ioctl() system call on Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on ioctl() system call on Linux - Linux ; Greetings, Please help me with the following : Where can I find what means exactly and how to use each of the second argument of the ioctl() system call in Linux : FIOxxx (file IOCTL requests), SIOxxx (socket IOCTL requests), ...

  1. ioctl() system call on Linux

    Greetings,

    Please help me with the following :

    Where can I find what means exactly and how to use each of the second
    argument of the ioctl() system call in Linux : FIOxxx (file IOCTL
    requests), SIOxxx (socket IOCTL requests), TCxxx TIOxxx (terminal
    IOCTL requests) ?

    I did not find yet anything useful on Internet about this topic.

    Maybe a Linux [kernel] developer could help me.

    Thanks,
    Alexandru Goia.

  2. Re: ioctl() system call on Linux

    alexandrug wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Please help me with the following :
    >
    > Where can I find what means exactly and how to use each of the second
    > argument of the ioctl() system call in Linux : FIOxxx (file IOCTL
    > requests), SIOxxx (socket IOCTL requests), TCxxx TIOxxx (terminal
    > IOCTL requests) ?
    >
    > I did not find yet anything useful on Internet about this topic.
    >
    > Maybe a Linux [kernel] developer could help me.

    A reply covering all is not available. The ioctl() calls
    are to fill the need for miscellaneous controls not covered
    by other means. Many of them are for a single device only,
    and they depend on what is coded into the driver.

    For the more general ioctls, start by reading two books
    by the late W. Richard Stevens:

    Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, and
    UNIX Network Programming.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  3. Re: ioctl() system call on Linux

    On 2008-09-14, alexandrug wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Please help me with the following :
    >
    > Where can I find what means exactly and how to use each of the second
    > argument of the ioctl() system call in Linux : FIOxxx (file IOCTL
    > requests), SIOxxx (socket IOCTL requests), TCxxx TIOxxx (terminal
    > IOCTL requests) ?

    hit the following man pages (and those they reference)

    ioctl_list(2)
    socket(7)
    tty_ioctl(4)
    fcntl(2)