One more update on Windows to Linux migration - Linux

This is a discussion on One more update on Windows to Linux migration - Linux ; We are migrating our application servers (running our own custom apps) from Windows to Linux. As the light in the tunnel is visible, and we went beyond 1/2 of work, here are some conclusions: 1) We will be replacing roughly ...

  1. One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    We are migrating our application servers (running our own custom apps)
    from Windows to Linux. As the light in the tunnel is visible, and we
    went beyond 1/2 of work, here are some conclusions:

    1) We will be replacing roughly 80 Windows servers with approximately
    15 Linux servers. We will probably use a few more Linux servers that
    would be for redundancy purposes only, and that will not be doing any
    actual work unless something breaks.

    2) Administering these machines is very highly automated and comes at
    zero "incremental cost of ownership" per machine. There are no admins
    walking around from machine to machine and being paid for repetitive
    actions.

    3) Administering those custom applications is also much easier under
    Linux due to much greater automation. No stupid Windows ****, like
    inability to delete a running executable, etc, interferes with system
    administration tasks.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:21:54 -0500, Ignoramus24794 wrote:

    > We are migrating our application servers (running our own custom apps)
    > from Windows to Linux. As the light in the tunnel is visible, and we
    > went beyond 1/2 of work, here are some conclusions:
    >
    > 1) We will be replacing roughly 80 Windows servers with approximately 15
    > Linux servers. We will probably use a few more Linux servers that would
    > be for redundancy purposes only, and that will not be doing any actual
    > work unless something breaks.
    >
    > 2) Administering these machines is very highly automated and comes at
    > zero "incremental cost of ownership" per machine. There are no admins
    > walking around from machine to machine and being paid for repetitive
    > actions.
    >
    > 3) Administering those custom applications is also much easier under
    > Linux due to much greater automation. No stupid Windows ****, like
    > inability to delete a running executable, etc, interferes with system
    > administration tasks.

    FWIW - before I retired a few years ago, I adminned out Linux systems.
    Part time, as a collateral duty - took me on average about four hours per
    month. There was also a full time IT guy who took care of the MS machines
    - and that's all he did - but then he did have about four times as many
    boxes to manage.

  3. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    On 2008-09-13, ray wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:21:54 -0500, Ignoramus24794 wrote:
    >
    >> We are migrating our application servers (running our own custom apps)
    >> from Windows to Linux. As the light in the tunnel is visible, and we
    >> went beyond 1/2 of work, here are some conclusions:
    >>
    >> 1) We will be replacing roughly 80 Windows servers with approximately 15
    >> Linux servers. We will probably use a few more Linux servers that would
    >> be for redundancy purposes only, and that will not be doing any actual
    >> work unless something breaks.
    >>
    >> 2) Administering these machines is very highly automated and comes at
    >> zero "incremental cost of ownership" per machine. There are no admins
    >> walking around from machine to machine and being paid for repetitive
    >> actions.
    >>
    >> 3) Administering those custom applications is also much easier under
    >> Linux due to much greater automation. No stupid Windows ****, like
    >> inability to delete a running executable, etc, interferes with system
    >> administration tasks.

    > FWIW - before I retired a few years ago, I adminned out Linux systems.
    > Part time, as a collateral duty - took me on average about four hours per
    > month. There was also a full time IT guy who took care of the MS machines
    > - and that's all he did - but then he did have about four times as many
    > boxes to manage.

    If I admined 10 times more machines, I would barely be doing any more
    work.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 22:41:00 -0500, Ignoramus24794 wrote:

    > On 2008-09-13, ray wrote:
    >> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:21:54 -0500, Ignoramus24794 wrote:
    >>
    >>> We are migrating our application servers (running our own custom apps)
    >>> from Windows to Linux. As the light in the tunnel is visible, and we
    >>> went beyond 1/2 of work, here are some conclusions:
    >>>
    >>> 1) We will be replacing roughly 80 Windows servers with approximately
    >>> 15 Linux servers. We will probably use a few more Linux servers that
    >>> would be for redundancy purposes only, and that will not be doing any
    >>> actual work unless something breaks.
    >>>
    >>> 2) Administering these machines is very highly automated and comes at
    >>> zero "incremental cost of ownership" per machine. There are no admins
    >>> walking around from machine to machine and being paid for repetitive
    >>> actions.
    >>>
    >>> 3) Administering those custom applications is also much easier under
    >>> Linux due to much greater automation. No stupid Windows ****, like
    >>> inability to delete a running executable, etc, interferes with system
    >>> administration tasks.

    >> FWIW - before I retired a few years ago, I adminned out Linux systems.
    >> Part time, as a collateral duty - took me on average about four hours
    >> per month. There was also a full time IT guy who took care of the MS
    >> machines - and that's all he did - but then he did have about four
    >> times as many boxes to manage.

    > If I admined 10 times more machines, I would barely be doing any more
    > work.

    Gnu/linux is for lazy people......!!!

    sf

  5. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    On 2008-09-13, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 22:41:00 -0500, Ignoramus24794 wrote:

    >>> FWIW - before I retired a few years ago, I adminned out Linux systems.
    >>> Part time, as a collateral duty - took me on average about four hours
    >>> per month. There was also a full time IT guy who took care of the MS
    >>> machines - and that's all he did - but then he did have about four
    >>> times as many boxes to manage.

    >> If I admined 10 times more machines, I would barely be doing any more
    >> work.

    > Gnu/linux is for lazy people......!!!

    That's how I see it as well.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    Ignoramus24794 wrote:
    > On 2008-09-13, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    >>> If I admined 10 times more machines, I would barely be doing any more
    >>> work.

    >> Gnu/linux is for lazy people......!!!
    >>

    > That's how I see it as well.

    No, being serious, and in these days of credit crunches people are, its
    cost effective.

    In London, one sofware facilities management company cites the cost of
    fully supporting a PC windows network and applications at 3000 per
    machine per annum.

    At London admin wages thats a full time person for every 15 or so machines..

    Let alone teh costs due to people fiddling with stiff on a windows
    desktop that they dont need when they might be doing something useful.

    Linux can be setup once to do just the job that the staff actually need
    to do, and every other executable removed, and that config rolled out to
    workstations.

    If the desktop requires no more than a single custom app to run,Linux is
    way the preferred solution: Windows only makes sense if there is some
    third party app that is necessary and not available under Linux.

    I suspect this trend will continue until more and more 3rd party apps do
    get ported to Linux, and that will be the death knell of Windows in the
    corporate marketplace. Where arguably it never should have been in the
    first place.

  7. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    On Sep 13, 7:18*am, jellybean stonerfish
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 22:41:00 -0500, Ignoramus24794 wrote:

    > >> FWIW - before I retired a few years ago, I adminned out Linux systems.
    > >> Part time, as a collateral duty - took me on average about four hours
    > >> per month. There was also a full time IT guy who took care of the MS
    > >> machines - and that's all he did - but then he did have about four
    > >> times as many boxes to manage.

    > > If I admined 10 times more machines, I would barely be doing any more
    > > work.

    > Gnu/linux is for lazy people......!!!

    Yeah, but to alleviate the boredom, Linux administrators often assist
    development teams, or contribute to OSS projects.

    > sf

  8. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    ____/ Rex Ballard on Saturday 13 September 2008 08:52 : \____

    > On Sep 13, 7:18*am, jellybean stonerfish
    > wrote:

    >> > If I admined 10 times more machines, I would barely be doing any more
    >> > work.

    >> Gnu/linux is for lazy people......!!!

    > Yeah, but to alleviate the boredom, Linux administrators often assist
    > development teams, or contribute to OSS projects.

    ....Or administer more machines, in which case they become more valuable and are
    paid a lot more.

    In Google they assign one engineer per 100 servers, IIRC.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
    09:05:01 up 4 days, 3:00, 1 user, load average: 1.16, 0.79, 0.72

  9. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    On 2008-09-12, Ignoramus24794 wrote:
    > We are migrating our application servers (running our own custom apps)
    > from Windows to Linux. As the light in the tunnel is visible, and we
    > went beyond 1/2 of work, here are some conclusions:
    >
    > 1) We will be replacing roughly 80 Windows servers with approximately
    > 15 Linux servers. We will probably use a few more Linux servers that
    > would be for redundancy purposes only, and that will not be doing any
    > actual work unless something breaks.
    >
    > 2) Administering these machines is very highly automated and comes at
    > zero "incremental cost of ownership" per machine. There are no admins
    > walking around from machine to machine and being paid for repetitive
    > actions.
    >
    > 3) Administering those custom applications is also much easier under
    > Linux due to much greater automation. No stupid Windows ****, like
    > inability to delete a running executable, etc, interferes with system
    > administration tasks.

    I wonder how then, the company I work for, manages to manage all of the many
    thousands of windows machines that they own. Many hundreds of which are used
    by telecommuters - such as my self. Windows update is disabled, so they push
    only the updates they want.... Yet they never come to my house. hmmm.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  10. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    Tom Shelton wrote:
    > On 2008-09-12, Ignoramus24794 wrote:
    >> We are migrating our application servers (running our own custom apps)
    >> from Windows to Linux. As the light in the tunnel is visible, and we
    >> went beyond 1/2 of work, here are some conclusions:
    >>
    >> 1) We will be replacing roughly 80 Windows servers with approximately
    >> 15 Linux servers. We will probably use a few more Linux servers that
    >> would be for redundancy purposes only, and that will not be doing any
    >> actual work unless something breaks.
    >>
    >> 2) Administering these machines is very highly automated and comes at
    >> zero "incremental cost of ownership" per machine. There are no admins
    >> walking around from machine to machine and being paid for repetitive
    >> actions.
    >>
    >> 3) Administering those custom applications is also much easier under
    >> Linux due to much greater automation. No stupid Windows ****, like
    >> inability to delete a running executable, etc, interferes with system
    >> administration tasks.

    > I wonder how then, the company I work for, manages to manage all of the many
    > thousands of windows machines that they own. Many hundreds of which are used
    > by telecommuters - such as my self. Windows update is disabled, so they push
    > only the updates they want.... Yet they never come to my house. hmmm.

    He claimed it was harder, not impossible.

  11. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    ray wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:21:54 -0500, Ignoramus24794 wrote:
    >
    >> We are migrating our application servers (running our own custom apps)
    >> from Windows to Linux. As the light in the tunnel is visible, and we
    >> went beyond 1/2 of work, here are some conclusions:
    >>
    >> 1) We will be replacing roughly 80 Windows servers with approximately 15
    >> Linux servers. We will probably use a few more Linux servers that would
    >> be for redundancy purposes only, and that will not be doing any actual
    >> work unless something breaks.
    >>
    >> 2) Administering these machines is very highly automated and comes at
    >> zero "incremental cost of ownership" per machine. There are no admins
    >> walking around from machine to machine and being paid for repetitive
    >> actions.
    >>
    >> 3) Administering those custom applications is also much easier under
    >> Linux due to much greater automation. No stupid Windows ****, like
    >> inability to delete a running executable, etc, interferes with system
    >> administration tasks.

    > FWIW - before I retired a few years ago, I adminned out Linux systems.
    > Part time, as a collateral duty - took me on average about four hours per
    > month. There was also a full time IT guy who took care of the MS machines
    > - and that's all he did - but then he did have about four times as many
    > boxes to manage.

    You say you spent 1 hour per week on administering an X amount of Linux
    boxes. This other guy spent 40 hours per week administering four times that
    number of Windows boxes.

    So if I understand your numbers correctly, administering Windows boxes takes
    at least *ten times* the amount of work Linux boxes take. And I say "at
    least", because you only were a sort of occasional, part-time sysadmin,
    while this other guy had a fulltime job -- which means his work flow should
    be rather more efficient than yours. This sounds pretty staggering. I know
    that Windows sysadmins can't handle by far the amount of machines *nix
    sysadmins handle, but I always understood it was merely (hahaha) a factor
    of three or four, not ten.

    To all those Wintrolls: can you say "TCO"?

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  12. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:21:54 -0500, Ignoramus24794 wrote:
    >>
    >>> We are migrating our application servers (running our own custom apps)
    >>> from Windows to Linux. As the light in the tunnel is visible, and we
    >>> went beyond 1/2 of work, here are some conclusions:
    >>>
    >>> 1) We will be replacing roughly 80 Windows servers with approximately 15
    >>> Linux servers. We will probably use a few more Linux servers that would
    >>> be for redundancy purposes only, and that will not be doing any actual
    >>> work unless something breaks.
    >>>
    >>> 2) Administering these machines is very highly automated and comes at
    >>> zero "incremental cost of ownership" per machine. There are no admins
    >>> walking around from machine to machine and being paid for repetitive
    >>> actions.
    >>>
    >>> 3) Administering those custom applications is also much easier under
    >>> Linux due to much greater automation. No stupid Windows ****, like
    >>> inability to delete a running executable, etc, interferes with system
    >>> administration tasks.

    >> FWIW - before I retired a few years ago, I adminned out Linux systems.
    >> Part time, as a collateral duty - took me on average about four hours per
    >> month. There was also a full time IT guy who took care of the MS machines
    >> - and that's all he did - but then he did have about four times as many
    >> boxes to manage.

    > You say you spent 1 hour per week on administering an X amount of Linux
    > boxes. This other guy spent 40 hours per week administering four times that
    > number of Windows boxes.

    If you believe all this hogwash of course.

    Now lets dig deeper:

    servers : low maintenance.
    desktops : prone to users messing up

    I wonder what OS was where?

    > So if I understand your numbers correctly, administering Windows boxes takes
    > at least *ten times* the amount of work Linux boxes take. And I say
    > "at

    For Ray.

    > least", because you only were a sort of occasional, part-time sysadmin,
    > while this other guy had a fulltime job -- which means his work flow should
    > be rather more efficient than yours. This sounds pretty staggering. I know
    > that Windows sysadmins can't handle by far the amount of machines *nix
    > sysadmins handle, but I always understood it was merely (hahaha) a factor
    > of three or four, not ten.
    >
    > To all those Wintrolls: can you say "TCO"?

    And to you I say "Want to buy a bridge"?

  13. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 04:18:00 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 22:41:00 -0500, Ignoramus24794 wrote:

    >>> FWIW - before I retired a few years ago, I adminned out Linux systems.
    >>> Part time, as a collateral duty - took me on average about four hours
    >>> per month. There was also a full time IT guy who took care of the MS
    >>> machines - and that's all he did - but then he did have about four
    >>> times as many boxes to manage.

    >> If I admined 10 times more machines, I would barely be doing any more
    >> work.

    > Gnu/linux is for lazy people......!!!
    >
    > sf

    Yeah. I'm a mathematician by training. Mathematicians are notoriously
    lazy. We'll spend three days researching a problem so we can save a few
    hours solving it. But then when the same problem recurrs, we've already
    got it beat.

  14. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:35:09 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> FWIW - before I retired a few years ago, I adminned out Linux systems.
    >>> Part time, as a collateral duty - took me on average about four hours
    >>> per month. There was also a full time IT guy who took care of the MS
    >>> machines - and that's all he did - but then he did have about four
    >>> times as many boxes to manage.

    >> You say you spent 1 hour per week on administering an X amount of Linux
    >> boxes. This other guy spent 40 hours per week administering four times
    >> that number of Windows boxes.

    > If you believe all this hogwash of course.
    >
    > Now lets dig deeper:
    >
    > servers : low maintenance.
    > desktops : prone to users messing up
    >
    > I wonder what OS was where?

    Actually, the mix was around 80/20 desktop/server on both OSs.

    >> So if I understand your numbers correctly, administering Windows boxes
    >> takes at least *ten times* the amount of work Linux boxes take. And I
    >> say "at

    > For Ray.
    >
    >> least", because you only were a sort of occasional, part-time sysadmin,
    >> while this other guy had a fulltime job -- which means his work flow
    >> should be rather more efficient than yours. This sounds pretty
    >> staggering. I know that Windows sysadmins can't handle by far the
    >> amount of machines *nix sysadmins handle, but I always understood it
    >> was merely (hahaha) a factor of three or four, not ten.
    >>
    >> To all those Wintrolls: can you say "TCO"?

    > And to you I say "Want to buy a bridge"?

  15. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    On 2008-09-13, Hadron wrote:
    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> FWIW - before I retired a few years ago, I adminned out Linux systems.
    >>> Part time, as a collateral duty - took me on average about four hours per
    >>> month. There was also a full time IT guy who took care of the MS machines
    >>> - and that's all he did - but then he did have about four times as many
    >>> boxes to manage.

    >> You say you spent 1 hour per week on administering an X amount of Linux
    >> boxes. This other guy spent 40 hours per week administering four times that
    >> number of Windows boxes.

    > If you believe all this hogwash of course.
    >
    > Now lets dig deeper:
    >
    > servers : low maintenance.
    > desktops : prone to users messing up
    >
    > I wonder what OS was where?

    Comparing servers against desktops is not valid, but in my case the
    comparison is servers against servers.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  16. Re: One more update on Windows to Linux migration

    * ray peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:35:09 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >> Richard Rasker writes:

    >>> You say you spent 1 hour per week on administering an X amount of Linux
    >>> boxes. This other guy spent 40 hours per week administering four times
    >>> that number of Windows boxes.

    >> If you believe all this hogwash of course.
    >>
    >> Now lets dig deeper:
    >>
    >> servers : low maintenance.
    >> desktops : prone to users messing up
    >>
    >> I wonder what OS was where?

    > Actually, the mix was around 80/20 desktop/server on both OSs.
    >>
    >> And to you I say "Want to buy a bridge"?

    Your big mistake, guys, was posting something positive.

    Since Hadrone didn't post the positive item, he has to come along to
    tear it down.

    Like clockwork.

    A major self-important asshole is Hadrone Queeg.

    --
    Evolution is as much a fact as the earth turning on its axis and going around
    the sun. At one time this was called the Copernican theory; but, when

+ Reply to Thread