No mention of Linux (Cray does small computers, all running withWindows) - Linux

This is a discussion on No mention of Linux (Cray does small computers, all running withWindows) - Linux ; Strange, but you would think this would be a natural market for Linux, since supercomputer users don't need a fancy graphical user interface. But no... RL Wall Street Journal TECHNOLOGY SEPTEMBER 16, 2008 Cray Inc., a name long linked to ...

  1. No mention of Linux (Cray does small computers, all running withWindows)

    Strange, but you would think this would be a natural market for Linux,
    since supercomputer users don't need a fancy graphical user
    interface. But no...

    RL

    Wall Street Journal
    TECHNOLOGY SEPTEMBER 16, 2008

    Cray Inc., a name long linked to some of the world's biggest
    computers, is breaking from tradition and introducing a low-end
    machine that can sit next to a user's desk.

    The new computer, which starts at $25,000, uses chips from Intel Corp.
    and ships with a version of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows software. It is
    designed to handle technical chores that are too big for a personal
    computer but don't require the resources of supercomputers, large
    server systems that Cray and other companies typically sell for
    millions of dollars.

    The new computer is designed to handle chores too big for a personal
    computer.
    "It's the smallest thing we've done," said Ian Miller, a Cray senior
    vice president.

  2. Cray does small computers, also running with Linux

    Robin T Cox wrote:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> The new computer, which starts at $25,000, uses chips from Intel Corp.
    >> and ships with a version of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows software.

    > We already knew that Windows only runs on very expensive hardware, which
    > is too bad in today's troubled economic times.

    It is also available with Red Hat Open Cluster Stack.

    So Raylopez99 is, as usual, completely full of it

    --
    The Day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably
    the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

  3. Re: Cray does small computers, also running with Linux

    On Sep 17, 6:44*am, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > It is also available with Red Hat Open Cluster Stack.

    Open Cluster? That reminds me of a military term used in the US
    military: cluster fcuk, as when too many people get in the way of
    each other.

    Sounds like Linux.

    RL

  4. Re: Cray does small computers, also running with Linux

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Sep 17, 6:44Â*am, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> It is also available with Red Hat Open Cluster Stack.

    > Open Cluster? That reminds me of a military term used in the US
    > military: cluster fcuk, as when too many people get in the way of
    > each other.
    >
    > Sounds like Linux.
    >
    > RL

    So "cluster computing" is yet another thing you know nothing about

    Why am I not surprised?
    --
    Microsoft software doesn't get released - it escapes, leaving
    a trail of destruction behind it.

  5. Peter Köhlmann's surname means ASS-MAN in Greek

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > So "cluster computing" is yet another thing you know nothing about
    >
    > Why am I not surprised?

    Then why don't you post a white paper you wrote about cluster
    computers, cluster fsuk?

    BTW, did you know your surname means "ASS-MAN" in Greek? Peter eater?

    Ass-man. Like Pac-man but he leads with his ass instead of his mouth.

    RL

  6. Re: Peter Köhlmann's surname means ASS-MAN in Greek

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> So "cluster computing" is yet another thing you know nothing about
    >>
    >> Why am I not surprised?

    > Then why don't you post a white paper you wrote about cluster
    > computers, cluster fsuk?
    >
    > BTW, did you know your surname means "ASS-MAN" in Greek? Peter eater?
    >
    > Ass-man. Like Pac-man but he leads with his ass instead of his mouth.
    >
    > RL

    You're talking about Petey Kohlmann? Petey is the old nasty gay rooster
    in the chicken-**** COLA farm.

  7. Re: Peter Köhlmann's surname means ASS-MAN inGreek

    On 2008-09-20, raylopez99 wrote:
    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> So "cluster computing" is yet another thing you know nothing about
    >>
    >> Why am I not surprised?

    > Then why don't you post a white paper you wrote about cluster
    > computers, cluster fsuk?
    >
    > BTW, did you know your surname means "ASS-MAN" in Greek? Peter eater?

    Did you know that your surname means "Dickhead Arsehole Cunt" in
    Australian?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  8. Re: Peter Köhlmann's surname means ASS-MAN inGreek

    On 2008-09-21, Gregory Shearman claimed:
    > On 2008-09-20, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >>> So "cluster computing" is yet another thing you know nothing about
    >>>
    >>> Why am I not surprised?

    >> Then why don't you post a white paper you wrote about cluster
    >> computers, cluster fsuk?
    >>
    >> BTW, did you know your surname means "ASS-MAN" in Greek? Peter eater?

    > Did you know that your surname means "Dickhead Arsehole Cunt" in
    > Australian?

    In American english, too. And Thai, Tagalog, Mandarin, Hangul and
    probably a few others.

    --
    VISTA: Visually Interesting but Still Terrible Appliance

  9. Re: Peter Köhlmann's surname means ASS-MAN in Greek (COLA MEANS ASS IN GREEK)

    On Sep 20, 4:23*pm, Paul Montgumdrop wrote:

    > You're talking about Petey Kohlmann? Petey is the old nasty gay rooster
    > * in the chicken-**** COLA farm.

    Yeah I'm beginning to think anybody who posts here is a freak; nobody,
    like Hadron says, actually advocates Linux. Strange for a group
    called COLA (which, btw, itself means "ASS" in Greek: KOLA = ASS).

    There you have it, the circle is complete: Peter (Eater) ASS-MAN of
    ASS wrote: {0}

    And you freaks expect the whole world to adopt Linux? How gay.

    RL

  10. Re: Peter Köhlmann's surname means ASS-MAN in Greek (COLA MEANS ASS IN GREEK)

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Yeah I'm beginning to think anybody who posts here is a freak;
    > nobody, like Hadron says, actually advocates Linux. Strange
    > for a group called COLA (which, btw, itself means "ASS" in
    > Greek: KOLA = ASS).
    >
    > [....] And you freaks expect the whole world to adopt Linux?
    > How gay.

    Financial group trusts Linux platform to protect customers' assets
    By Tina Gasperson on January 10, 2008 (9:02:00 PM)

    "We took Linux through the trials. We installed, we tested, and
    made sure everything matched up the way we expected it to. We had
    big concerns on the database side -- moving the data is pretty
    easy but the key is the code. Anything that has database-specific
    code in it is a concern when migrating. By staying with Sybase,
    we didn't have to rewrite the code, and that saved us hundreds of
    hours."

    Western & Southern reports an 80% decrease in batch cycle times
    on the new database servers running Linux, as well as a 60%
    reduction in the number of servers needed, which further reduced
    both hardware and software license costs.

    Jackson's biggest challenge with migrating to Linux has been
    version matching. "It becomes kind of sticky with all the
    different pieces. Versions are changing so fast now, you have to
    make sure vendors match the version between the database, the
    applications, and the operating system."

    Jackson's experience with Linux has been so good that the company
    is now looking at other areas in which it could use the open
    source operating system. "I can't say a whole lot about it, but
    we're looking at some open source Web technologies and workflow
    software, and some other things."
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  11. Re: Peter Köhlmann's surname means ASS-MAN in Greek

    Sinister Midget wrote:
    > On 2008-09-21, Gregory Shearman claimed:

    >>> Then why don't you post a white paper you wrote about cluster
    >>> computers, cluster fsuk?
    >>>
    >>> BTW, did you know your surname means "ASS-MAN" in Greek? Peter eater?

    >> Did you know that your surname means "Dickhead Arsehole Cunt" in
    >> Australian?

    > In American english, too. And Thai, Tagalog, Mandarin, Hangul and
    > probably a few others.

    And in betelguisian it means "Belgium".
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  12. Re: Peter Köhlmann's surname means ASS-MAN inGreek (COLA MEANS ASS IN GREEK)

    On 2008-09-21, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Sep 20, 4:23*pm, Paul Montgumdrop wrote:
    >
    >> You're talking about Petey Kohlmann? Petey is the old nasty gay rooster
    >> * in the chicken-**** COLA farm.

    > Yeah I'm beginning to think anybody who posts here is a freak; nobody,
    > like Hadron says, actually advocates Linux. Strange for a group
    > called COLA (which, btw, itself means "ASS" in Greek: KOLA = ASS).
    >
    > There you have it, the circle is complete: Peter (Eater) ASS-MAN of
    > ASS wrote: {0}
    >
    > And you freaks expect the whole world to adopt Linux? How gay.

    Hey Lopez! Get your doctor to lower your medication a little...

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  13. Re: No mention of Linux (Cray does small computers, all running with Windows)

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > Hmm, one wonders if a new metric might be appropriate for high-end
    > Windows machines. Perhaps BSODS/hr, say? I've no doubt that a
    > high-end Cray machine could manage far more BSODS/hr than a little
    > toshiba portable might.

    Why don't you take this pledge, Kent?

    "As a lying Linux "advocate" trying to reform my dishonest ways, I hereby
    pledge not to post anything to comp.os.linux.advocacy until my Windows XP
    system crashes to a "blue screen of death".

    Signed,
    Mark Kent"

    Well?

  14. Re: No mention of Linux (Cray does small computers, all running with Windows)

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:07:34 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm, one wonders if a new metric might be appropriate for high-end
    >> Windows machines. Perhaps BSODS/hr, say? I've no doubt that a
    >> high-end Cray machine could manage far more BSODS/hr than a little
    >> toshiba portable might.

    > Why don't you take this pledge, Kent?
    >
    > "As a lying Linux "advocate" trying to reform my dishonest ways, I hereby
    > pledge not to post anything to comp.os.linux.advocacy until my Windows XP
    > system crashes to a "blue screen of death".
    >
    > Signed,
    > Mark Kent"
    >

    > Well?

    What good will that do?
    He'll claim his Windows machine BSOD'd within 5 minutes of turning it on.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  15. Re: No mention of Linux (Cray does small computers, all running with Windows)

    They may be purchased with Linux. It is one of the configuration
    options. They may be configured with no OS, or with Red Hat, or with
    Windows HPC Server 2008.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  16. Re: No mention of Linux (Cray does small computers, all running with Windows)

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:07:34 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hmm, one wonders if a new metric might be appropriate for high-end
    >>> Windows machines. Perhaps BSODS/hr, say? I've no doubt that a
    >>> high-end Cray machine could manage far more BSODS/hr than a little
    >>> toshiba portable might.

    >> Why don't you take this pledge, Kent?
    >>
    >> "As a lying Linux "advocate" trying to reform my dishonest ways, I
    >> hereby pledge not to post anything to comp.os.linux.advocacy until
    >> my Windows XP system crashes to a "blue screen of death".
    >>
    >> Signed,
    >> Mark Kent"
    >>

    >> Well?

    > What good will that do?
    > He'll claim his Windows machine BSOD'd within 5 minutes of turning it
    > on.

    Then we'll ask for video proof, and when he slimes and slinks away from the
    lie, his destruction will be final.

  17. Re: No mention of Linux (Cray does small computers, all running with Windows)

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:40:03 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> What good will that do?
    >>> He'll claim his Windows machine BSOD'd within 5 minutes of turning
    >>> it on.

    >> Then we'll ask for video proof, and when he slimes and slinks away
    >> from the lie, his destruction will be final.

    > That's exactly what he will do.
    > FWIW we are still waiting for AZNomad to post the proof of his
    > millions of Vista tmp files.
    >
    > He ran like a stuck pig from that thread.

    Yet he shamelessly continues to stink up cola la-la land and ignores
    requests for proof. That's called being a piece-of-chicken**** liar.

    Versus Tattoo Vampire, who's just a chicken**** who won't allow his
    "switched to Linux" offices to be surveyed for fear we'll learn the truth
    about what went on when he supposedly put the crapware in place.

  18. Re: No mention of Linux (Cray does small computers, all running with Windows)

    "DFS" writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Why don't you take this pledge, Kent?
    >>>
    >>> "As a lying Linux "advocate" trying to reform my dishonest ways, I
    >>> hereby pledge not to post anything to comp.os.linux.advocacy until
    >>> my Windows XP system crashes to a "blue screen of death".
    >>>
    >>> Signed,
    >>> Mark Kent"
    >>>

    >>> Well?

    >> What good will that do?
    >> He'll claim his Windows machine BSOD'd within 5 minutes of turning it
    >> on.

    > Then we'll ask for video proof, and when he slimes and slinks away from the
    > lie, his destruction will be final.

    Ask him how much of BTs SW installs on Linux clients back in
    blighty. Hint. I know the answer.

    --
    "Yes, I am a nymshifting troll. I used to be called Rafael, but since the operation I prefer to be called Robin T Cox."
    High Plains Shifter, COLA.

  19. Re: No mention of Linux (Cray does small computers, all running with Windows)

    "DFS" writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Then we'll ask for video proof, and when he slimes and slinks away
    >>> from the lie, his destruction will be final.

    >> That's exactly what he will do.
    >> FWIW we are still waiting for AZNomad to post the proof of his
    >> millions of Vista tmp files.
    >>
    >> He ran like a stuck pig from that thread.

    > Yet he shamelessly continues to stink up cola la-la land and ignores
    > requests for proof. That's called being a piece-of-chicken**** liar.
    >
    > Versus Tattoo Vampire, who's just a chicken**** who won't allow his
    > "switched to Linux" offices to be surveyed for fear we'll learn the truth
    > about what went on when he supposedly put the crapware in place.

    You mean Tattoo "adolf" Vampire. The man who basically said "My users
    use what I tell them to". So much for "Free" eh?

    Still its tough in the timeshare business.

  20. Re: No mention of Linux (Cray does small computers, all running with Windows)

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:28:24 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> What good will that do?
    >>> He'll claim his Windows machine BSOD'd within 5 minutes of turning it
    >>> on.

    >> Then we'll ask for video proof, and when he slimes and slinks away from the
    >> lie, his destruction will be final.

    > Ask him how much of BTs SW installs on Linux clients back in
    > blighty. Hint. I know the answer.

    Mark Kent is the biggest phony in COLA.

    After he was exposed doing the exact opposite of what he spews here, I
    can't believe he has the gall to even post here.

    It just goes to show the arrogance of some of these COLA Linux advocates.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/