Linux device links TVs to Internet videos

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony used Linux to build an IP set-top box (STB) that connects to its Bravia
| HDTVs, enabling them to display a regularly updated selection of Internet
| videos. Sony's DMX-NV1 Bravia Internet Video Link is equipped with Ethernet,
| HDMI, and proprietary USB-based DMeX connections.
| [...]
| The link to Sony's GNU Linux source code may be found here.

Embedded Linux has more friends than you may know

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony recently announced that one of its BRAVIA LCD TV factories will double
| production from 2 million TV sets per year to 4 million to meet growing
| demand in Europe. Sony has sold more than 20 million of these TVs, and
| they're all built with embedded Linux.
| So what? Embedded Linux is no surprise. Sony and tens of thousands of other
| companies, from huge to tiny, use embedded Linux every day to deliver
| successful products in every market. That is not news.
| Ten years ago, though, embedded Linux was a surprising-even shocking-idea to
| most people. Back in 1998, fresh from victory in the RTOS industry, I
| introduced the idea of building a software company to make Linux a suitable
| OS for developing smart devices. When I told people the idea, they gawked as
| if I was a few lines short of compilable code.
| "You want to build a company on software that's available for free?" I was
| asked. "Based on the gigantically bloated Unix OS? And with some oddball GPL
| license? How fast do you expect people to kick you out of their office?"
| Every market survey showed that the demand for embedded Linux was zero. When
| we released our first product, industry experts agreed that nobody needed it.
| Embedded Linux won't work because it is "too big, too slow, and not
| real-time," said the head of one RTOS company. The president of another
| derided embedded Linux as "a royal pain in the ass," so no developer would
| ever use it.
| I took heart from a quote attributed to Mohandas Gandhi: "First they ignore
| you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."
| [...]
| Analyst firms don't agree on how many device engineers use embedded Linux,
| but they all say the number is substantial: 21% of developers use embedded
| Linux, according to last year's Embedded Systems Design survey; 36.7%,
| according to current research by Embedded Market Forecasters. This April, VDC
| reported that Linux is now the leading embedded OS. It shouldn't be
| surprising. After all, commercial Linux vendors succeed because they
| understand what design engineers are looking for.

Satellite STB runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| LyngBox Media is shipping a Linux-powered set-top box (STB) designed for
| European satellite TV enthusiasts. The IP-ready LyngBox combines an HDTV
| receiver/recorder, dual DVB-S2/DVB-T tuners, and a 160GB hard drive, and
| offers daily updates to LyngSat Network's worldwide satellite programming
| guide, says the Swedish company.

Netflix Player runs Linux

| Movie distributor Netflix is offering a $100 set-top box aimed at enabling
| subscribers to stream movies on demand, using a broadband Internet
| connection. The player runs an embedded Linux OS and is supplied by Roku, a
| California-based company known for its Linux-based PVRs (personal video
| recorders).

$100 Netflix DVD downloader runs Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Netflix and Roku today jointly announced a tiny set-top box (STB) said to
| offer unlimited streaming of DVDs and TV episodes on Netflix members’ TVs.

Seatback STB runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Embedded computer manufacturer and Eurotech Group subsidiary Applied Data
| Systems (ADS) announced an embedded IP set-top box (STB) intended for
| seatback applications and digital signage. The Linux-based NetCast Player HD
| supports high definition live video up to 1080p resolution, says the company. ¬*

Linux-based media stack for TI's DaVinci launched

,----[ Quote ]
| A developer of Linux-based, IP-media applications formally launched its
| software for Texas Instruments's DaVinci media processor platform. DigiLink
| Software says its Digital Media Elements (DME) IP-media stack for set-top
| boxes (STBs) lets television viewers watch and record Internet TV (ITV),
| including Flash-based content like YouTube. ¬* ¬*

Are you all set for HDTV? Mysteries of set-top boxes

,----[ Quote ]
| As I noted here a couple of weeks ago, current top-of-the-line offerings from
| cable and satellite providers are really computers, with an operating system
| (usually Linux), built-in programming, plus hard drives and memory and
| networking. ¬*

Linux is de facto OS for TV set-top boxes

,----[ Quote ]
| "The major chipset manufacturers are introducing new Linux platforms
| almost monthly," said Ken Helps, managing director of Ocean Blue Software.
| The attraction is that the Linux operating system will support
| advanced functions without requiring a license fee.

Linux STB used in award-winning eldercare product

,----[ Quote ]
| Dutch telecom operator and Internet service provider KPN has
| bestowed an award for innovation on DataBalk's ZorgTV
| ("CareTV" in English) product. The product is based on
| Amino's Linux-based Aminet110 set-top box (pictured at
| left), and aims to help elderly people "stay independent"
| longer, according to DataBalk.

IP-STB runs Linux, supports USB-based descrambler

,----[ Quote ]
| The AccessKey Home IP-STB is optionally available with an "AccessKey
| USB" storage device, that appears to resemble a USB-based cable card.
| It may also include a bootable Linux-based OS.

The Google Set-Top Box (Think Android For TV)

,----[ Quote ]
| Google may very well want to do to the set-top box what it is trying to do to
| the mobile phone with its Android operating system‚ÄĒcreate an open-source
| hardware platform and attract developers to build applications on top of it.
| At least that is the unconfirmed rumor I’ve heard from two knowledgeable
| industry sources. ¬* ¬*

Now that your TV is a computer

,----[ Quote ]
| It is also a computer that runs Linux, the free open-source operating system.
| I know because it crashed once, and I got a command prompt. (Plus, the Dish
| people have Linux programming code posted on their Web site, as they're
| supposed to under the open-source license.) Since it is a computer, it can be
| upgraded. And it's been getting upgraded like crazy. ¬* ¬*

European Operators Select Motorola's Linux-Based IP Set-Tops For IPTV

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola announced that it has been selected by two leading
| telecommunications providers to supply its Linux-based VIP range of
| IP set-tops for IPTV services.

Electronics firms plan Internet televisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The new televisions will use Linux operating systems instead of
| Microsoft Windows, it added. That feature is aimed at cutting the time
| needed to boot up and reducing the risk of virus infection.

TV Makers to Collaborate on Internet TV Standards

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| The Japanese consumer electronics companies aim to develop
| broadband-enabled televisions that can download and display videos from
| the internet wihtout the need for a separate set-top box or computer.
| They plan to establish a common standard for aspects of internet TV,
| based on a Linux operating system.

PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
| next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
| videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
| Web-based "Office 2.0" applications. ¬*
| IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
| off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
| show organizer. ¬*

Java and Linux based IPTV kit and PVR from Amino showcased

,----[ Quote ]
| The Amino software is based on open standards such as Linux and Java,
| and Javascript and Java APIs are provided so that third party software
| and devices can interface with the set top box functions. Software
| updates can be delivered remotely using a signed software image
| authorised by the IPTV service provider. The multicast software on
| the head-end also runs on Linux.

PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
| time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
| priced at $650.

Microsoft blamed for AT&T TV hiccups

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has a spotty history on the gogglebox. In 1997 it
| spent about $425m to purchase WebTV Networks but failed to
| make the much-hyped phenomenon a success.

AT&T Resumes Rollout for Cable TV

,----[ Quote ]
| But because the software, provided largely by Microsoft Corp., has never
| been deployed on such a large scale, assorted glitches have forced AT&T to
| repeatedly delay and scale back the service rollout even though the
| required network upgrade remains on pace.

Windows Media center crashining at CES 2005

Verizon takes over Microsoft TV code

,----[ Quote ]
| Unhappy over the memory footprint of applications and delays in rolling
| them out, Verizon has ditched some of Microsoft's television software and
| has chosen instead to write its own.

Microsoft shuns IPTV open standards - is a web TV format war brewing?

,----[ Quote ]
| As if consumers didn't have enough to contend with, the fact
| Microsoft and Alcatel-Lucent have shunned the Open IPTV Forum
| could mean we'll have another ludicrous format war on our hands.

SageTV shows love for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Fortunately, one of the big names in DVR software, SageTV, has
| been supporting Linux for some time now (there are also other
| Linux-friendly DVR apps, such as MythTV). Sage is now offering a Linuxe
| dition of SageTV 5, including the add-on Placeshifter app, which we
| looked at when it was released for PCs back in April.

FiOS TV and MSFT: When End-to-End Becomes Best of Breed

,----[ Quote ]
| Quoting: "With the project in danger of running behind schedule, Verizon
| sent its own employees to oversee the work between Microsoft and Motorola.
| Engineers from all three companies had several meetings a day to nudge
| the project along. Eventually, Verizon took over the development of the
| program guide altogether from Microsoft, and ended up writing a new
| version of the software that was less memory-intensive."

MSNTV2 cluster using Linux!

,----[ Quote ]
| These MSNTVs can be networked together to distribute tasks. The great
| thing about them which made it easier for Niacin was the fact that the
| MSNTV2 had normal PC hardware with a proprietary BIOS. Here's a picture
| of the MSNTV being flashed to run Linux.

Vista testers get unexpected holiday gift: No TV

,----[ Quote ]
| Some people testing Microsoft's Windows Vista got an unexpected
| holiday surprise: their TVs stopped working.

Nortel not the only winner at Telus IPTV deal

,----[ Quote ]
| But now it is back as the main contractor in an IPTV deal at Telus - a move
| that sees the Alcatel system thrown out or sidelined, the Microsoft Alcatel
| partnership that is dominating tier one telcos, snubbed, and a number of
| the small fry of the IPTV market getting access to the tasty 5.5m Telus
| customers this system is aimed at.
| [...]
| Faultline gave a heads up about this contract in May, when we heard that
| Microsoft's solution was internally rejected.
| [...]
| "To facilitate the rapid adoption of additional third party applications
| as they emerge, it is imperative that the environment be open and
| standards-based."
| The significance of this contract is that all the big guns from
| Microsoft, Alcatel, Lucent and Siemens were in the bidding and fell by
| the wayside and that Nortel was able to leverage its strength as an
| IP player.
| [...]
| If that results in any new business for Cisco then acquisition of
| Minerva can't be too improbable, and then it would own an end to end
| IPTV system, with or without Microsoft middleware.

Ex-MS security guru to dump Media Center for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Veteran Microsoft security expert, Jesper Johansson, says he may dump
| Microsoft's Windows Media Center in favour of Ubuntu-affiliated LinuxMCE
| after struggling with Redmond's DRM (Digital Rights Management) software. ¬*

Windows Media Center Restricts Cable TV

,----[ Quote ]
| A simple search on the subject reveals that HBO programming and, in
| my case, Braveheart on AMC are among the many selections now
| restricted for playback or recording by Windows Media Center
| Edition. What's next, restricting every piece of programming
| on television?

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkjLeMUACgkQU4xAY3RXLo49kwCgqSZL7mzzty wYBeAxmm458x/B