[News] Google's GNU/Linux Phones May Be One Week Away - Linux

  1. [News] Google's GNU/Linux Phones May Be One Week Away

    Google mobile chief says can't afford a dud

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | T-Mobile USA is expected to introduce the first Android phone in New York on
    | Sept. 23, sources familiar with the plan told Reuters this week.
    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/reuters/feeds/...INTERVIEW.html
    http://tinyurl.com/6op5ba

    ....And Microsoft Munchkins attacked me for 'lying' about the date.

    Recent:

    T-Mobile to Offer First Phone With Google Software

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/te...ss&oref=slogin

    NYT: Google's Android coming soon on HTC handset

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The New York Times echoed a report earlier in the week from TmoNews in
    | suggesting that the first phone to run the Android software will be announced
    | by handset maker HTC on T-Mobile's network next month and could begin
    | shipping in October. It's long been expected that T-Mobile and HTC would be
    | among the first Android partners to actually ship a product, but the timing
    | had been unclear.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-100...=2547-1_3-0-20
    http://tinyurl.com/5w8bjb

    Google Android just four weeks away?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Back in June, some unnamed sources told The Wall Street Journal that Google's
    | currently closed open mobile platform could be delayed until 2009. But this
    | week, another unnamed source told TmoNews - a T-Mobile obsessed blog - that
    | the American wireless carrier will offer up the first Android phone for
    | pre-sale on 17 September.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08..._launch_rumor/

    Related:

    Google Exec: Android To Beat iPhone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Rich Miner even went after Apple's handheld darling. *"Once you have devices
    | out there from Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and so on, there's a much larger
    | potential market on Android than for the iPhone," he said. *"[T]here's a
    | single manufacturer, it's targeted at a particular demographic, and it falls
    | far short of the 1 billion mobile phones sold every year worldwide." * *
    `----

    http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...to-beat-iphone

    iPhone vs. Android : An Open Source Devs Perspective

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to Andrea Gazzaniga, software development manager at mobile open
    | source vendor Funambol the answer is not entirely clear. In a rambling
    | overflow presentation at AjaxWorld's iPhone Sumitt, Gazzaniga attempted to
    | outline the differences and similiaraties between iPhone and Android. *
    `----

    http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...open-sour.html

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Is Google Android the Next Windows?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On the flip side, Good Android (here’s a video demo) is a cross-platform
    | software environment that multiple hardware vendors and service providers are
    | expected to embrace. Although Android isn’t fully baked, Google is
    | aggressively promoting the operating environment to third party developers.
    | The idea is to get developers on board early, so that tons of Android
    | applications are ready when Android-compatible devices finally debut. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Eventually, The VAR Guy suspects, Android devices will easily leapfrog
    | iPhone’s market share. But that’s not a terrible thing for Apple. Although
    | Apple nearly died on the desktop, Apple’s more recent innovations prove that
    | you can thrive even when you hold less than 10 percent of a technology
    | market. * *
    `----

    http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/03/20/...-next-windows/

    HTC tight-lipped about Google phone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MOBILE PHONE MAKER High Tech Computer (HTC) is developing a handset which
    | will run Android software developed by Google and a consortium of other tech
    | companies. *
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ranoid-andriod

    A third of all phones "smart" in five years

    | ABI Research vice president Stuart Carlaw said, "The market is currently
    | dominated by Nokia (52 percent) and Symbian (65 percent). However, the
    | coalescence of the framework wars in the Linux environment and the growing
    | stature of Windows Mobile will enable new competitors to put pressure on this
    | established axis." * *
    `----

    Research and Markets: Symbian and Linux Enjoy the Highest Penetration in the
    Japanese Smartphone Market

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Symbian and Linux enjoy the highest penetration in the Japanese smartphone
    | market and appear to be the beneficiaries in any expansion of smartphone use
    | there. *
    `----

    http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...31&newsLang=en
    http://tinyurl.com/34ns9q

  2. Re: [News] Google's GNU/Linux Phones May Be One Week Away

    > Google mobile chief says can't afford a dud
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6op5ba
    >
    > ...And Microsoft Munchkins attacked me for 'lying' about the date.

    The worst ones are the Assmunchkins.

    > T-Mobile to Offer First Phone With Google Software
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/te...ss&oref=slogin
    >
    > NYT: Google's Android coming soon on HTC handset
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/5w8bjb
    >
    > Google Android just four weeks away?
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08..._launch_rumor/
    >
    > Google Exec: Android To Beat iPhone
    > http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...to-beat-iphone

    We'll see about that one.

    > iPhone vs. Android : An Open Source Devs Perspective
    > http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...open-sour.html
    >
    > Feeling the heat at Microsoft
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| A couple of years ago you reiterated that IBM was Microsoft's biggest
    >| competitor and you said not just on the business side, but overall. If I ask
    >| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *
    >|
    >| Ballmer: Open...Linux. I don't want to say open source. Linux, certainly have
    >| to go with that.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat...tag=ne.fd.mnbc

    I think you can give that one a rest, Roy!

    --
    Fly me away to the bright side of the moon ...

  3. Re: [News] Google's GNU/Linux Phones May Be One Week Away

    ____/ Linonut on Monday 15 September 2008 21:54 : \____

    >> Google mobile chief says can't afford a dud
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6op5ba
    >>
    >> ...And Microsoft Munchkins attacked me for 'lying' about the date.

    > The worst ones are the Assmunchkins.
    >
    >> T-Mobile to Offer First Phone With Google Software

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/te...ss&oref=slogin

    >> NYT: Google's Android coming soon on HTC handset
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/5w8bjb
    >>
    >> Google Android just four weeks away?
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08..._launch_rumor/
    >>
    >> Google Exec: Android To Beat iPhone

    http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...to-beat-iphone

    > We'll see about that one.
    >
    >> iPhone vs. Android : An Open Source Devs Perspective

    http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...open-sour.html

    >> Feeling the heat at Microsoft
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| A couple of years ago you reiterated that IBM was Microsoft's biggest
    >>| competitor and you said not just on the business side, but overall. If I
    >>| ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?
    >>|
    >>| Ballmer: Open...Linux. I don't want to say open source. Linux, certainly
    >>| have to go with that.
    >> `----

    > I think you can give that one a rest, Roy!

    Yeah, I guess it has been absorbed by now. Sort of like a Big Truth.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #00ff00 Day - Basket Case

+ Reply to Thread