[News] GNU/Linux Laptops Soon Available from Tesco? - Linux

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Laptops Soon Available from Tesco?

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Laptops Soon Available from Tesco?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Tesco reveals unannounced Dell 12in netbook
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Now, we did wonder if Tesco's spec is a garbled reference not to a
    > | netbook but to an upcoming Dell MID. But the spec also mentions 1GB of
    > | RAM, a 40GB hard drive, "Ubunto Linux" (sic), dimensions extending to 30
    > | x 30 x 17cm and a weight of 1.2kg, all of which are rather large for an
    > | MID.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09..._netbook_leak/

    Linux PCs were available from Tesco long ago, but eSys PCs are now
    longer being stocked. They were never enough of them in the first place
    and gone like hot cakes last winter.

    What happened?

    Did micoshaft bribe anyone in the chain in an monopolistic anti-trust way
    to not stock eSys PCs? Does eSys tell all to any press / government that
    wants to listen?

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Laptops Soon Available from Tesco?

    7 writes:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Tesco reveals unannounced Dell 12in netbook
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Now, we did wonder if Tesco's spec is a garbled reference not to a
    >> | netbook but to an upcoming Dell MID. But the spec also mentions 1GB of
    >> | RAM, a 40GB hard drive, "Ubunto Linux" (sic), dimensions extending to 30
    >> | x 30 x 17cm and a weight of 1.2kg, all of which are rather large for an
    >> | MID.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09..._netbook_leak/

    > Linux PCs were available from Tesco long ago, but eSys PCs are now
    > longer being stocked. They were never enough of them in the first place
    > and gone like hot cakes last winter.
    >
    > What happened?
    >
    > Did micoshaft bribe anyone in the chain in an monopolistic anti-trust way
    > to not stock eSys PCs? Does eSys tell all to any press / government that
    > wants to listen?

    Well, they certainly had a wonderful product:

    "well looking at the Tesco PC it looks like a poor atempt at entering the
    PC linux market, I would be intrested in how many numbers they have
    sold............I certainly wouldn't buy a poor mans intel box."

    http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.p...ewtopic&t=6831

    They stopped it because the return rate was too high. Too many people
    bought one only to discover their apps and game would not run and then
    brought them for a refund. It was simply too much effort for too little
    return. Needless to say no one from COLA bought one....

    --
    "I program Windows systems yes. But I am not a Windows user."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA.

+ Reply to Thread