[News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org - Linux

  1. [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    Test drive OpenOffice 3 RC 1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The final release of OpenOffice.org 3.0 is expected later this month, in time
    | for the upcoming Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora and OpenSuse releases later this
    | year.
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3031

    But:

    Defeated (the common sense, by Mandriva)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | # rpm -i --force openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586.rpm 2>&1 |
    | grep mono
    | libmono.so.0 is needed by
    | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    | mono(mscorlib) = 1.0.5000.0 is needed by
    | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    | mono(mscorlib) = 2.0.0.0 is needed by
    | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    `----

    http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...n-sense-by-man

    Here is Microsoft saying that it's patent poison:
    http://boycottnovell.com/2006/11/19/...ld-is-ooo-too/

    Related:

    Embracing the .Beast

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mono allows programmers to program in Visual Basic on Linux and run their
    | applications on Windows, or develop in C# on Windows and run their
    | applications on Linux, but remains a controversial addition to the Linux
    | developers' arsenal. *
    `----

    http://www.itpro.co.uk/servers/featu...the-beast.html

    OpenSolaris, Gobuntu, and be careful who you kiss

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I read the agreement between Xandros and Microsoft, and one of the excluded
    | products was Mono, so Microsoft promises to not sue Xandros over their
    | distribution but excluding Mono and a few other products, i.e. they reserve
    | the right to sue over Mono. I wonder if this is an interesting preview of on
    | what basis they want to fight the free world. * *
    |
    | Interestingly, the Novell deal seems to be different, Mono is not excluded
    | from the Novell deal. So Microsoft seems to be promising not to sue Novell
    | over Mono, but keeps the option open for Xandros. Weird but true. *
    `----

    http://commandline.org.uk/2007/be-careful-who-you-kiss/

    Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | is Mono's role in the deal that of a hook to make customers write
    | .NET applications because they can be run on Linux - only to find
    | later on that they are armless or legless because of a change in
    | the .NETspecifications, a change which Microsoft decides not to
    | make public?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | And here we have an individual who decides to replicate one of
    | the proprietary company's development environments - for reasons
    | best known to him alone - and keeps telling people that the reason
    | he's doing it is so that he can pull people over from the
    | proprietary company's side to his side!!!
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?o...81&Itemid=1091

    Red Hat Doesn't Want Mono *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are a lot of great new programs and innovations expected
    | in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The Novell-led Mono project isn't
    | one of them.
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/3644981

    Who would use Mono now?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With Java available as default in every Linux distribution (made
    | possible by the move to GPL) I think Java has a great future on
    | Linux. Better integration into the Gnome and KDE desktops would be
    | nice, but I guess that is just a matter of time now that it's
    | Open Source.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | You can call it FUD, but for me it's a question of investing my time
    | and energy in technology that are and will be available on the
    | platforms I use (Mac OS X and Linux). I don't trust Microsoft and I
    | don't trust Novell anymore either. Who knows when Microsot will bring
    | out it's patents and kill Mono use outside of Novell? I think .NET is
    | good if you want to develop for Windows only. For cross platform
    | development I would not use it - I would go for Java.
    `----

    http://labora.harnvi.net/?p=37

  2. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    > Defeated (the common sense, by Mandriva)
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | # rpm -i --force openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586.rpm 2>&1 |
    > | grep mono
    > | libmono.so.0 is needed by
    > | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    > | mono(mscorlib) = 1.0.5000.0 is needed by
    > | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    > | mono(mscorlib) = 2.0.0.0 is needed by
    > | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    > `----
    >
    > http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...n-sense-by-man

    Oh crap. Don't tell me OOo is being poisoned by Mono too now.

    Time to switch to KOffice.

    I already intend switching my whole network over to KDE anyway, once
    Fedora 10 is released.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
    | longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
    | ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083
    `----

    09:10:22 up 29 days, 6:23, 4 users, load average: 0.22, 0.27, 0.29

  3. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    Homer wrote:

    > Oh crap. Don't tell me OOo is being poisoned by Mono too now.

    Hahahha!

    Welcome to the real world.

    > Time to switch to KOffice.

    You'll be sorry..............

    > I already intend switching my whole network over to KDE anyway, once
    > Fedora 10 is released.

    Poor baby....
    Would you like some cheese with that *whine* ?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

  5. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > Homer wrote:
    >

    >> Oh crap. Don't tell me OOo is being poisoned by Mono too now.

    > Hahahha!
    >
    > Welcome to the real world.
    >

    >> Time to switch to KOffice.

    > You'll be sorry..............
    >
    >> I already intend switching my whole network over to KDE anyway, once
    >> Fedora 10 is released.

    Wow. What an idiot. KDE's instability is legendary. As for
    KOffice. LOL. Dead in the water.

    So now OO is evil too.

    > Poor baby....
    > Would you like some cheese with that *whine* ?

    Homer is insane.

    --
    "I would assume her children might like to know where their mother is and
    have a place to *visit* her."

  6. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    "Moshe Goldfarb" schreef in bericht
    > Homer wrote:
    >

    >> Oh crap. Don't tell me OOo is being poisoned by Mono too now.

    > Hahahha!
    >
    > Welcome to the real world.
    >

    >> Time to switch to KOffice.

    > You'll be sorry..............
    >
    >> I already intend switching my whole network over to KDE anyway, once
    >> Fedora 10 is released.

    > Poor baby....

    Wow! Is this Homer?
    http://www.net-games.biz/funny-pictu...ctures/969.jpg

    > Would you like some cheese with that *whine* ?

  7. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    In article <1837585.e2cNdtANZD@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | # rpm -i --force openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586.rpm 2>&1
    > | |
    > | grep mono
    > | libmono.so.0 is needed by
    > | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    > | mono(mscorlib) = 1.0.5000.0 is needed by
    > | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    > | mono(mscorlib) = 2.0.0.0 is needed by
    > | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    > `----
    >
    > http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...eated-the-comm
    > on-sense-by-man

    If you read the author's remarks in the comments there, they are
    interesting. He would have a similar objection if OO required Perl, or
    Python, or pretty much anything else (including QT or GTK+). He seems
    to think it should be a pure C or C++ program, using no libraries other
    than the lowest level system libraries and the lowest level X libraries.

    > Here is Microsoft saying that it's patent poison:
    > http://boycottnovell.com/2006/11/19/...ld-is-ooo-too/

    Really? When did Microsoft acquire boycottnovell.com and use that to
    make official statements?

    Wait, they didn't. That link is to you making your usual made-up claims
    about Mono.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    In article , Homer
    wrote:

    > Oh crap. Don't tell me OOo is being poisoned by Mono too now.
    >
    > Time to switch to KOffice.

    KOffice has poor ODF support, so what document format will you use?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    > In article , Homer
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Oh crap. Don't tell me OOo is being poisoned by Mono too now.
    >>
    >> Time to switch to KOffice.

    > KOffice has poor ODF support, so what document format will you use?

    http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=KOffice_and_ODF

    They're working on it.

    --
    The chief enemy of creativity is "good" sense
    -- Picasso

  10. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <1837585.e2cNdtANZD@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | # rpm -i --force openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586.rpm
    >> | # 2>&1
    >> | |
    >> | grep mono
    >> | libmono.so.0 is needed by
    >> | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    >> | mono(mscorlib) = 1.0.5000.0 is needed by
    >> | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    >> | mono(mscorlib) = 2.0.0.0 is needed by
    >> | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://beranger.org

    index.php?page=diary&2008/09/12/06/09/30-defeated-the-comm
    >> on-sense-by-man

    > If you read the author's remarks in the comments there, they are
    > interesting. He would have a similar objection if OO required Perl, or
    > Python, or pretty much anything else (including QT or GTK+). He seems
    > to think it should be a pure C or C++ program, using no libraries other
    > than the lowest level system libraries and the lowest level X libraries.

    Thats not a bad idea and probably 100% on the mark.

    Some of these kinds of software have to run on many other machines
    (such as embedded, MIPS machines etc) and not all of these have the kinds of
    memory resources and RAM for uneccessary bloat. It also slows down the
    product. All these other functions that need to be put in should be done
    as plugins so that appropriate libs can be loaded IF REQUIRED.

  11. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    > In article <1837585.e2cNdtANZD@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | # rpm -i --force openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586.rpm 2>&1
    >> | |
    >> | grep mono
    >> | libmono.so.0 is needed by
    >> | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    >> | mono(mscorlib) = 1.0.5000.0 is needed by
    >> | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    >> | mono(mscorlib) = 2.0.0.0 is needed by
    >> | openoffice.org-common-3.0svn13475-1mdv2009.0.i586
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...n-sense-by-man

    > If you read the author's remarks in the comments there, they are
    > interesting. He would have a similar objection if OO required Perl, or
    > Python, or pretty much anything else (including QT or GTK+). He seems
    > to think it should be a pure C or C++ program, using no libraries other
    > than the lowest level system libraries and the lowest level X libraries.

    In any case, if you apply ldd to every component in Debian's install of
    openoffice, in /usr/lib/openoffice/program, there aren't any
    dependencies on a mono library.

    While no where near conclusive (there are openoffice gnome and evolution
    debs in my /var/cache/apt/archives that need to be examined), it looks
    more like a packaging mistake.

    Anyway, Tim, you may be mischaracterizing his opinion:

    So, in order to use a future OpenOffice.org 5.0, we should prepare to
    be REQUIRED to have installed on our distro of choice: Qt3, Qt4, Qt5,
    GTK+ 2.x, GTK+ 3.0, Mono, Perl, Awk, Python, LISP, CAML, Pike, Lua,
    FOX Toolkit, ncurses, and 5,764 libraries and system utilities. Just
    to be able to use an office suite. Because, you know, this is
    progress, so why should this be a problem?

    --
    If you have never been hated by your child, you have never been a parent.
    -- Bette Davis

  12. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article , Homer
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Oh crap. Don't tell me OOo is being poisoned by Mono too now.
    >>
    >> Time to switch to KOffice.

    > KOffice has poor ODF support, so what document format will you use?

    Knowing these Linux COLA idiots, plain text......

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please visit www.linsux.org

  13. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    Tim Smith wrote:

    http://boycottnovell.com/2006/11/19/...ld-is-ooo-too/

    > Really? When did Microsoft acquire boycottnovell.com and use that
    > to make official statements?
    >
    > Wait, they didn't. That link is to you making your usual made-up
    > claims about Mono.

    If Schestowitz keeps up the libel and slander, Microsoft just might
    acquire BN, but not in the way Roy Schestowitz is planning on......

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please visit www.linsux.org

  14. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    ____/ Linonut on Sunday 14 September 2008 14:27 : \____

    > * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In article <1837585.e2cNdtANZD@schestowitz.com>,
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> | |
    >>> `----

    http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...n-sense-by-man

    >> If you read the author's remarks in the comments there, they are
    >> interesting. He would have a similar objection if OO required Perl, or
    >> Python, or pretty much anything else (including QT or GTK+). He seems
    >> to think it should be a pure C or C++ program, using no libraries other
    >> than the lowest level system libraries and the lowest level X libraries.

    > In any case, if you apply ldd to every component in Debian's install of
    > openoffice, in /usr/lib/openoffice/program, there aren't any
    > dependencies on a mono library.
    >
    > While no where near conclusive (there are openoffice gnome and evolution
    > debs in my /var/cache/apt/archives that need to be examined), it looks
    > more like a packaging mistake.
    >
    > Anyway, Tim, you may be mischaracterizing his opinion:
    >
    > So, in order to use a future OpenOffice.org 5.0, we should prepare to
    > be REQUIRED to have installed on our distro of choice: Qt3, Qt4, Qt5,
    > GTK+ 2.x, GTK+ 3.0, Mono, Perl, Awk, Python, LISP, CAML, Pike, Lua,
    > FOX Toolkit, ncurses, and 5,764 libraries and system utilities. Just
    > to be able to use an office suite. Because, you know, this is
    > progress, so why should this be a problem?

    It's a packaging mistake and Mandriva is now aware of this.

    http://boycottnovell.com/2008/09/13/...ted-mono-trap/

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "I don’t understand how IE is going to win. The current path is simply to copy
    everything that Netscape does packaging and product wise."
    --Jim Allchin, Microsoft
    17:05:01 up 5 days, 11:00, 1 user, load average: 1.03, 0.99, 0.89

  15. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > It's a packaging mistake and Mandriva is now aware of this.
    >
    > http://boycottnovell.com/2008/09/13/...ted-mono-trap/

    Yea....

    They probably forgot to try and charge the user for it......

    Mandriva sucks...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please visit www.linsux.org

  16. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    > * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >> In article , Homer
    >> wrote:

    >>> Oh crap. Don't tell me OOo is being poisoned by Mono too now.
    >>>
    >>> Time to switch to KOffice.

    >> KOffice has poor ODF support, so what document format will you use?

    > http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=KOffice_and_ODF
    >
    > They're working on it.

    If it comes down to a choice between KOffice's native format, or
    poisoning my systems with Mono for the sake of ODF compatibility,
    then I'm afraid OOo is getting flushed down the pan.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
    | longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
    | ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083
    `----

    00:59:52 up 30 days, 22:12, 5 users, load average: 1.24, 1.16, 1.20

  17. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

  18. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 01:00:25 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > If it comes down to a choice between KOffice's native format, or
    > poisoning my systems with Mono for the sake of ODF compatibility,
    > then I'm afraid OOo is getting flushed down the pan.

    Don't you think that is a little extreme?

  19. Re: [News] Novell and Microsoft Are Poisoning OpenOffice.org

+ Reply to Thread