[News] Ubuntu Wants Mozilla to Clean up Its EULA Act - Linux

  1. [News] Ubuntu Wants Mozilla to Clean up Its EULA Act

    AN IRRELEVANT LICENSE IS PRESENTED TO YOU FREE-OF-CHARGE ON STARTUP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mozilla Corp asked that this be added in order for us to continue to call the
    | browser Firefox. Since Firefox is their trademark, which we intend to
    | respect, we have the choice of working with Mozilla to meet their
    | requirements, or switching to an unbranded browser.
    |
    | It's strongly our preference, and that of most of our users, to have Firefox
    | as the browser in Ubuntu.
    |
    | I think it's perfectly reasonable for Mozilla to have requirements and
    | guidelines for the use of their trademark - we have the same for Ubuntu, and
    | many other free software projects do the same.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I believe we have a new package in Intrepid, called abrowser, which uses the
    | codebase behind Firefox without invoking the Firefox trade mark.
    `----

    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...656/comments/5

    Battle Brews Over Firefox In Ubuntu 8.10

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A number of users are now disturbed over having to see this EULA as they call
    | it "an irrelevant license" and that "mandating this EULA is going too far."
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjcxOA

    Related:

    Firefox 3.0 Beta 2 Is A Win For Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mozilla has released the latest beta of Firefox 3 today, and the Linux
    | efforts behind it are starting to show even more. This release, being a beta,
    | is surprisingly stable. Here’s the killer that makes this beta release
    | amazing: true GTK support. Â*
    `----

    http://fosswire.com/2007/12/20/firef...win-for-linux/

    Firefox 3: rocking on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A few people have been noticing how good our support on Linux has gotten
    | during the Firefox 3 development cycle and I thought I would post to try and
    | point out some of the good stuff that we have coming down the pipe. Â*
    `----

    http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=325

    Personas from Mozilla Labs give Firefox a sleek coat

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I probably won't use Personas much myself since I greatly prefer the
    | unadulterated GTK look in Firefox 3, but the addon is very intriguing from a
    | technical standpoint. The way that Personas takes Firefox's Internet
    | capabilities and leverages theme to bring dynamic content to the Firefox Â*
    | chrome layer is very creative and it reflects a lot of possibilities that I
    | had never previously considered. Â* Â*
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...x-a-sleek-coat

    Update on the Firefox 3 Linux Theme

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Work on the new linux theme for Firefox 3 is progressing nicely due to a very
    | active group of contributers. To match the operating system’s theme,
    | Firefox’s navigation toolbar will use native GTK icons. Â*
    `----

    http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007...3-linux-theme/

    Shop offers Firefoxers a discount

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He reckons Fireyferret users get, "a better overall experience when browsing
    | the internet. We want to reward people who take the next step and try the
    | browser for themselves." Â*
    |
    | We reckon it's just a publicity stunt, so we've forgotten to mention the name
    | of the shop or provide a link.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...oxers-discount

  2. Re: [News] Ubuntu Wants Mozilla to Clean up Its EULA Act

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:47:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Battle Brews Over Firefox In Ubuntu 8.10
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| A number of users are now disturbed over having to see this EULA as they call
    >| it "an irrelevant license" and that "mandating this EULA is going too far."

    And you think Mozilla cares?

    What is their Windows using population vs their Linux using population.
    Case closed.

    A couple of whiner Linux loons doesn't make a hill of beans of an impact on
    Mozilla.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Ubuntu Wants Mozilla to Clean up Its EULA Act

    On Sep 15, 11:13*am, "Moshe Goldfarb."
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:47:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > > Battle Brews Over Firefox In Ubuntu 8.10

    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > >| A number of users are now disturbed over having to see this EULA as they call
    > >| it "an irrelevant license" and that "mandating this EULA is going too far."

    > And you think Mozilla cares?
    >
    > What is their Windows using population vs their Linux using population.
    > Case closed.
    >
    > A couple of whiner Linux loons doesn't make a hill of beans of an impact on
    > Mozilla.
    >
    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    > Please Visitwww.linsux.org

    Mozilla would be stupid to piss off their friends. They'll be lonely
    if google abandons them ;-).

  4. Re: [News] Ubuntu Wants Mozilla to Clean up Its EULA Act

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Battle Brews Over Firefox In Ubuntu 8.10

    Here we go again. See today's Distrowatch Weekly:

    http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080915

    Last Sunday, a heated debate hit the Ubuntu mailing list and the Launchpad
    bug reporting facility. Apparently, Mozilla Foundation has updated their
    trademark policy, requiring every user to explicitly accept the licence
    agreement before using their products. This was seen as a usability
    drawback by Ubuntu's Mark Shuttleworth and many of the project's
    developers. Phoronix has published a good summary of the events under the
    title Battle Brews Over Firefox In Ubuntu 8.10, with a full quote from the
    Ubuntu founder and other links that discuss the situation.

    This brings memories of a similar debate that took place on the debian-devel
    mailing list not long ago. With Mozilla Corporation imposing guidelines and
    licenses increasingly incompatible with Debian's own policies, the
    distribution came up with a typically open-source solution. Since all
    Mozilla products are provided in the form of freely available source code,
    one can simply compile the code, rename the resulting binary - and voilĂ*, a
    new product is born. Since October 2006, Debian no longer includes Firefox,
    Thunderbird or SeaMonkey in their distribution, but instead ships Iceweasel
    (a Debian edition of Firefox), Icedove (Thunderbird) and Iceape
    (SeaMonkey). While most Debian derivatives accepted this situation and
    switched to Iceweasel, Ubuntu had, at the time, struck a deal with Mozilla
    that was acceptable to both parties, thus continuing to provide Firefox in
    Ubuntu under its proper name. This, however, might now change. As a matter
    of fact, the Ubuntu development repositories now contain a package called
    abrowser, an unbranded edition of Firefox.

    It will be interesting to see how other distributions handle this tricky
    issue. Luckily, it seems that the open source world provides a greater
    number of acceptable solutions to these types of controversies than any
    closed-source or proprietary software product ever could.

  5. Re: [News] Ubuntu Wants Mozilla to Clean up Its EULA Act

    On 2008-09-15, Robin T Cox wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Battle Brews Over Firefox In Ubuntu 8.10

    > Here we go again. See today's Distrowatch Weekly:
    >
    > http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080915
    >

    > Last Sunday, a heated debate hit the Ubuntu mailing list and the Launchpad
    > bug reporting facility. Apparently, Mozilla Foundation has updated their
    > trademark policy, requiring every user to explicitly accept the licence
    > agreement before using their products. This was seen as a usability
    > drawback by Ubuntu's Mark Shuttleworth and many of the project's
    > developers. Phoronix has published a good summary of the events under the
    > title Battle Brews Over Firefox In Ubuntu 8.10, with a full quote from the
    > Ubuntu founder and other links that discuss the situation.
    >
    > This brings memories of a similar debate that took place on the debian-devel
    > mailing list not long ago. With Mozilla Corporation imposing guidelines and
    > licenses increasingly incompatible with Debian's own policies, the
    > distribution came up with a typically open-source solution. Since all
    > Mozilla products are provided in the form of freely available source code,
    > one can simply compile the code, rename the resulting binary - and voilĂ*, a
    > new product is born. Since October 2006, Debian no longer includes Firefox,
    > Thunderbird or SeaMonkey in their distribution, but instead ships Iceweasel
    > (a Debian edition of Firefox), Icedove (Thunderbird) and Iceape
    > (SeaMonkey). While most Debian derivatives accepted this situation and
    > switched to Iceweasel, Ubuntu had, at the time, struck a deal with Mozilla
    > that was acceptable to both parties, thus continuing to provide Firefox in
    > Ubuntu under its proper name. This, however, might now change. As a matter
    > of fact, the Ubuntu development repositories now contain a package called
    > abrowser, an unbranded edition of Firefox.
    >
    > It will be interesting to see how other distributions handle this tricky
    > issue. Luckily, it seems that the open source world provides a greater
    > number of acceptable solutions to these types of controversies than any
    > closed-source or proprietary software product ever could.

    Never noticed the problem on Gentoo. I have the USE=mozbranding flag
    set, so that firefox is compiled as "firefox" in Gentoo. No funny
    branding, or user agreements required. This is perfectly acceptable as
    long as I don't distribute the compiled binary as "firefox".

    Gentoo power...

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.