Linux DELL Mini - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux DELL Mini - Linux ; This is a first for me, seeing Linux in a Sunday color advertising supplement. Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu Linux 8.04. It's a bit expensive, $349 for 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gb solid-state drive, 8.9" WSVGA. Oddly enough, it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Linux DELL Mini

    This is a first for me, seeing Linux in a Sunday color advertising
    supplement. Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu Linux 8.04. It's a bit
    expensive, $349 for 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gb solid-state drive, 8.9" WSVGA.
    Oddly enough, it comes with McAfee SecurityCenter.

    Of course, at the top of the page it says "Dell recommends Windows for
    everyday computing."

    Michael Dell must feel like a girl with a new boyfriend who is being
    stalked by the old boyfriend.

    Anyway, it's looking more and more like Microsoft has bloated its way
    out of a growing market segment.

    --
    Mountain Dew and doughnuts... because breakfast is the most important meal
    of the day.

  2. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    Linonut wrote:

    > This is a first for me, seeing Linux in a Sunday color advertising
    > supplement. Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu Linux 8.04. It's a bit
    > expensive, $349 for 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gb solid-state drive, 8.9" WSVGA.
    > Oddly enough, it comes with McAfee SecurityCenter.

    I didnt get the advert... does it mention what processor is in it?

    > Of course, at the top of the page it says "Dell recommends Windows for
    > everyday computing."
    >
    > Michael Dell must feel like a girl with a new boyfriend who is being
    > stalked by the old boyfriend.
    >
    > Anyway, it's looking more and more like Microsoft has bloated its way
    > out of a growing market segment.

    It does. Yes... it does.

    --

    Jerry

  3. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    Jerry McBride writes:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> This is a first for me, seeing Linux in a Sunday color advertising
    >> supplement. Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu Linux 8.04. It's a bit
    >> expensive, $349 for 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gb solid-state drive, 8.9" WSVGA.
    >> Oddly enough, it comes with McAfee SecurityCenter.
    >>

    > I didnt get the advert... does it mention what processor is in it?
    >

    >> Of course, at the top of the page it says "Dell recommends Windows for
    >> everyday computing."
    >>
    >> Michael Dell must feel like a girl with a new boyfriend who is being
    >> stalked by the old boyfriend.
    >>
    >> Anyway, it's looking more and more like Microsoft has bloated its way
    >> out of a growing market segment.
    >>

    > It does. Yes... it does.

    And yet above Liarnut claims this Linux machine is a "bit
    expensive". And bloated (comes with unnecessary SW).

    Are you paying the "we cant sell enough" Linux tax I wonder?

    --
    "I am not worthy to wipe your pee-pee "
    -- Liarnut in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  4. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    7 wrote:

    > Well if you want to be like that, when are going to call your
    > other asstroturfing buddy Moshe Goldfart a liar?

    Sorry nanoboy but I don't lie.
    I call em' like I see em'.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    Linonut wrote:

    > This is a first for me, seeing Linux in a Sunday color advertising
    > supplement. Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu Linux 8.04. It's a
    > bit expensive, $349 for 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gb solid-state drive, 8.9"
    > WSVGA. Oddly enough, it comes with McAfee SecurityCenter.

    Interesting.
    It's not in the Dell *blow in* in my Sunday paper....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please visit www.linsux.org

  6. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

    > 7 wrote:
    >

    >> Well if you want to be like that, when are going to call your
    >> other asstroturfing buddy Moshe Goldfart a liar?

    > Sorry nanoboy but I don't lie.
    > I call em' like I see em'.

    Then what's stopping you from calling Hardon a Liar??!

  7. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    7 wrote:

    > Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    > wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:
    >
    >> 7 wrote:
    >>

    >>> Well if you want to be like that, when are going to call your
    >>> other asstroturfing buddy Moshe Goldfart a liar?

    >> Sorry nanoboy but I don't lie.
    >> I call em' like I see em'.

    > Then what's stopping you from calling Hardon a Liar??!

    He is not a liar.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please visit www.linsux.org

  8. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

    > 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    >> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

    >>> Sorry nanoboy but I don't lie.
    >>> I call em' like I see em'.

    >> Then what's stopping you from calling Hardon a Liar??!

    > He is not a liar.

    Thats proof that Hardon should be calling you a liar.

  9. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    "7" schreef in bericht
    news:e0czk.57642$E41.33873@text.news.virginmedia.c om...
    > Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    > wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:
    >

    >> 7 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb

    >>> Then what's stopping you from calling Hardon a Liar??!

    >> He is not a liar.

    > Thats proof that Hardon should be calling you a liar.

    Hi Mr. Fractalrobot,

    Second speaker was Joseph Michael, who does research at the Robodyne
    Cybernetics in London. He demonstrated a prototype of one - to own say -
    revolutionary invention: a robot on the basis of the fractal technology.

    http://web.tiscali.it/fractalrobot/joe.gif
    http://tinyurl.com/67ckc8
    Signed, 7 AKA J. MICHAEL, king of retards.
    A Lifelong Windows Developer
    Pretend Linux "Advocate"
    Obsessive Freeloader
    Failed Promoter Of Proprietary, Patented Schemes
    All Around Fraud And Hypocrite

  10. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:Lc8zk.28326$rD2.18203@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
    > This is a first for me, seeing Linux in a Sunday color advertising
    > supplement. Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu Linux 8.04. It's a bit
    > expensive, $349 for 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gb solid-state drive, 8.9" WSVGA.
    > Oddly enough, it comes with McAfee SecurityCenter.
    >
    > Of course, at the top of the page it says "Dell recommends Windows for
    > everyday computing."
    >
    > Michael Dell must feel like a girl with a new boyfriend who is being
    > stalked by the old boyfriend.
    >
    > Anyway, it's looking more and more like Microsoft has bloated its way
    > out of a growing market segment.

    Or maybe they are just using Ubuntu as an excuse to upsell the casual
    consumer. Consider the story told at
    http://www.dell.com/content/products...dhs&ref=homepg

    There is the classic example of the good/better/best product presentation
    technique. Good is the Ubuntu version for $349, better is and XP version at
    $399 and Best is the XP version at $449 ($424 if you are willing to have a
    black case instead of a white one). Now you cannot order the better or the
    best with Ubuntu and you cannot order the bottom of the line without Ubuntu,
    but you might note the "May delay your Inspiron Mini 9 ship date" note
    posted on the OS selection page for the Ubuntu version.

    Ordering the better gives you an additional 4GB of solid state disk storage
    for the $50 difference and the extra &75 gives you a whopping 12GB extra
    storage and another half GB of RAM. Curiously enough, it would cost $100 to
    add this RAM and extra HDD storage to the Ubuntu machine, which makes the
    package $25 more for Ubuntu than for XP.

    Bottom line, though, the message being sent loud and clear to Dell
    prospective customers is that you get Linux at the bottom of the line and
    upgrade to Windows. You would be silly to applaud this move, I think, but
    many Linux fans seem to be doing just that.

  11. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:21:58 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > This is a first for me, seeing Linux in a Sunday color advertising
    > supplement. Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu Linux 8.04. It's a bit
    > expensive, $349 for 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gb solid-state drive, 8.9" WSVGA.
    > Oddly enough, it comes with McAfee SecurityCenter.
    >
    > Of course, at the top of the page it says "Dell recommends Windows for
    > everyday computing."
    >
    > Michael Dell must feel like a girl with a new boyfriend who is being
    > stalked by the old boyfriend.
    >
    > Anyway, it's looking more and more like Microsoft has bloated its way
    > out of a growing market segment.

    I've observed that in our 'parade' magazine supplement. Interesting. I
    wonder if this could mark the beginning of the end for MS.

  12. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    ray writes:

    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:21:58 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> This is a first for me, seeing Linux in a Sunday color advertising
    >> supplement. Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu Linux 8.04. It's a bit
    >> expensive, $349 for 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gb solid-state drive, 8.9" WSVGA.
    >> Oddly enough, it comes with McAfee SecurityCenter.
    >>
    >> Of course, at the top of the page it says "Dell recommends Windows for
    >> everyday computing."
    >>
    >> Michael Dell must feel like a girl with a new boyfriend who is being
    >> stalked by the old boyfriend.
    >>
    >> Anyway, it's looking more and more like Microsoft has bloated its way
    >> out of a growing market segment.

    > I've observed that in our 'parade' magazine supplement. Interesting. I
    > wonder if this could mark the beginning of the end for MS.

    Second time today someone has mentioned that. We have almost hit the
    average per day of 3. Anyone else?

    --
    If you take both of those factors together then WinXP is a flop, selling
    *less* than Win 98 by a factor of two.

  13. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > Ordering the better gives you an additional 4GB of solid state disk storage
    > for the $50 difference and the extra &75 gives you a whopping 12GB extra
    > storage and another half GB of RAM. *Curiously enough, it would cost $100 to
    > add this RAM and extra HDD storage to the Ubuntu machine, which makes the
    > package $25 more for Ubuntu than for XP.

    Yes, and from memory, I believe that you are correct in what you say there.
    It's interesting situation, isn't it?
    Somehow, they are able to pay *you* $25 for "buying" an XP licence!
    However.....

    > Bottom line, though, the message being sent loud and clear to Dell
    > prospective customers is that you get Linux at the bottom of the line and
    > upgrade to Windows. *You would be silly to applaud this move, I think, but
    > many Linux fans seem to be doing just that.

    "Upgrade to Windows" has an amusing connotation in this context, does it not?
    Please contradict me in this if I am wrong, but if one bought any model with
    Linux, and then changed one's mind,

    - the cost of then buying a retail XP licence would be prohibitive...

    - but as far as I am aware, you couldn't buy one anyway! I believe that XP is
    no longer available, except with a new machine. Is that correct?

    Another interesting aspect of course is that one could agree to be "paid" to
    take XP away on any machine, and then upgrade the machine to Linux at no
    extra cost at all, couldn't one?:-)

    I think it's time that the manufacturers gave prices of like-for-like with any
    OS - don't you?

  14. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    On Sep 14, 6:21 am, Linonut wrote:
    > This is a first for me, seeing Linux in a Sunday color advertising
    > supplement. Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu Linux 8.04. It's a bit
    > expensive, $349 for 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gb solid-state drive, 8.9" WSVGA.
    > Oddly enough, it comes with McAfee SecurityCenter.
    >
    > Of course, at the top of the page it says "Dell recommends Windows for
    > everyday computing."
    >
    > Michael Dell must feel like a girl with a new boyfriend who is being
    > stalked by the old boyfriend.
    >
    > Anyway, it's looking more and more like Microsoft has bloated its way
    > out of a growing market segment.
    >
    > --
    > Mountain Dew and doughnuts... because breakfast is the most important meal
    > of the day.

    I was just in Future Shop on Friday. What caught my eye was an Acer
    Aspire One. $329 for a 1.6 Ghz Atom processor, 8" LCD, 802.11g wifi,
    three usb ports, ext video port, ethernet, multi card reader.
    I grabbed one. And so did two other people while the salesman was
    ringing in my sale.
    Funny ting though was the way the saleman was trying sooo hard to tlak
    me out of this. Linux wasn't fast, Linux was unstable and untested,
    Open Office was infringing on Microsoft patents. It was quite funny
    listening to this.
    Anyways I've been running this machine for the last two days and all I
    can say is Acer does have a winner here.

    And for those who can't understand why I like this machine so much, I
    like it because it is so small and light compared to my four year old
    Dell Latitude D600. The aspire plays all of my media and it's not as
    limited as it appears to be. There is a dedicated slot on the left
    side of the machine for a SD card that becomes part of the system
    memory. The media slot on the right of the machine mounts inserted
    media, but it doesn't become part of the system memory. I haven't had
    any trouble browsing any web sites. All media from CNN, CBC and BBC
    plays.
    Open office run just fine. My on line banking works. Connecting to my
    email via the Microsoft Exchange webmail server at work works.

    All in all, a good little machine

  15. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    On 2008-09-14, Linonut claimed:
    > This is a first for me, seeing Linux in a Sunday color advertising
    > supplement. Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu Linux 8.04. It's a bit
    > expensive, $349 for 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gb solid-state drive, 8.9" WSVGA.
    > Oddly enough, it comes with McAfee SecurityCenter.
    >
    > Of course, at the top of the page it says "Dell recommends Windows for
    > everyday computing."
    >
    > Michael Dell must feel like a girl with a new boyfriend who is being
    > stalked by the old boyfriend.
    >
    > Anyway, it's looking more and more like Microsoft has bloated its way
    > out of a growing market segment.

    Microsoft? Microsoft who?

    Oh, you mean that half-assed company that once upon a time polluted the
    planet with their addictions to half-assed crap that people thought
    they needed.

    Glad they died.

    --
    VISTA: Very Irritating System, Try Another

  16. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    On Sep 14, 2:39 pm, Sinister Midget wrote:
    > On 2008-09-14, Linonut claimed:
    >
    > > This is a first for me, seeing Linux in a Sunday color advertising
    > > supplement. Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu Linux 8.04. It's a bit
    > > expensive, $349 for 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gb solid-state drive, 8.9" WSVGA.
    > > Oddly enough, it comes with McAfee SecurityCenter.

    > > Of course, at the top of the page it says "Dell recommends Windows for
    > > everyday computing."

    > > Michael Dell must feel like a girl with a new boyfriend who is being
    > > stalked by the old boyfriend.

    > > Anyway, it's looking more and more like Microsoft has bloated its way
    > > out of a growing market segment.

    > Microsoft? Microsoft who?
    >
    > Oh, you mean that half-assed company that once upon a time polluted the
    > planet with their addictions to half-assed crap that people thought
    > they needed.
    >
    > Glad they died.
    >
    > --
    > VISTA: Very Irritating System, Try Another

    Thanks for the laugh!

  17. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:58:06 +0100, bbgruff wrote:

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Ordering the better gives you an additional 4GB of solid state disk storage
    >> for the $50 difference and the extra &75 gives you a whopping 12GB extra
    >> storage and another half GB of RAM. *Curiously enough, it would cost $100 to
    >> add this RAM and extra HDD storage to the Ubuntu machine, which makes the
    >> package $25 more for Ubuntu than for XP.

    > Yes, and from memory, I believe that you are correct in what you say there.
    > It's interesting situation, isn't it?
    > Somehow, they are able to pay *you* $25 for "buying" an XP licence!
    > However.....

    Pricing of products, especially in the complex world of a company like Dell
    is a carefully thought out process and believe it or not there is a method
    to the madness.

    >> Bottom line, though, the message being sent loud and clear to Dell
    >> prospective customers is that you get Linux at the bottom of the line and
    >> upgrade to Windows. *You would be silly to applaud this move, I think, but
    >> many Linux fans seem to be doing just that.

    > "Upgrade to Windows" has an amusing connotation in this context, does it not?
    > Please contradict me in this if I am wrong, but if one bought any model with
    > Linux, and then changed one's mind,
    >
    > - the cost of then buying a retail XP licence would be prohibitive...
    >
    > - but as far as I am aware, you couldn't buy one anyway! I believe that XP is
    > no longer available, except with a new machine. Is that correct?
    >
    > Another interesting aspect of course is that one could agree to be "paid" to
    > take XP away on any machine, and then upgrade the machine to Linux at no
    > extra cost at all, couldn't one?:-)
    >
    > I think it's time that the manufacturers gave prices of like-for-like with any
    > OS - don't you?

    Personally I feel every single Dell offering should be made as a blank
    system as well as a preloaded system

    They will never do that however.
    At least not without conditions.

    Why?
    Their support structure revolves around running software to determine
    hardware problems.

  18. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    bbgruff wrote:

    > Yes, and from memory, I believe that you are correct in what you say there.
    > It's interesting situation, isn't it?
    > Somehow, they are able to pay you $25 for "buying" an XP licence!
    > However.....

    Puzzled by this Dell pricing, I looked at Amazon (U.K.) prices for the Acer
    Aspire One.
    This seems (to me) to be rather more sensible pricing, in that one seems to be
    able to compare like-for-like H/W, with only the OS changing.

    For example:-

    1GB/120GB £249.99/£299.99 (Linux/XP)
    512MB/120GB £229.99/£268.99

    (8GB SSD versions available with Linux, but not XP?)

    Link is here:-
    http://tinyurl.com/6drrqu

    - but no doubt (knowing Amazon) prices etc will change rapidly - I can only
    report what I see as I write:-)

    Anyway, unless I'm missing something in the H/W spec, it looks as though XP
    costs £40 to £50?

    As for Dell, I would much rather they showed the base price, and a "no OS"
    option, then an additional price for the OS.
    Yes, I accept that the Linux price might not be zero (support), and that the
    XP price might be subsidised by crapware. Even so, it would be nice to see,
    and to be able to buy a bare machine while having the assurance that it would
    run Linux (since pre-loaded Linux would be an option)

  19. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:38:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > ray writes:
    >
    >> On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:21:58 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is a first for me, seeing Linux in a Sunday color advertising
    >>> supplement. Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu Linux 8.04. It's a bit
    >>> expensive, $349 for 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gb solid-state drive, 8.9" WSVGA.
    >>> Oddly enough, it comes with McAfee SecurityCenter.
    >>>
    >>> Of course, at the top of the page it says "Dell recommends Windows for
    >>> everyday computing."
    >>>
    >>> Michael Dell must feel like a girl with a new boyfriend who is being
    >>> stalked by the old boyfriend.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, it's looking more and more like Microsoft has bloated its way
    >>> out of a growing market segment.

    >> I've observed that in our 'parade' magazine supplement. Interesting. I
    >> wonder if this could mark the beginning of the end for MS.

    > Second time today someone has mentioned that. We have almost hit the
    > average per day of 3. Anyone else?

    So what's the matter there Hardon - does that wrinkle your panties?

  20. Re: Linux DELL Mini

    ray writes:

    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:38:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> ray writes:

    >>> I've observed that in our 'parade' magazine supplement. Interesting. I
    >>> wonder if this could mark the beginning of the end for MS.

    >> Second time today someone has mentioned that. We have almost hit the
    >> average per day of 3. Anyone else?

    > So what's the matter there Hardon - does that wrinkle your panties?

    Not really Ray, no.

    It makes me laugh.

    MS is going nowhere at the moment and fools, the likes of found in COLA,
    predicting otherwise are merely pissing into the wind.

    If people in COLA wised up, stopped advocating pirating SW and actually
    contributed to the OSS movement and Linux then maybe things would change
    faster. Few, if any, have actually done anything to help Linux in the
    real world. Your library is an exception.

    --
    "For example, user interfaces are _usually_ better in commercial software.
    I'm not saying that this is always true, but in many cases the user

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast