Which libraries to grab from webcams? - Linux

This is a discussion on Which libraries to grab from webcams? - Linux ; Hello, I study computer vision and I'm looking for any linux-friendly libraries to grab from webcams (2 simultaneously). Until now I directly used the driver (uvcvideo), working yuyv images. I tried java and JMF, but only V4L1 is supported yet ...

  1. Which libraries to grab from webcams?

    Hello,
    I study computer vision and I'm looking for any linux-friendly
    libraries to grab from webcams (2 simultaneously). Until now I
    directly used the driver (uvcvideo), working yuyv images. I tried java
    and JMF, but only V4L1 is supported yet (while uvc is only V4L2). I
    tried opencv, but it's not possible to change the resolution (and it
    gives me "corrupted jpeg frames") and cvcam module is only for win.
    Is there any other library providing an easy abstraction layer for
    webcams?
    Thanks

    --
    Eugenio
    http://binaryunit.blogspot.com

  2. Re: Which libraries to grab from webcams?

    > I study computer vision and I'm looking for any linux-friendly
    > libraries to grab from webcams (2 simultaneously). Until now I
    > directly used the driver (uvcvideo), working yuyv images. I tried java
    > and JMF, but only V4L1 is supported yet (while uvc is only V4L2). I
    > tried opencv, but it's not possible to change the resolution (and it
    > gives me "corrupted jpeg frames") and cvcam module is only for win.
    > Is there any other library providing an easy abstraction layer for
    > webcams?

    What's wrong with the V4L1/2 API?

    Greetings Johannes

  3. Re: Which libraries to grab from webcams?

    Johannes Dohmen wrote:

    >> I study computer vision and I'm looking for any linux-friendly
    >> libraries to grab from webcams (2 simultaneously). Until now I
    >> directly used the driver (uvcvideo), working yuyv images. I tried java
    >> and JMF, but only V4L1 is supported yet (while uvc is only V4L2). I
    >> tried opencv, but it's not possible to change the resolution (and it
    >> gives me "corrupted jpeg frames") and cvcam module is only for win.
    >> Is there any other library providing an easy abstraction layer for
    >> webcams?

    > What's wrong with the V4L1/2 API?
    >
    > Greetings Johannes

    Seeing the uvcvideo source I noticed it uses the V4L APIs, and the usage
    examples of uvcvideo (like in luvcview app.) all use the uvcvideo API, not
    the V4L one. So, though V4L is supposed to provide an abstracion layer
    (isn't it?), it seems that with my webcams I have to use uvcvideo
    directly...

    However, maybe I'm wrong: I'll try with V4L API asap, thanks.

    --
    Eugenio
    http://binaryunit.blogspot.com

  4. Re: Which libraries to grab from webcams?

    Eugenio,
    have you tried v4l4j ? (http://v4l4j.googlecode.com)
    I came across it a couple of weeks ago, and it works fine for me.

    Ben

+ Reply to Thread