junk) to Commercial Offering

    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head

    > Good....
    > That should eliminate many of the threads in the Ubuntu forums where noobs
    > trash Ubuntu because they can't figure out how to make it play their media.
    >
    > This is a good thing.
    > Most people are not on some religious pilgrimage for Linux but instead just
    > want to USE the operating system and associated programs.

    It's not a religious pilgrimage so much as a matter of practicality.
    When you use binary code, you're now beholden to the owner of that code
    in some sense, and they can change the terms of the (implicit) deal at
    any time. Looked what happened with MP3, for example.

    That's why the guys at mplayer.hu are so busy, for example.

    I'm personally not opposed to using binary code in general, but all too
    often you can get painted into a corner.

    --
    No people are all bad, just as none are all good.
    Tecumseh, (Shawnee) to his nephew Spemica Lawba 1790

  4. Re: [News] Ubuntu Adds Proprietary Codecs (Microsoft Junk) to Commercial Offering

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 12:53:27 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head

    >> Good....
    >> That should eliminate many of the threads in the Ubuntu forums where noobs
    >> trash Ubuntu because they can't figure out how to make it play their media.
    >>
    >> This is a good thing.
    >> Most people are not on some religious pilgrimage for Linux but instead just
    >> want to USE the operating system and associated programs.

    > It's not a religious pilgrimage so much as a matter of practicality.
    > When you use binary code, you're now beholden to the owner of that code
    > in some sense, and they can change the terms of the (implicit) deal at
    > any time. Looked what happened with MP3, for example.
    >
    > That's why the guys at mplayer.hu are so busy, for example.
    >
    > I'm personally not opposed to using binary code in general, but all too
    > often you can get painted into a corner.

    Given the choice of a FOSS CODEC pack and a proprietary one and assuming
    they both worked equally, I would go for the FoSS one every time.
    The problem is that is usually not the case.
    I hate being locked in and I hate being on some sort of mandatory upgrade
    mill like VCR/DVD/Blueray etc.

    For a lot of these people I wonder how much of the venom directed at
    proprietary solutions is more of a hate of the concept vs the actual
    benefits to THEM of using FOSS solutions.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  5. Re: [News] Ubuntu Adds Proprietary Codecs (Microsoft Junk) to Commercial Offering

    On 2008-09-16, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 12:53:27 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Good....
    >>> That should eliminate many of the threads in the Ubuntu forums where noobs
    >>> trash Ubuntu because they can't figure out how to make it play their media.
    >>>
    >>> This is a good thing.
    >>> Most people are not on some religious pilgrimage for Linux but instead just
    >>> want to USE the operating system and associated programs.

    >> It's not a religious pilgrimage so much as a matter of practicality.
    >> When you use binary code, you're now beholden to the owner of that code
    >> in some sense, and they can change the terms of the (implicit) deal at
    >> any time. Looked what happened with MP3, for example.
    >>
    >> That's why the guys at mplayer.hu are so busy, for example.
    >>
    >> I'm personally not opposed to using binary code in general, but all too
    >> often you can get painted into a corner.

    > Given the choice of a FOSS CODEC pack and a proprietary one and assuming
    > they both worked equally, I would go for the FoSS one every time.
    > The problem is that is usually not the case.

    ....well then isn't it funny that if you try to open an h264 AVI
    file up on a pristine vendor installed copy of Vista you will
    be directed to a crude download of ffmpeg.

    Ubuntu is a LOT easier to deal with in this respect than any
    version of Windows. A vendor installed copy might have all the
    bells and whistles already put in place and paid for. That's a
    benefit of buying an HP or Dell and really doesn't have much
    to do with the fact that it's Windows.

    > I hate being locked in and I hate being on some sort of mandatory upgrade
    > mill like VCR/DVD/Blueray etc.
    >
    > For a lot of these people I wonder how much of the venom directed at
    > proprietary solutions is more of a hate of the concept vs the actual
    > benefits to THEM of using FOSS solutions.

    --
    If you are going to judge Linux based on how easy
    it is to get onto a Macintosh. Let's try installing |||

  6. Re: [News] Ubuntu Adds Proprietary Codecs (Microsoft Junk) to Commercial Offering

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:11:21 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-09-16, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 12:53:27 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> It's not a religious pilgrimage so much as a matter of practicality.
    >>> When you use binary code, you're now beholden to the owner of that code
    >>> in some sense, and they can change the terms of the (implicit) deal at
    >>> any time. Looked what happened with MP3, for example.
    >>>
    >>> That's why the guys at mplayer.hu are so busy, for example.
    >>>
    >>> I'm personally not opposed to using binary code in general, but all too
    >>> often you can get painted into a corner.

    >> Given the choice of a FOSS CODEC pack and a proprietary one and assuming
    >> they both worked equally, I would go for the FoSS one every time.
    >> The problem is that is usually not the case.

    > ...well then isn't it funny that if you try to open an h264 AVI
    > file up on a pristine vendor installed copy of Vista you will
    > be directed to a crude download of ffmpeg.

    Haven't tried, but I'll take your word for it.

    > Ubuntu is a LOT easier to deal with in this respect than any
    > version of Windows. A vendor installed copy might have all the
    > bells and whistles already put in place and paid for. That's a
    > benefit of buying an HP or Dell and really doesn't have much
    > to do with the fact that it's Windows.

    Actually I agree with you here....
    CODECS for Windows are easy to find however as long as you don't depend
    upon Media Player to find them for you.
    I don't think I have ever had that work correctly.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  7. Re: [News] Ubuntu Adds Proprietary Codecs (Microsoft Junk) to Commercial Offering

    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 12:53:27 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    > Given the choice of a FOSS CODEC pack and a proprietary one and assuming
    > they both worked equally, I would go for the FoSS one every time.
    > The problem is that is usually not the case.

    I can't really judge on that, because I use no proprietary codecs, as
    far as I know.

    > I hate being locked in and I hate being on some sort of mandatory upgrade
    > mill like VCR/DVD/Blueray etc.
    >
    > For a lot of these people I wonder how much of the venom directed at
    > proprietary solutions is more of a hate of the concept vs the actual
    > benefits to THEM of using FOSS solutions.

    Well, sometimes you find that the proprietary vendor just doesn't quite
    get the concept with Linux. Awful installers, primitive make-files,
    extreme bloatware.

    I can appreciate that VMware wants a stable platform on which to run
    their stuff, but do they really need to stick 190 Mb of version-specific
    standard Linux libraries into /usr/lib/vmware?

  8. Re: [News] Ubuntu Adds Proprietary Codecs (Microsoft Junk) to Commercial Offering

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:13:41 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> ...well then isn't it funny that if you try to open an h264 AVI
    >>> file up on a pristine vendor installed copy of Vista you will
    >>> be directed to a crude download of ffmpeg.

    >> Haven't tried, but I'll take your word for it.
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu is a LOT easier to deal with in this respect than any
    >>> version of Windows. A vendor installed copy might have all the
    >>> bells and whistles already put in place and paid for. That's a
    >>> benefit of buying an HP or Dell and really doesn't have much
    >>> to do with the fact that it's Windows.

    >> Actually I agree with you here....
    >> CODECS for Windows are easy to find however as long as you don't depend
    >> upon Media Player to find them for you.
    >> I don't think I have ever had that work correctly.

    > Talk about a coincidence. I just downloaded that mp4 thing for lcd
    > screens. Guess what (and first time I have seen this under debian) -
    > totem movie player said it didnt have the codec. It has a search
    > option. I selected search then selected the resultant codec and WOW, it
    > downloaded the necessary files using synaptic.
    >
    > Impressive.

    Yep....

    I am very impressed with Ubuntu and how far it has come in the short time
    it's been around as well as compared to the last time I used it.

    I have always disliked WMP and one of the first things I do on a fresh
    Windows install is load up VLC or Winamp light...

    I have never had WMP find a CODEC for me.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/