Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC - Linux ; Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system runs CERN's LHC! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

  1. Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    runs CERN's LHC!

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml

  2. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Borked Pseudo Mailed writes:

    > Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    > runs CERN's LHC!
    >

    > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml

    I can see Roy cracking the whip across Liarmutt's arse as we speak,
    "Find proof it was a Windows system hacked my winged beauty. Now fly,
    fly I say. Bwahahahahaha".

  3. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:

    > Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    > runs CERN's LHC!

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml

    Nothing about hacking Linux, but...

    "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom smasher
    in America) had their access details compromised," said one of the
    scientists working on the machine. "What happened wasn't a big deal, just
    goes to show people are out there always on the prowl."

    It doesn't matter how good your security is, if someone gets your login,
    they can login. It's one of those "Duh" things.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Did WINDUMMIES cause hackers to break CERN's LHC?

    Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Borked Pseudo Mailed
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

    > Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    > runs CERN's LHC!
    >

    > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...rth/2008/09/12

    scicern212.xml

    Its hardly hacking when a US researcher has his system compromised
    offering up passwords to his account at the LHC!

    I wonder what the dumb fsck in the US was running?!

    Don't tell me it was a compromised WINDUMMY PC! Oh no!

    Lets ban all researchers with WINDUMMY PCs!!!!

  5. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    RonB writes:

    > Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    >
    >> Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    >> runs CERN's LHC!
    >>

    > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml
    >
    > Nothing about hacking Linux, but...
    >
    > "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom smasher
    > in America) had their access details compromised," said one of the
    > scientists working on the machine. "What happened wasn't a big deal, just
    > goes to show people are out there always on the prowl."
    >
    > It doesn't matter how good your security is, if someone gets your login,
    > they can login. It's one of those "Duh" things.

    Nonsense of course. Any well administered Linux system would limit
    logins to various hosts and/or subnets. Or should.

    --
    "I am not worthy to wipe your pee-pee "
    -- Liarnut in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  6. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Em Sábado, 13 de Setembro de 2008 21:24, Borked Pseudo Mailed escreveu:

    > Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    > runs CERN's LHC!

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml

    Any machine that "serves" (server) can be hacked...

    you got anything new to tell us?

  7. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:43:12 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Borked Pseudo Mailed writes:
    >
    >> Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system runs CERN's
    >> LHC!
    >>

    >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...th/2008/09/12/

    scicern212.xml

    > I can see Roy cracking the whip across Liarmutt's arse as we speak,
    > "Find proof it was a Windows system hacked my winged beauty. Now fly,
    > fly I say. Bwahahahahaha".

    Poor LiarMutt...
    He is just so pathetic with his tongue up Roy's ass all the time.

    I'll bet Roy's ICQ channel is buzzing today with discussion on how they
    are going to deal with this and spin it their way.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:43:12 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Borked Pseudo Mailed writes:
    >>
    >>> Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system runs CERN's
    >>> LHC!
    >>>

    >>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...th/2008/09/12/

    > scicern212.xml
    >>>

    >> I can see Roy cracking the whip across Liarmutt's arse as we speak,
    >> "Find proof it was a Windows system hacked my winged beauty. Now fly,
    >> fly I say. Bwahahahahaha".

    > Poor LiarMutt...
    > He is just so pathetic with his tongue up Roy's ass all the time.
    >
    > I'll bet Roy's ICQ channel is buzzing today with discussion on how they
    > are going to deal with this and spin it their way.

    Are the people using it aware of all the virii and trojans on his site?
    Or has he finally fixed all that?

    --
    "I am not worthy to wipe your pee-pee "
    -- Liarnut in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  9. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 00:00:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >> scicern212.xml
    >>>>

    >>> I can see Roy cracking the whip across Liarmutt's arse as we speak,
    >>> "Find proof it was a Windows system hacked my winged beauty. Now fly,
    >>> fly I say. Bwahahahahaha".

    >> Poor LiarMutt...
    >> He is just so pathetic with his tongue up Roy's ass all the time.
    >>
    >> I'll bet Roy's ICQ channel is buzzing today with discussion on how they
    >> are going to deal with this and spin it their way.

    > Are the people using it aware of all the virii and trojans on his site?
    > Or has he finally fixed all that?

    Can't say but I stay clear of anything he goes near because even if he
    isn't doing it on purpose, he is so incompetent as an administrator,
    anything is possible.

    Homer got banned from the channel and he still hasn't figured out how to
    get him back on!
    Now that's funny!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    * Borked Pseudo Mailed peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    > runs CERN's LHC!
    >
    > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml

    "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom
    smasher in America) had their access details compromised," said one of the
    scientists working on the machine.

    Read the whole article.

    --
    Anyone can become angry -- that is easy; but to be angry with the right
    person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose

  11. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    On 2008-09-14, Linonut wrote:
    > * Borked Pseudo Mailed peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    >> runs CERN's LHC!
    >>
    >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml

    > "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom
    > smasher in America) had their access details compromised," said one of the
    > scientists working on the machine.
    >
    > Read the whole article.

    Although it is tempting to stop reading at the top of the page when the
    term 'Hackers' is used instead of 'Crackers'.

    Andrew

    --
    Do you think that's air your breathing now?

  12. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Borked Pseudo Mailed writes:

    >Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    >runs CERN's LHC!

    Interesting that the article says nothing about Linux, and that you are
    reporting on a article that you never read.

    The attack is believed to have come from a user who let his password out.
    Now what that has to do with Linux I do not know.

    >http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml

  13. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Hadron writes:

    >RonB writes:

    >> Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    >>> runs CERN's LHC!
    >>>

    >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml
    >>
    >> Nothing about hacking Linux, but...
    >>
    >> "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom smasher
    >> in America) had their access details compromised," said one of the
    >> scientists working on the machine. "What happened wasn't a big deal, just
    >> goes to show people are out there always on the prowl."
    >>
    >> It doesn't matter how good your security is, if someone gets your login,
    >> they can login. It's one of those "Duh" things.

    >Nonsense of course. Any well administered Linux system would limit
    >logins to various hosts and/or subnets. Or should.

    Yes. And the "hackers" only got onto a very limited subset of the machines.

    >--
    >"I am not worthy to wipe your pee-pee "
    > -- Liarnut in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  14. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:
    > * Borked Pseudo Mailed peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > > Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    > > runs CERN's LHC!
    > >
    > > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai.../12/scicern212
    > > .xml

    > "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom
    > smasher in America) had their access details compromised," said one of the
    > scientists working on the machine.
    >
    > Read the whole article.

    So? By COLA standards, that's still a failure of the OS. Did you miss
    all those posts blaming Windows back end systems for credit card
    information theft, when the attackers got their information by sniffing
    unencrypted wireless networks used to link sales terminals in retail
    establishments to sales data and access information?

    You can't have it both ways--either the OS is blameless in both cases,
    or responsible in both.

    The fact is that if you want a to build a secure system, you can built
    it on top of Linux, or Windows, or Mac OS, or even DOS, if the people
    designing it know what they are doing. And if they do not, all bets are
    off.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  15. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * Borked Pseudo Mailed peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    >>> runs CERN's LHC!
    >>>
    >>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai.../12/scicern212
    >>> .xml

    >> "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom
    >> smasher in America) had their access details compromised," said one of the
    >> scientists working on the machine.
    >>
    >> Read the whole article.

    > So? By COLA standards, that's still a failure of the OS.

    What has any of this to do wih Linux? Linux was never mentioned.

    Its probably SUNOS there anyway..

    > Did you miss
    > all those posts blaming Windows back end systems for credit card
    > information theft, when the attackers got their information by sniffing
    > unencrypted wireless networks used to link sales terminals in retail
    > establishments to sales data and access information?
    >
    > You can't have it both ways--either the OS is blameless in both cases,
    > or responsible in both.
    >
    > The fact is that if you want a to build a secure system, you can built
    > it on top of Linux, or Windows, or Mac OS, or even DOS, if the people
    > designing it know what they are doing. And if they do not, all bets are
    > off.

    I can build a secure house ontop of a quicksand too,but it wont stay up
    very long...

  16. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article ,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * Borked Pseudo Mailed peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >> > Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    >> > runs CERN's LHC!
    >> >
    >> > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai.../12/scicern212
    >> > .xml

    >> "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom
    >> smasher in America) had their access details compromised," said one of the
    >> scientists working on the machine.
    >>
    >> Read the whole article.

    > So? By COLA standards, that's still a failure of the OS. Did you miss
    > all those posts blaming Windows back end systems for credit card
    > information theft, when the attackers got their information by sniffing
    > unencrypted wireless networks used to link sales terminals in retail
    > establishments to sales data and access information?
    >
    > You can't have it both ways--either the OS is blameless in both cases,
    > or responsible in both.
    >
    > The fact is that if you want a to build a secure system, you can built
    > it on top of Linux, or Windows, or Mac OS, or even DOS, if the people
    > designing it know what they are doing. And if they do not, all bets are
    > off.

    of course.

    But Liarmutt will never agree. Roy has his hand up Liarmutt's arse and
    flexes his fingers to make him talk. It's almost embarrassing for all
    concerned to listen to Liarmutt these days.

    --
    - "Actually XP *is* getting press, but most of it is along the lines of
    "we're going to wait and see", in other words not very good."

  17. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    The Natural Philosopher writes:

    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> * Borked Pseudo Mailed peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom
    >>> smasher in America) had their access details compromised," said one of the
    >>> scientists working on the machine.
    >>>
    >>> Read the whole article.

    >> So? By COLA standards, that's still a failure of the OS.

    > What has any of this to do wih Linux? Linux was never mentioned.

    You missed the COLA "advocates" harping on about how it was ALL Linux?
    And how Scientists only used other scientists work? etc etc. The usual
    nonsense from these snivelling fan boyz.

  18. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 03:30:01 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Borked Pseudo Mailed writes:
    >
    >>Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    >>runs CERN's LHC!

    > Interesting that the article says nothing about Linux, and that you are
    > reporting on a article that you never read.
    >
    > The attack is believed to have come from a user who let his password out.
    > Now what that has to do with Linux I do not know.

    YHBT.

    --
    Did you know?
    Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.

  19. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    > In article ,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * Borked Pseudo Mailed peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >> > Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    >> > runs CERN's LHC!
    >> >
    >> > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai.../12/scicern212
    >> > .xml

    >> "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom
    >> smasher in America) had their access details compromised," said one of the
    >> scientists working on the machine.
    >>
    >> Read the whole article.

    > So? By COLA standards, that's still a failure of the OS. Did you miss
    > all those posts blaming Windows back end systems for credit card
    > information theft, when the attackers got their information by sniffing
    > unencrypted wireless networks used to link sales terminals in retail
    > establishments to sales data and access information?
    >
    > You can't have it both ways--either the OS is blameless in both cases,
    > or responsible in both.

    The reason I said to read the whole article is because it is an
    interesting description of the whole environment.

    > The fact is that if you want a to build a secure system, you can built
    > it on top of Linux, or Windows, or Mac OS, or even DOS, if the people
    > designing it know what they are doing. And if they do not, all bets are
    > off.

    Not quite. I'd recommend /not/ using Windows clients to access the
    system.

    --
    Toes, knees, NIPPLES. Toes, knees, nipples, KNUCKLES ...
    Nipples, dimples, knuckles, NICKLES, wrinkles, pimples!!

  20. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    * Unruh peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Hadron writes:
    >
    >>Nonsense of course. Any well administered Linux system would limit
    >>logins to various hosts and/or subnets. Or should.

    What a bonehead.

    > Yes. And the "hackers" only got onto a very limited subset of the machines.

    >>--
    >>"I am not worthy to wipe your pee-pee "
    >> -- Liarnut in comp.os.linux.advocacy

    More hi kwality commentary from Hadrone.

    --
    Renning's Maxim:
    Man is the highest animal. Man does the classifying.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast