Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC - Linux ; RonB wrote: > Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote: > >> Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system >> runs CERN's LHC! > >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml >> > > Nothing about hacking Linux, but... > > "We think that someone from ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

  1. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    RonB wrote:
    > Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    >
    >> Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    >> runs CERN's LHC!

    >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml
    >>

    > Nothing about hacking Linux, but...
    >
    > "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing
    > atom smasher in America) had their access details
    > compromised," said one of the scientists working on the
    > machine. "What happened wasn't a big deal, just goes to show
    > people are out there always on the prowl."
    >
    > It doesn't matter how good your security is, if someone gets
    > your login, they can login. It's one of those "Duh" things.

    True. It also states,
    A few years ago, Stanford
    University in California announced that a number of
    high-performance academic computer centres had been attacked by
    hackers lured by the phenomenal power of the grid - pools of
    computing power linked by dedicated high-speed networks. Beyond
    shutting down the machines or stealing or deleting data, one
    likely malicious use of such power is to crack passwords.
    Implication is that since the lab uses Unix/Linux, all computers
    in the infrastructure are Unix/Linux, which is not necessarily
    true. Because of security compromises, fewer are posting what
    their infrastructures consist of.

    There is no mention of the web server OS, which hacked page got
    displayed.

    Thieves will always attempt to compromise security, no matter the
    OS. The weakest link are people.

    --
    HPT

  2. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Borked Pseudo Mailed escreveu:
    >
    >> Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    >> runs CERN's LHC!
    >>
    >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml

    > Any machine that "serves" (server) can be hacked...
    >
    > you got anything new to tell us?

    It's just one of the Windows Trolls haunting c.o.l.advocacy,
    attempting to spread FUD about Linux. Nothing to see, move along

    HPT

  3. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> Read the whole article.

    >> So? By COLA standards, that's still a failure of the OS.

    > What has any of this to do wih Linux? Linux was never
    > mentioned.
    >
    > Its probably SUNOS there anyway..

    >> You can't have it both ways--either the OS is blameless in
    >> both cases, or responsible in both.
    >>
    >> The fact is that if you want a to build a secure system, you
    >> can built it on top of Linux, or Windows, or Mac OS, or even
    >> DOS, if the people designing it know what they are doing.
    >> And if they do not, all bets are off.

    > I can build a secure house ontop of a quicksand too,but it
    > wont stay up very long...

    Ah, there lies the problem, Tim is following Erik Funkenbusch's
    erroneous philosophy of binary conditions toward truth about
    security.

    Linux is inherently more secure than Microsoft Windows, provided
    proper security discipline is exercised. Here is an article
    regarding even Timmy's beloved Mac OS being felled:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...left_standing/

    Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista in Pwn2Own
    hacking contest

    Contestant overcomes bout of 'hacktile dysfunction'
    By Dan Goodin in Vancouver
    Posted in Operating Systems, 29th March 2008 21:27 GMT

    CanSecWest A laptop running a fully patched version of
    Microsoft's Vista operating system was the second and final
    machine to fall in a hacking contest that pitted the security of
    Windows, OS X and Ubuntu Linux. With both a Windows and Mac
    machine felled, only the Linux box remained standing following
    the three-day competition.
    --
    HPT

  4. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Thieves will always attempt to compromise security, no matter the OS.
    > The weakest link are people.

    We agree. A pity many other "advocates" do not.

    --
    "Ignore the forging nym-shifting troll who pretends to be chrisv! I'm the *REAL* chrisv!"
    chrisv, COLA.

  5. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    * High Plains Thumper peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > ArameFarpado wrote:
    >> Borked Pseudo Mailed escreveu:
    >>
    >>> Linux gets hacked, which is unfortunate, when that system
    >>> runs CERN's LHC!
    >>>
    >>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml

    >> Any machine that "serves" (server) can be hacked...
    >>
    >> you got anything new to tell us?

    > It's just one of the Windows Trolls haunting c.o.l.advocacy,
    > attempting to spread FUD about Linux. Nothing to see, move along

    Haunting and taunting.

    --
    Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.

  6. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Linonut writes:

    > * Unruh peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Hadron writes:
    >>
    >>>Nonsense of course. Any well administered Linux system would limit
    >>>logins to various hosts and/or subnets. Or should.

    > What a bonehead.

    So. We can add network admin to the list of many things you know sweet
    FA about. Right next to your recent whoppers of recommending nOObs to
    use the NVidia-installer. Do you not tire of being proven wrong all the
    time? Did you even understand what I said above? I doubt it. You just
    throw out little fibs and hope they will go under peoples radar.

    >> Yes. And the "hackers" only got onto a very limited subset of the machines.

    >>>--
    >>>"I am not worthy to wipe your pee-pee "
    >>> -- Liarnut in comp.os.linux.advocacy

    > More hi kwality commentary from Hadrone.

    You said it pee-pee boy. And only YESTERDAY you were gloating about
    great "sig material". You are a hypocrite. A liar. And a fraud.

  7. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Hadron wrote:

    > But Liarmutt will never agree. Roy has his hand up Liarmutt's arse
    > and flexes his fingers to make him talk. It's almost embarrassing
    > for all concerned to listen to Liarmutt these days.

    LiarMutt is a complete fraud.
    Notice how whenever anyone brings up one of the many other places
    Schestowtiz spreads his paranoia LiarMutt immediately retorts that he
    doesn't go there.
    Sure.
    If he really didn't spend time in those places, like ICQ for example,
    he wouldn't say anything.

    BTW check out this link:

    www.linsux.org

    Search on Roy (leave out the Schestowitz).

    They sure have his number over there!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai.../12/scicern212

    >>> So? By COLA standards, that's still a failure of the OS.

    >> What has any of this to do wih Linux? Linux was never mentioned.

    > You missed the COLA "advocates" harping on about how it was ALL
    > Linux? And how Scientists only used other scientists work? etc etc.
    > The usual nonsense from these snivelling fan boyz.

    It was the perfect set up!
    What great timing!

    See them mobilizing trying to minimize the damage.
    Roy blasting the group immediately with spew in order to get the
    thread off the Google front page for example.

    It's classic...

    Interesting how Schestowitz always seems to miss the really big
    stories about Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please visit www.linsux.org

  9. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> But Liarmutt will never agree. Roy has his hand up Liarmutt's arse
    >> and flexes his fingers to make him talk. It's almost embarrassing
    >> for all concerned to listen to Liarmutt these days.

    > LiarMutt is a complete fraud.
    > Notice how whenever anyone brings up one of the many other places
    > Schestowtiz spreads his paranoia LiarMutt immediately retorts that he
    > doesn't go there.
    > Sure.
    > If he really didn't spend time in those places, like ICQ for example,
    > he wouldn't say anything.
    >
    > BTW check out this link:
    >
    > www.linsux.org
    >
    > Search on Roy (leave out the Schestowitz).
    >
    > They sure have his number over there!

    Most places do. Roy is a burden on real advocacy. He offers nothing back
    to OSS and cultivates loonies like Liarmutt and Willy
    Poaster. Fortunately the chance of them breeding is nil.

    http://linsux.org/index.php?PHPSESSI...08&topic=139.0

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/6nkvgy

    "It's common fact that most Linux Youths are social shut-ins who have
    about as much hope of getting laid as a monkey with rabies.
    Here at Linsux.org, we've done a bunch of case studies on this subject,
    we've determined that not even this would **** them"

    Ouch!

    --
    "You're a condescending, arrogant asshole, Quack."
    -- Tattoo Vampire in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, comp.os.linux.advocacy

  10. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Hadron wrote:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> * Unruh peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> What a bonehead.

    > So. We can add network admin to the list of many things you know
    > sweet FA about. Right next to your recent whoppers of recommending
    > nOObs to use the NVidia-installer. Do you not tire of being proven
    > wrong all the time? Did you even understand what I said above? I
    > doubt it. You just throw out little fibs and hope they will go under
    > peoples radar.

    I think LiarMutt is suffering from "Battered Doggy Syndrome"...
    He loves his *master* Roy Schestowitz so badly he will even make an
    ass of himself to please Roy.

    >>> Yes. And the "hackers" only got onto a very limited subset of the
    >>> machines.

    >> More hi kwality commentary from Hadrone.

    > You said it pee-pee boy. And only YESTERDAY you were gloating about
    > great "sig material". You are a hypocrite. A liar. And a fraud.

    Once again LiarMutt is caught in the web of his own deceit!

    What a maroooooooooon!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please visit www.linsux.org

  11. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Thieves will always attempt to compromise security, no matter the
    > OS. The weakest link are people.

    Always the case.....
    Even with automobile theft.
    They look for open cars, keys left in the car etc...

    I'm the first person to acknowledge that Linux is a very secure system
    however it is not perfect and nothing is going to prevent people from
    doing stupid things.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please visit www.linsux.org

  12. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>

    >>> But Liarmutt will never agree. Roy has his hand up Liarmutt's arse
    >>> and flexes his fingers to make him talk. It's almost embarrassing
    >>> for all concerned to listen to Liarmutt these days.

    >> LiarMutt is a complete fraud.
    >> Notice how whenever anyone brings up one of the many other places
    >> Schestowtiz spreads his paranoia LiarMutt immediately retorts that
    >> he doesn't go there.
    >> Sure.
    >> If he really didn't spend time in those places, like ICQ for
    >> example, he wouldn't say anything.
    >>
    >> BTW check out this link:
    >>
    >> www.linsux.org
    >>
    >> Search on Roy (leave out the Schestowitz).
    >>
    >> They sure have his number over there!

    > Most places do. Roy is a burden on real advocacy. He offers nothing
    > back to OSS and cultivates loonies like Liarmutt and Willy
    > Poaster. Fortunately the chance of them breeding is nil.

    http://linsux.org/index.php?PHPSESSI...08&topic=139.0

    > or
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6nkvgy
    >
    > "It's common fact that most Linux Youths are social shut-ins who
    > have about as much hope of getting laid as a monkey with rabies.
    > Here at Linsux.org, we've done a bunch of case studies on this
    > subject, we've determined that not even this would **** them"
    >
    > Ouch!

    Here is the COLA Linux Nerds only hope.....

    http://www.break.com/index/caught_ba...w_up_doll.html

    Looks a little like Marti??

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please visit www.linsux.org

  13. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> LiarMutt is a complete fraud.
    >>> Notice how whenever anyone brings up one of the many other places
    >>> Schestowtiz spreads his paranoia LiarMutt immediately retorts that
    >>> he doesn't go there.
    >>> Sure.
    >>> If he really didn't spend time in those places, like ICQ for
    >>> example, he wouldn't say anything.
    >>>
    >>> BTW check out this link:
    >>>
    >>> www.linsux.org
    >>>
    >>> Search on Roy (leave out the Schestowitz).
    >>>
    >>> They sure have his number over there!

    >> Most places do. Roy is a burden on real advocacy. He offers nothing
    >> back to OSS and cultivates loonies like Liarmutt and Willy
    >> Poaster. Fortunately the chance of them breeding is nil.
    >>

    > http://linsux.org/index.php?PHPSESSI...08&topic=139.0
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6nkvgy
    >>
    >> "It's common fact that most Linux Youths are social shut-ins who
    >> have about as much hope of getting laid as a monkey with rabies.
    >> Here at Linsux.org, we've done a bunch of case studies on this
    >> subject, we've determined that not even this would **** them"
    >>
    >> Ouch!
    >>

    > Here is the COLA Linux Nerds only hope.....
    >
    > http://www.break.com/index/caught_ba...w_up_doll.html
    >
    > Looks a little like Marti??

    On all fours. More likely to be Liarmutt.

    *woof*

  14. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Most places do. Roy is a burden on real advocacy. He offers
    >>> nothing back to OSS and cultivates loonies like Liarmutt and Willy
    >>> Poaster. Fortunately the chance of them breeding is nil.

    http://linsux.org/index.php?PHPSESSI...08&topic=139.0

    >>> or
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/6nkvgy
    >>>
    >>> "It's common fact that most Linux Youths are social shut-ins who
    >>> have about as much hope of getting laid as a monkey with rabies.
    >>> Here at Linsux.org, we've done a bunch of case studies on this
    >>> subject, we've determined that not even this would **** them"
    >>>
    >>> Ouch!
    >>>

    >> Here is the COLA Linux Nerds only hope.....
    >>
    >> http://www.break.com/index/caught_ba...w_up_doll.html
    >>
    >> Looks a little like Marti??

    > On all fours. More likely to be Liarmutt.
    >
    > *woof*

    Hahahhaha!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please visit www.linsux.org

  15. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Hadron wrote:

    > your recent whoppers of recommending nOObs to
    > use the NVidia-installer.

    I missed the discussion. What's wrong with noobs doing that?

  16. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Matt writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> your recent whoppers of recommending nOObs to
    >> use the NVidia-installer.

    > I missed the discussion. What's wrong with noobs doing that?

    Google is that way ->

    Seriously. Its all there. Read the thread. Look in comp.os.linux.debian
    where I politely mentioned it but was also ignored by Liarmutt.

    But to help, some reading:

    (ps I USED to use the nvidia installer and it hosed my machine after a
    certain kernel upgrade)

    http://desiato.tinyplanet.ca/~lsoren...-dri-howto.txt
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...imple-way.html

    See the first reply here:

    http://linuxinside.blogspot.com/2008...a-drivers.html

    As someone caught by the nvidia installer I can heartily recommend
    staying clear from them. Maybe they are better soon. Now, no.

    --
    "I would assume her children might like to know where their mother is and
    have a place to *visit* her."

  17. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    In article ,
    Hadron wrote:

    > > I missed the discussion. What's wrong with noobs doing that?

    > Google is that way ->
    >
    > Seriously. Its all there. Read the thread. Look in comp.os.linux.debian
    > where I politely mentioned it but was also ignored by Liarmutt.

    Google doesn't carry comp.os.linux.debian.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  18. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article ,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I missed the discussion. What's wrong with noobs doing that?

    >> Google is that way ->
    >>
    >> Seriously. Its all there. Read the thread. Look in comp.os.linux.debian
    >> where I politely mentioned it but was also ignored by Liarmutt.

    > Google doesn't carry comp.os.linux.debian.

    alt.os.linux.debian

    Sorry.

    ,----
    | From: Hadron
    | Subject: Re: Moving to Lenny a little early - how it went.
    | Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.debian
    | Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:01:01 +0200
    |
    | Linonut writes:
    |
    | > * sk8r-365 peremptorily fired off this memo:
    | >
    | >> Linonut mumbled:

    | >> Then, as root, 'usermod -a -G '. Added them to
    | >> group 'video'. But others may prefer to use 'gksu users-admin', then
    | >> place a tick in box for "...and use 3D acceleration".
    | >
    | > Hmmm, already in the 'video' group on both systems. I wonder if the
    | > Nvidia installer did that.
    |
    | Using the nvidia installer is really not recommended. the debian
    | developers promise zero assistance if you go the nvidia way. I had
    | issues myself that took ages to track down before I could then go the
    | official route and use nvidia-glx.

    `----

  19. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> * Unruh peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> What a bonehead.

    > So. We can add network admin to the list of many things you know sweet
    > FA about. Right next to your recent whoppers of recommending nOObs to
    > use the NVidia-installer. Do you not tire of being proven wrong all the
    > time? Did you even understand what I said above? I doubt it. You just
    > throw out little fibs and hope they will go under peoples radar.
    >
    >>> Yes. And the "hackers" only got onto a very limited subset of the machines.

    >> More hi kwality commentary from Hadrone.

    > You said it pee-pee boy. And only YESTERDAY you were gloating about
    > great "sig material". You are a hypocrite. A liar. And a fraud.

    He hate me!

    *LOL*

    --
    Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
    -- ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93

  20. Re: Linux FAILS as hackers break CERN's LHC

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:09:26 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>
    >>> * Unruh peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> What a bonehead.

    >> So. We can add network admin to the list of many things you know sweet
    >> FA about. Right next to your recent whoppers of recommending nOObs to
    >> use the NVidia-installer. Do you not tire of being proven wrong all the
    >> time? Did you even understand what I said above? I doubt it. You just
    >> throw out little fibs and hope they will go under peoples radar.

    >>> More hi kwality commentary from Hadrone.

    >> You said it pee-pee boy. And only YESTERDAY you were gloating about
    >> great "sig material". You are a hypocrite. A liar. And a fraud.

    > He hate me!
    >
    > *LOL*

    He may.
    However, you *did* say what he claims you said.....