Unigine Tropics Sets Linux OpenGL Precedence

,----[ Quote ]
| Unigine Tropics is set around a tropical environment (hence its name) and it
| runs through various scenes of an island during both the day and night. Some
| of its technical features though include a dynamic sky with light scattering,
| live water with a surf zone and caustics, special materials for vegetation,
| HDR rendering, parallel split shadow map for the sun, depth of field, and
| real-time ambient occlusion. Whether you are interested in benchmarking or
| not, this is one impressive graphics demo just to watch -- permitting your
| graphics card can handle it!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._tropics&num=1

Great Unigine shots. Just made me some new wallpapers.

Hollywood uses OpenGL. Microsoft uses hype, deception, and fake shots (details
below).

Recent:

OpenGL 3.0 - A Big Step in the Right Direction

,----[ Quote ]
| GL 3.0 takes two important steps to moving open standard graphics forward in
| a major way. The first is to provide core and ARB extension access to the new
| and exciting capabilities of hardware. The second is to create a roadmap that
| allows developers to see what parts of core specifications will be going away
| in the future, also providing the OpenGL ARB with a way to introduce new
| features faster.
`----

http://fireuser.com/blog/opengl_30_a...ght_direction/

OpenGL 3 Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenGL Architecture Review Board officially announced OpenGL 3 on August
| 8th 2007 at the Siggraph Birds of a Feather (BOF) in San Diego, CA.
|
| [...]
|
| OpenGL 3 is a true industry effort with broad support from all vendors in the
| ARB. The OpenGL 3 specification is on track to be finalized at the next
| face-to-face meeting of the OpenGL ARB, at the end of August.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/1844...L-3-Announced/

Related:

DirectX 10 vs OpenGL 2.1 Graphics

,----[ Quote ]
| Now check out OpenGL 2.1 vs. DirectX 10 / 9 graphics.
`----

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/inde...howtopic=13647

OpenGL is far from dead

,----[ Quote ]
| Khronos took over the running of the OpenGL Architecture Review
| Board last Autumn and has managed to get chip-makers like Nvidia
| to open up DX10-esque hardware features in the OpenGL system.
| "The extension mechanism has also allowed manufacturers of high
| end cards to gracefully expose DirectX 10 features on Windows
| XP," Splash said.
`----

Apple’s Leopard with DirectX-like OpenGL? More hints.

,----[ Quote ]
| This means that the main person behind the newest OpenGL - which will support
| all the new graphics technology available today - is employed by Apple.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/0...gl-more-hints/

Valve survey shows hundreds of thousands steamed up

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the survey also shows how far Microsoft et al have to go
| - currently, DX10-capable gamers (ie those with Vista and a DX10 card)
| make up 1.21% of the gaming population.
| * * * * ^^^^^
`----

DAAMIT! AMD's DX10 is not up to scratch

,----[ Quote ]
| The gap isn't much, but there's a good 10-15 per cent difference between
| the two cards, and this is rather disappointing for a card that has
| been repeatedly marketed as future proof.
`----

Inside CNET Labs: Lamenting DirectX 10

,----[ Quote ]
| We compared the same title side by side on a system running DX10 on Vista to
| the same title on an identical system running DX9 on XP, and it's
| difficult--sometimes impossible--to detect significant differences in how the
| games look or perform. *
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9750536-1.html

Adding DX10 has "done nothing"