Free media and free software help keep you free to run your life

,----[ Quote ]

To: *W3C

,----[ Quote ]
| This letter is the result of Nokia and Apple recent activity in order
| to change the default audio/video codecs from Ogg/Theora+Vorbis [1],[2]
| to H.264/AAC [3],[4] in the future HTML5 standard.

Nokia to W3C: Ogg is proprietary, we need DRM on the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| But remember, that's not what Nokia is objecting to: they are arguing that
| Ogg is proprietary (it isn't) and that DRM should be part of a Web standard
| (it shouldn't). *

Nokia to put Microsoft PlayReady onto S60 & S40 cellphone platforms

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia is to support Microsoft's PlayReady content access technology into the
| Nokia S60 and Series 40 mobile device platforms, starting in 2008.

Mozilla, Opera look to make video on the Web easier

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox and Opera will support a new HTML tag specifically for embedding
| video in Web pages. As long as the browsers support a video's specific codec,
| or encoding method, the browsers will then be able to play the video without
| launching third-party enabling software, said Chris Double, a Mozilla
| engineer. Mozilla and Opera are also working to support the royalty-free
| video codec Ogg Theora. * *

Does your browser do video?