[News] The Anti-virus is Dead, The Windows Zombie PCs Are Not - Linux

  1. [News] The Anti-virus is Dead, The Windows Zombie PCs Are Not

    The School of Hacking

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If college students can beat the best antivirus programs, why do people spend
    | nearly $5 billion a year on them?
    `----

    http://www.newsweek.com/id/158730

    Snake oil.

    Recent:

    Anti-virus program carves up Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Following an update on 4 September of the pattern files for Trend Micro's PC
    | Cillin 14, Internet Security 2007 and Internet Security 2008 anti-virus
    | programs, their friend-or-foe identification – particularly under Windows XP
    | with Service Pack 2 – appears to have failed. These programs incorrectly
    | identified important Windows system files such as netui0.dll, pstorec.dll
    | and – seemingly in more infrequent cases – winsocks32.dll as trojans, and
    | either deleted or quarantined them.
    `----

    http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/115611

    Virus protection is a matter of faith

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | SHINTO FAITHFUL are dragging their computers and gadgets into the local
    | shrine in a bid to protect them from viruses and Trojan horses.
    |
    | At Tokyo's Kanda-Myojin Shinto shrine, priests are using centuries-old
    | ceremonies to ask the gods for help and protection for computers.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rus-protection

    Schneier: Lots of Security Software Is 'snake Oil'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | IDG News Service: So what do you think is the biggest threat right now?
    |
    | Schneier: Crime.
    |
    | IDG News Service: So how do you fix it? It's expensive to investigate, it's
    | cross-jurisdictional.
    |
    | Schneier: It might not be fixable. A lot of [the solution] is going to be
    | making the things that criminals are going after harder to get. You're not
    | going to stop the criminals. *
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...snake_oil.html

    Malware still malingering for up-to-date anti-virus users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Having anti-virus software and keeping it up to date is no longer enough to
    | keep from geting infected by malware.
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...fected_or_not/

    The rise of the Malware Mafia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Organized group's embrace of cyber crime has been made possible by the
    | availability of highly specialized malware, which has lowered the barriers to
    | entry. As a result, Alperovitch said, "The profile of arrested criminals is
    | changing from tech savvy teens to traditional criminals with mile-long rap
    | sheets for drugs and propagating fake checks." * *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04..._embraces_net/

    The Dirty Secret Behind 1,000,000 Viruses

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But there's something missing in this paragraph – and, indeed, in the whole
    | story: it's the word “Windows”. This is the dirty secret behind viruses: they
    | are overwhelmingly found on Windows systems. The huge, global cost of viruses
    | is just one of the hidden extra fees that we all, collectively, must pay when
    | others use Microsoft Windows. Pity Microsoft doesn't use some of its
    | extensive cash holdings to compensate victims of its poor coding. * *
    |
    | Now, of course, if all the world used GNU/Linux, that wouldn't mean that
    | viruses would cease to exist: the focus of malware would shift, and viruses
    | would become more common for that system too. But you can bet they'd be far
    | harder to write, and that there would be far less than a million. * *
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...14&entryid=685

    Bots rule in cyberspace

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
    | computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
    | and to mine for sensitive personal data. *
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ule-cyberspace
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/co...-botnets_N.htm

    China Faced With Severe Botnet Problem

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | China faces a serious threat from botnets, networks of computers infected
    | with software that allows them to be controlled remotely for
    | denial-of-service attacks and to send spam, according to a report issued by
    | China's National Computer Network Emergency Response Technical Team (CNCERT).
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...t_problem.html

    Microsoft Data Show Web Attacks Taking off

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The company saw the number of Trojan downloader programs it removed from
    | Windows machines jump by 300 percent, according to Jimmy Kuo, principal
    | architect with Microsoft's Malware Protection Center.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...aking_off.html

    Related:

    Online banking fraud 'up 8,000%'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The UK has seen an 8,000% increase in fake internet banking scams
    | in the past two years, the government's financial watchdog has warned.
    |
    | The Financial Services Authority (FSA) told peers it was "very concerned"
    | about the growth in "phishing".
    `----

    Trend, Sophos and McAfee flunk Vista SP1 anti-virus tests

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Top tier anti-virus vendors including McAfee, Trend Micro, and Sophos all
    | failed to secure Windows Vista SP1 in recent independent tests.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04..._sp1_av_tests/

    Does antivirus have a future?

    | Peter Gutmann, a researcher at the University of Auckland who presented the
    | results of a study of the commercial market for malware at August's Defcon,
    | estimates that a good virus programmer can make as much as $200,000 a year
    | (here, a 660KB PDF). Alan Cox, an open-source security researcher, points out
    | some additional possibilities. One is malware designed to sit under today's
    | virtual machines. A proof-of-concept paper proposing such an attack, called
    | Subvirt (PDF), appeared last year, written by three researchers from
    | Microsoft and two from the University of Michigan. A presentation at last
    | year's Black Hat security conference from Joanna Rutkowska, a researcher at
    | Coseinc, a Singapore-based security company, covered a much leaner attack she
    | called Blue Pill, which targets the virtualisation built into Windows Vista
    | and into current processors from both AMD and Intel. * * * * *
    `----

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...gysection.spam

    Is an antivirus gap looming?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The failure of antivirus companies to adapt to the dramatic malware
    | appearance rates in 2007 tells us there's time for a change and there's room *
    | for a new class of tools. "AV is dead" is the battle cry of a new industry
    | analyst report. Antivirus companies may not be going the way of the dodo, but
    | to many customers, the concept of antivirus as the last line of defense has
    | been thrown out the window. It's time for a better approach, one that can
    | keep up and really defend networks. * *
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2010-7348_3-6195...0-20&subj=news

    Predicting the demise of antivirus apps

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "It's the beginning of the end for antivirus," says Robin Bloor, partner
    | at consulting firm Hurwitz & Associates, who adds he began his
    | "antivirus is dead" campaign a year ago and feels even more strongly
    | about it today. "I'm going to keep beating this drum. The approach
    | antivirus vendors take is completely wrong. The criminals working to
    | release these viruses against computer users are testing against
    | antivirus software. They know what works and how to create variants."
    `----

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2572C3000FD867

  2. Re: The Anti-virus is Dead, The Windows Zombie PCs Are Not

    On Sep 15, 2:26 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > The School of Hacking
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | If college students can beat the best antivirus programs, why do people spend
    > | nearly $5 billion a year on them?
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.newsweek.com/id/158730

    So people (ie Windows users) spend $5 Billion per year on antivirus
    software? That should be taken from the top of Microsoft's profits.
    Meanwhile, Apple and Linux users spend $0 /year on antivirus software.

    Article says,
    "A few years ago, security experts tracked about 5,000 new viruses
    every year. By the end of this year, they expect to see triple that
    number every week, with most designed for identity theft or spam.."

    That rate (15,000 new viruses every week) means 750,000 per year. A
    while back I heard that there were over 100,000 different types of
    malware targeting Windows machines. Sounds like that number must now
    be closer to a million. Must mean every programmer in Russia is
    writing Windows viruses.

+ Reply to Thread