Browser Wars

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s less than a year since I first discovered that there was life beyond the
| painfully slow, close-then-reopen, hanging-up ways of Internet Explorer.

Proposed 2010 Goals

,----[ Quote ]
| What can Mozilla do with our products and our product development processes
| to move the Internet toward our vision of an open, decentralized,
| participatory place in the next two years? In my last post I suggested we
| develop a set of goals to answer this question. Here’s my proposal.
| Comments, suggestions, additions, deletions, concerns, even wholesale
| restructuring welcome!

SaaS Takes a Shine to Chrome

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's new browser Chrome has got blogs and newswires buzzing about the
| search giant's continued foray into Microsoft's core territory and I am not
| referring to their browser, the real challenge is to Microsoft's software
| applications. Obviously Chrome also signifies a challenge Internet Explorers
| 72 percent browser dominance, especially as the struggle to snap up online
| advertising dollars continues to grow.

Firefox 3.1 Alpha 2 reviewed

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has released the second alpha of Shiretoko, the development codename
| of Firefox 3.1. Alpha 2 brings a handful of improvements and new features
| that help advance the web to a more open, standards based stage, while
| tweaking the user experience.
| [...]
| TraceMonkey, the JavaScript optimization module that brings outstanding
| performance improvements to most web applications is disabled by default in
| this release because of some nasty bugs, but this should change soon.
| Also coming in future releases, most likely Beta 1, is geolocation support
| which was added some days ago, and will enable web developers to provide
| content customized to a user specific location.

First look: Firefox 3.1 alpha 2 officially released

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has officially announced the availability of the second Firefox 3.1
| alpha. This release includes support for the highly-anticipated HTML
| 5 "video" element and a handful of other features that move the browser
| forward.

Firefox 3.1 Alpha 2 now available for download

,----[ Quote ]
| The second developer milestone of the next release of Firefox - code named
| Shiretoko Alpha 2 - is now available for download. Shiretoko is built on
| pre-release version of the Gecko 1.9.1 platform, which forms the core of rich
| internet applications such as Firefox. Please note that this release is
| intended for developers and testers only.

New tab switching added for Firefox 3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Press Ctrl + Tab (or Shift + Ctrl + Tab) and you are presented with tab
| thumbnails and titles with the most recently visited ones first so you can
| more easily determine which tab you want to go, have the one you most
| probably want to go closer, and as a result get to it faster. Hold Ctrl
| pressed and keep pressing Tab to see the thumbnails smoothly scroll to the
| left while the status bar displays the tab web address.

Firefox is King

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla Firefox is now the king of all browsers. --At least based on the web
| traffic data gathered from junauza.com and from a popular tech blog by known
| Windows Vista fanboy user Jeff Atwood. Firefox tops all other web browsers
| and most importantly kicked its archrival Internet Explorer out of the
| highest position.

Firefox 3.1 alpha 1 code freeze is next Monday

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox 3 has only recently shipped but the first public milestone for its
| successor is fast approaching. *The Mozilla team is expecting that the code
| freeeze for alpha 1 of Firefox 3.1, code named Shiretoko, will be next Monday
| and that alpha 1 be available for early adopter testing on July 25.

Mozilla pitches Firefox 3.1 alpha for July release

,----[ Quote ]
| Just a week after Mozilla shipped Firefox 3.0, the open-source developer has
| proposed ship dates for the next version that, if approved, would produce an
| alpha release next month and a final no later than early 2009.

Firefox 3.1 (Shiretoko) planned features draft

,----[ Quote ]
| A very early draft of planned features reveals that as expected, this release
| will be mainly about landing stuff that didn’t make it on time for the
| Firefox 3, along with the usual performance, stability and security bug
| fixes.
| Visual tab switching and tab searching/filtering were both tried for Firefox
| 3, abandoned for other more critical features, and are being considered for
| 3.1. Ctrl+Tab, a extension developed by Dao Gottwald implements both of them
| displaying a thumbnail of the opened tabs when pressing Ctrl + Tab to switch
| tabs.

Mozilla targets Firefox 3.1 release for later this year

,----[ Quote ]
| Although Mozilla hasn't even released the final version of Firefox 3.0, its
| developers are already hammering out plans for the next edition, which may
| come as soon as late 2008, according to posts written by company executives.

Developers: Firefox 3.1 Update Should Be "Easy"

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of Firefox 3.0 has been a resounding success, but for some the
| upgrade path has been less than painless. The latest version of the open
| source browser differed enough from previous versions that many add-ons had
| to be substantially rewritten before they would work with the new release.
| And just when the dust appeared to be clearing, Firefox 3.1 is on the
| horizon.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)