SCSI scan problem - Linux

This is a discussion on SCSI scan problem - Linux ; Hi all we have a qla2300 fibre channel card I am trying to map a new LUN I am aware of the command echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan however it doesn't work and in the dmesg it writes: scsi: ...

  1. SCSI scan problem

    Hi all
    we have a qla2300 fibre channel card
    I am trying to map a new LUN
    I am aware of the command
    echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan
    however it doesn't work and in the dmesg it writes:

    scsi: Unexpected response from host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 9 while
    scanning, scan aborted

    (the lun 9 is the new LUN which is mapped on diskarray side, which I
    want to map on Linux)

    what is the correct usage for the scan command?

    Thank you

  2. Re: SCSI scan problem

    linuxnewbie1234 wrote:
    > Hi all
    > we have a qla2300 fibre channel card
    > I am trying to map a new LUN
    > I am aware of the command
    > echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan
    > however it doesn't work and in the dmesg it writes:
    >
    > scsi: Unexpected response from host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 9 while
    > scanning, scan aborted
    >
    > (the lun 9 is the new LUN which is mapped on diskarray side, which I
    > want to map on Linux)
    >
    > what is the correct usage for the scan command?

    What makes you think the command is wrong?

    The error message says that the response from the device is bad.
    This could be the device does not send proper INQUIRY data or it could
    even mean that the scsi layer failed to malloc() data.
    But if you're trying to add a new device, it's probably the former.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  3. Re: SCSI scan problem

    Josef Moellers wrote:
    >> what is the correct usage for the scan command?

    > What makes you think the command is wrong?

    what makes me think that I make mistakes?
    OWWW! Lots of things!! :-D

  4. Re: SCSI scan problem

    linuxnewbie1234 wrote:
    > Hi all
    > we have a qla2300 fibre channel card
    > I am trying to map a new LUN
    > I am aware of the command
    > echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan
    > however it doesn't work and in the dmesg it writes:
    >
    > scsi: Unexpected response from host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 9 while
    > scanning, scan aborted
    >
    > (the lun 9 is the new LUN which is mapped on diskarray side, which I
    > want to map on Linux)
    >
    > what is the correct usage for the scan command?
    >
    > Thank you

    The correct one is:

    rescan-scsi-bus.sh -w -l

    That's a simple helper tool for scanning for new LUNs.

+ Reply to Thread