Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps - Linux

This is a discussion on Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps - Linux ; After the move to Linux I gave training in OpenOffice... much to my surprise a few of the more curious users discovered Google's goodies and started using Google Docs. Seeing the interest, I gave some crash courses in the application ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    After the move to Linux I gave training in OpenOffice... much to my surprise
    a few of the more curious users discovered Google's goodies and started
    using Google Docs. Seeing the interest, I gave some crash courses in the
    application and its collaboration features. Just about everyone is moving
    their documents to Google Docs now. It's more than enough word processing
    power for our needs, and the sharing features eliminate redundant copies and
    obsolete revisions floating between the three offices.

    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ..../////////// POLICE TAGLINE - DO NOT CROSS \\\\\\\\\\\\\

    Good to the last supper

  2. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    "Tattoo Vampire" stated in post
    2tggeguh8rji$.dlg@this.domain.or.that on 9/14/08 6:50 PM:

    > After the move to Linux I gave training in OpenOffice... much to my surprise
    > a few of the more curious users discovered Google's goodies and started
    > using Google Docs. Seeing the interest, I gave some crash courses in the
    > application and its collaboration features. Just about everyone is moving
    > their documents to Google Docs now. It's more than enough word processing
    > power for our needs, and the sharing features eliminate redundant copies and
    > obsolete revisions floating between the three offices.

    Any contingency plans for when the 'net is down?

    --
    You really have to give credit to Apple for driving innovation.

  3. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:59:39 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Tattoo Vampire" stated in post
    > 2tggeguh8rji$.dlg@this.domain.or.that on 9/14/08 6:50 PM:
    >
    >> After the move to Linux I gave training in OpenOffice... much to my surprise
    >> a few of the more curious users discovered Google's goodies and started
    >> using Google Docs. Seeing the interest, I gave some crash courses in the
    >> application and its collaboration features. Just about everyone is moving
    >> their documents to Google Docs now. It's more than enough word processing
    >> power for our needs, and the sharing features eliminate redundant copies and
    >> obsolete revisions floating between the three offices.

    > Any contingency plans for when the 'net is down?

    Not to mention proprietary data.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    Snit wrote:

    > Any contingency plans for when the 'net is down?

    Proprietary and confidential stuff remains on the local server at the
    office.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Repartee: An insult wearing a suit and tie.

    Good to the last supper

  5. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 22:41:29 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Snit wrote:
    >
    >> Any contingency plans for when the 'net is down?

    > Proprietary and confidential stuff remains on the local server at the
    > office.

    I suppose that would work assuming you have local copies of the program
    neede to open the data files.

    Seriously though, windows vs Linux aside, I have some very strong
    reservations about the cloud model.
    IOW I want total control of my data and I don't want others privy to it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  6. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    "Moshe Goldfarb." stated in post
    1eiwodrkfedlj.1qf3fccpwna4a.dlg@40tude.net on 9/14/08 7:54 PM:

    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 22:41:29 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any contingency plans for when the 'net is down?

    >> Proprietary and confidential stuff remains on the local server at the
    >> office.

    > I suppose that would work assuming you have local copies of the program
    > neede to open the data files.
    >
    > Seriously though, windows vs Linux aside, I have some very strong
    > reservations about the cloud model.
    > IOW I want total control of my data and I don't want others privy to it.

    Agreed - it is too easy for people to stop thinking of Google Docs as being
    a part of the cloud... and with Chrome it need not be soon, I suspect. It
    will be harder and harder for "normal" folks to know what is local and what
    is in the "cloud". Already I see confusion.

    --
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan Simpson

  7. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:59:39 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Tattoo Vampire" stated in post
    >> 2tggeguh8rji$.dlg@this.domain.or.that on 9/14/08 6:50 PM:
    >>
    >>> After the move to Linux I gave training in OpenOffice... much to my surprise
    >>> a few of the more curious users discovered Google's goodies and started
    >>> using Google Docs. Seeing the interest, I gave some crash courses in the
    >>> application and its collaboration features. Just about everyone is moving
    >>> their documents to Google Docs now. It's more than enough word processing
    >>> power for our needs, and the sharing features eliminate redundant copies and
    >>> obsolete revisions floating between the three offices.

    >> Any contingency plans for when the 'net is down?

    > Not to mention proprietary data.....

    Chuckle. All the worlds top businesses say no to something as
    potentially lethal as Google Office. TV and his winged monkeys say "yes"
    after his "crash" course. I wonder which distro kept crashing?

    --
    "You're a condescending, arrogant asshole, Quack."
    -- Tattoo Vampire in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, comp.os.linux.advocacy

  8. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    On 2008-09-15, Tattoo Vampire claimed:
    > After the move to Linux I gave training in OpenOffice... much to my surprise
    > a few of the more curious users discovered Google's goodies and started
    > using Google Docs. Seeing the interest, I gave some crash courses in the
    > application and its collaboration features. Just about everyone is moving
    > their documents to Google Docs now. It's more than enough word processing
    > power for our needs, and the sharing features eliminate redundant copies and
    > obsolete revisions floating between the three offices.

    Be careful. I installed Google Earth on a machine at work a year or two
    ago to look at something, then forgot about it. A couple of months ago
    they got a bill for it. I forget what they said it was, but it was over
    $1,000. They paid it.

    That happened because the license on Google Earth stipulates that it's
    free for individual use. Although I'm an individual, and although it
    hasn't been used more than 3 or 4 times, and although I downloaded it
    for my own personal use, it was on a business network. So they were
    stuck.

    I had a document on my own personal email account that I was sharing
    with 2 other people at work so they could update it themselves. After
    that happened I got rid of it rather than take the chance. I'm not even
    going to bother reading the license after that because they won't use
    it anyway. I'll just make sure not to use it for such things any more
    in the future.

    I'd read the license on Google Docs closely before everybody gets too
    tied to it and you get a bill for over a grand for each user. Per year
    most likely.

    --
    Using Windows is the equivalent of putting on spike heels, fishnets,
    and a bustier, walking down to the corner of Virus St and Trojan Ave,

  9. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    Sinister Midget writes:

    > On 2008-09-15, Tattoo Vampire claimed:
    >> After the move to Linux I gave training in OpenOffice... much to my surprise
    >> a few of the more curious users discovered Google's goodies and started
    >> using Google Docs. Seeing the interest, I gave some crash courses in the
    >> application and its collaboration features. Just about everyone is moving
    >> their documents to Google Docs now. It's more than enough word processing
    >> power for our needs, and the sharing features eliminate redundant copies and
    >> obsolete revisions floating between the three offices.

    > Be careful. I installed Google Earth on a machine at work a year or two
    > ago to look at something, then forgot about it. A couple of months ago
    > they got a bill for it. I forget what they said it was, but it was over
    > $1,000. They paid it.
    >
    > That happened because the license on Google Earth stipulates that it's
    > free for individual use. Although I'm an individual, and although it
    > hasn't been used more than 3 or 4 times, and although I downloaded it
    > for my own personal use, it was on a business network. So they were
    > stuck.
    >
    > I had a document on my own personal email account that I was sharing
    > with 2 other people at work so they could update it themselves. After
    > that happened I got rid of it rather than take the chance. I'm not even
    > going to bother reading the license after that because they won't use
    > it anyway. I'll just make sure not to use it for such things any more
    > in the future.
    >
    > I'd read the license on Google Docs closely before everybody gets too
    > tied to it and you get a bill for over a grand for each user. Per year
    > most likely.

    Surely you people did not think it would always be "for free" and your
    data would be safe? Are they selling clothes to stupid Emperors too?

    --
    "Are Linux systems perfect. Uh, no."
    -- Rick in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  10. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    Hadron wrote:

    > Chuckle. All the worlds top businesses say no to something as
    > potentially lethal as Google Office. TV and his winged monkeys say "yes"
    > after his "crash" course. I wonder which distro kept crashing?

    PCLinuxOS hasn't crashed on us yet, you trolling assclown.

    Leave it to you to hijack another thread.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Keyboard not found. Visualize "F1" to continue.

    Good to the last supper

  11. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    Hadron wrote:

    > Surely you people did not think it would always be "for free" and your
    > data would be safe? Are they selling clothes to stupid Emperors too?

    Do you always have to be such an insufferable prick? You bitch about the
    lack of quality content in COLA... well, when anyone attempts to have a
    civil conversation, your sorry ass jumps in and disrupts everything.

    **** you.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Procrastination Day Has Been Postponed!

    Good to the last supper

  12. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > I'd read the license on Google Docs closely before everybody gets too
    > tied to it and you get a bill for over a grand for each user. Per year
    > most likely.

    I intend to do so.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Procrastination Day Has Been Postponed!

    Good to the last supper

  13. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Surely you people did not think it would always be "for free" and your
    >> data would be safe? Are they selling clothes to stupid Emperors too?

    > Do you always have to be such an insufferable prick? You bitch about the
    > lack of quality content in COLA... well, when anyone attempts to have a
    > civil conversation, your sorry ass jumps in and disrupts everything.
    >
    > **** you.

    Disrupts? What the hell?

    I am warning you that you would have to be pretty dim and out of touch
    with reality to commit your companies data to a 3rd party who offer no
    guarantee on confidentiality or on long term prices and costing.

    I guess you fit the bill. Nice one.

    --
    - "Thats what I have been saying for 5 years. Consumers are tired, they
    want something new and more exciting."

  14. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> I'd read the license on Google Docs closely before everybody gets too
    >> tied to it and you get a bill for over a grand for each user. Per year
    >> most likely.

    > I intend to do so.

    Better to have done it before sticking your company data there eh
    Einstein?

    --
    - "Thats what I have been saying for 5 years. Consumers are tired, they
    want something new and more exciting."

  15. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 07:25:36 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Surely you people did not think it would always be "for free" and your
    >> data would be safe? Are they selling clothes to stupid Emperors too?

    > Do you always have to be such an insufferable prick? You bitch about the
    > lack of quality content in COLA... well, when anyone attempts to have a
    > civil conversation, your sorry ass jumps in and disrupts everything.
    >
    > **** you.

    One reason why Quack got binned in aolu was because the troll just
    disrupted threads with drivel. "Grandstanding, whinnying, & raising
    threads beyond the utter extremes of lunacy" is how his posts were
    described.

    --
    Did you know?
    Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.

  16. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    * Tattoo Vampire peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> I'd read the license on Google Docs closely before everybody gets too
    >> tied to it and you get a bill for over a grand for each user. Per year
    >> most likely.

    > I intend to do so.

    This might be an interesting idea to pursue:

    http://www.jjerome.com/projects/2007...cs-server.html

    Local Google Docs Server

    No time right now.

    --
    1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight -- it's not just a good idea, it's
    the law!

  17. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:33:52 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Tattoo Vampire writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Chuckle. All the worlds top businesses say no to something as
    >>> potentially lethal as Google Office. TV and his winged monkeys say
    >>> "yes" after his "crash" course. I wonder which distro kept crashing?

    >> PCLinuxOS hasn't crashed on us yet, you trolling assclown.

    > I never said it did. Can you read? Can you spot a joke?

    Ooh, look everyone, Hardon is attempting to develop a sense of humour.

    --
    If it looks like a Duck, walks like a Duck and quacks like a Duck, it's a
    Duck.

    Otherwise its a Hardon Quack!

  18. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:49:40 -0500, SomeBloke wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:33:52 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Tattoo Vampire writes:

    >>> PCLinuxOS hasn't crashed on us yet, you trolling assclown.

    >> I never said it did. Can you read? Can you spot a joke?

    > Ooh, look everyone, Hardon is attempting to develop a sense of humour.

    Nah, just more Quackery.

    --
    Did you know?
    Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.
    He thought he was God, and she didn't.

  19. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    * SomeBloke peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:33:52 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Tattoo Vampire writes:

    >>> PCLinuxOS hasn't crashed on us yet, you trolling assclown.

    >> I never said it did. Can you read? Can you spot a joke?

    > Ooh, look everyone, Hardon is attempting to develop a sense of humour.

    Yeah, and it's like watching Bill Gates try to be funny on the Microsoft
    Seinfeld advertisements on teevee. Painful!

    I do have to admit I appreciate Gates' willing self-deprecation though.
    His "doing the robot" is about as clumsy and bad as me doing the robot.
    But he got the power-down move to work well .

    > --
    > If it looks like a Duck, walks like a Duck and quacks like a Duck, it's a
    > Duck.
    >
    > Otherwise its a Hardon Quack!

    I.e. a major self-important asshole and pompous prick.

    --
    A copy of the universe is not what is required of art; one of the damned
    things is ample.

  20. Re: Somewhat OT: Our three offices love Google apps

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:49:54 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 07:25:36 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Surely you people did not think it would always be "for free" and your
    >>> data would be safe? Are they selling clothes to stupid Emperors too?

    >> Do you always have to be such an insufferable prick? You bitch about the
    >> lack of quality content in COLA... well, when anyone attempts to have a
    >> civil conversation, your sorry ass jumps in and disrupts everything.
    >>
    >> **** you.

    > One reason why Quack got binned in aolu was because the troll just
    > disrupted threads with drivel. "Grandstanding, whinnying, & raising
    > threads beyond the utter extremes of lunacy" is how his posts were
    > described.

    Yet you never miss an opportunity to reply to his posts third party.
    What a phony you are William Poaster.