[News] VirtualBox 2.0.2 Released, More Linux-based Virtualisation Enhancement - Linux

  1. [News] VirtualBox 2.0.2 Released, More Linux-based Virtualisation Enhancement

    VirtualBox 2.0.2

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Powerful x86 virtualization products for enterprise as well as home use. Not
    | only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for
    | enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is
    | freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General
    | Public License (GPL). See "About VirtualBox" for an introduction;
    | see "innotek" for more about our company.
    `----

    http://business.pcauthority.com.au/d...albox-202.aspx

    Chip PC Launches a Powerful, New Lineup of Linux-based Products Offering
    Flexibility, Enhanced Desktop Virtualization Experience; Superior Multimedia
    and Policy-based Manageability

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ...a new series of Linux-based devices, Xtreme PC LX, offering a powerful,
    | super compact thin-client with advanced multimedia capabilities, policy-based
    | management and very low power consumption of just 3W.
    `----

    http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...l,539275.shtml

    Recent:

    VirtualBox 2.0

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | SUN released a new major release of their virtual machine software
    | VirtualBox. Highlights in this release are 64bit guest support, a new GUI and
    | also an enterprise subscription model.
    `----

    http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/0...irtualbox-20/s

    Sun Microsystems Unveils xVM VirtualBox 2.0 and New Enterprise Support
    Subscription

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun Microsystems, Inc. today announced a new version of Sun(TM) xVM
    | VirtualBox(TM), its high performance, free and open source desktop
    | virtualization software, as well as Sun xVM VirtualBox Software Enterprise
    | Subscription
    `----

    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...9%7D&dist=hppr

    Sun xVM VirtualBox Breaks Five Million Download Mark; First Free, Open Source
    Hypervisor to Offer Support for All Major Operating Systems

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun Microsystems Erica Pereira, 650-264-2329 erica.pereira@sun.com Sun
    | Microsystems, Inc. (Nasdaq:JAVA) today announced that Sun(TM) xVM
    | VirtualBox(TM), a high performance, free and open source desktop
    | virtualization software, has surpassed five million downloads in just 18
    | months. With xVM VirtualBox software, end users can access their favorite
    | software using any operating system and developers can...
    `----

    http://www.pr-inside.com/sun-xvm-vir...on-r614011.htm

    Related:

    VirtualBox: A Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Overall, VirtualBox is an excellent application for virtualizing your
    | favorite operating systems. I use it to virtually run all of the operating
    | systems that we talk about here on LinuxHow2, such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo,
    | and *PCLinuxOS. Virtual machines are a great way to test new operating
    | systems, sandbox an OS, and quickly wipe out and reinstall problem operating
    | systems; it's becoming common to virtual an operating system, because of the
    | speed of use, and because said operating system does not directly interfere
    | with the host OS, if it's infected with viruses (as is often the case with
    | Windows) or you just plain don't need it anymore, it's as simple as one click
    | to delete it off your system for good.
    `----

    http://linuxhow2.com/Feature_Article..._A_Review.html

    Review: OliveBSD turns OpenBSD into very usable live CD

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Back to the apps. Besides Firefox for Web browsing, there's Thunderbird for
    | mail, the GIMP for image processing, SciTE for text editing, Xmms for audio
    | playback, Gaim for text messaging, ghostview and Xpdf, Axyftp, the Abs
    | spreadsheet, the TightVNC viewer, CD-Rchive and a few more. There's enough
    | for me to get my work done, and that's pretty much all I ask.
    `----

    http://www.insidesocal.com/click/200...s_openbsd.html

    VirtualBox: The best virtualization program you've never heard of

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | InnoTek, a software company in Stuttgart, Germany, has released both a
    | proprietary and a GPLv2 open-source version of the program. The VirtualBox
    | OSE (open-source edition) has a subset of the features of the proprietary
    | version.
    `----

    VirtualBox 1.5 puts Windows windows on a Linux desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | or the first time, the new version now displays the guest's windows
    | seamlessly on the host system's desktop instead of showing the guest system's
    | complete desktop in its own window.
    `----

    VirtualBox 1.5 released with seamless Windows integration

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The second screenshot shows that even Windows’ task bar is embedded into the
    | Linux system.
    `----

    http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/0...s-integration/

    VirtualBox Making Waves as Open Source Virtualization Platform

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The youngest virtualization player to enter the x86 virtualization market
    | is Innotek. And the company has recently announced a new release of its
    | product, VirtualBox version 1.4.0, for Windows and Linux.
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtuali...13338246635702

    Fedora 7 screenshot gallery

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 33 screenshots from the installation to the desktop all made with the
    | help of Virtualbox.
    `----

    http://www.winxperts.net/forums/inde...topic=1166&hl=

    VirtualBox 1.4.0 adds cool new features

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As promised at CeBIT 2007, InnoTek has released version 1.4.0
    | of its VirtualBox virtualization software. Despite the modest
    | increase in the version number, the new release boasts a few
    | new features as well as a host of tweaks and behind-the-scenes
    | improvements.
    `----

    http://applications.linux.com/articl...40255&from=rss

  2. Re: [News] VirtualBox 2.0.2 Released, More Linux-based Virtualisation Enhancement

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > VirtualBox 2.0.2
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Powerful x86 virtualization products for enterprise as well as home use.
    > | Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance
    > | product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional
    > | solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the
    > | terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). See "About VirtualBox"
    > | for an introduction; see "innotek" for more about our company.
    > `----
    >
    > http://business.pcauthority.com.au/d...albox-202.aspx

    You have to dig a little into the VirtualBox website to find the
    name "innotek" now. VirtualBox is now a Sun product.

    www.virtualbox.org

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: [News] VirtualBox 2.0.2 Released, More Linux-based Virtualisation Enhancement

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > VirtualBox 2.0.2
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Powerful x86 virtualization products for enterprise as well as home use.
    > | Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance
    > | product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional
    > | solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the
    > | terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). See "About VirtualBox"
    > | for an introduction; see "innotek" for more about our company.
    > `----
    >
    > http://business.pcauthority.com.au/d...albox-202.aspx

    A guy today had a red hot poker shoved up his whojammawhatsit today
    when he came to compare his CAD files on my machine.

    I opened some files and zoomed in/out on VirtualBox running on Ubuntu.

    He tried his best on his identical but a real WINDUMMY PC
    to repeat the effect....

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

    As claimed earlier, if you have Linux and dual core CPUs, then VirtualBox
    will run the windummy OSen twice as fast as a real machine.

    What I didn't know until now is that even if both machines are dual core,
    the speed difference is astronomical!!!!!!
    Its not just a perceived difference - it is GENUINELY ASTRONOMICAL!!!

    So I have to say it all more correctly now like this...

    If you have Linux and dual core CPUs, then VirtualBox
    will run the windummy OSen twice as fast if not many times faster than an
    equivalent identical windummy PC.

    There is NO COMMERCIAL JUSTIFICATION for procuring a fast PC for someone
    claiming to be a power user.

    The only commerical justification is to retrain the WINDUMMY calling himself
    a power user to use Linux and run everything under Linux and/or VirtualBox.

+ Reply to Thread