Large Hadron Collider due to Freeze/Lock-up within 20 Minutes - Linux

This is a discussion on Large Hadron Collider due to Freeze/Lock-up within 20 Minutes - Linux ; According to DFS. After all, they run on Linux. http://dot.kde.org/1221087118/...

  1. Large Hadron Collider due to Freeze/Lock-up within 20 Minutes

    According to DFS. After all, they run on Linux.

    http://dot.kde.org/1221087118/

  2. Re: Large Hadron Collider due to Freeze/Lock-up within 20 Minutes

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > According to DFS. After all, they run on Linux.
    >
    > http://dot.kde.org/1221087118/

    Does this mean the Universe will need to be rebooted? That's a shame as I
    was about to start cooking dinner.

  3. Re: Large Hadron Collider due to Freeze/Lock-up within 20 Minutes

    On 2008-09-12, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu claimed:
    > According to DFS. After all, they run on Linux.
    >
    > http://dot.kde.org/1221087118/

    I suppose running linux might be what starts the end of the world that
    some thought the collider would bring. Or, maybe the world *didn't* end
    because it locked up 20 minutes into testing it.

    Whatever. Those scientists must be pretty smart to know exactly what OS
    to use to avoid a new big bang.

    --
    VISTA: Violently Invasive Severe Tyrannical Approach

  4. Re: Large Hadron Collider due to Freeze/Lock-up within 20 Minutes

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > According to DFS. After all, they run on Linux.
    >
    > http://dot.kde.org/1221087118/

    Ah well, at least I got my end away this morning

  5. Re: Large Hadron Collider due to Freeze/Lock-up within 20 Minutes

    In article
    ,
    "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" wrote:

    > According to DFS. After all, they run on Linux.
    >
    > http://dot.kde.org/1221087118/

    The seem to have security problems:

    --
    --Tim Smith

  6. Re: Large Hadron Collider due to Freeze/Lock-up within 20 Minutes

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article
    > ,
    > "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" wrote:
    >
    >> According to DFS. After all, they run on Linux.
    >>
    >> http://dot.kde.org/1221087118/

    > The seem to have security problems:

    According to another article, the system wasn't actually hacked:

    "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom smasher
    in America) had their access details compromised," said one of the
    scientists working on the machine.

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  7. Re: Large Hadron Collider due to Freeze/Lock-up within 20 Minutes

    RonB writes:

    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article
    >> ,
    >> "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" wrote:
    >>
    >>> According to DFS. After all, they run on Linux.
    >>>
    >>> http://dot.kde.org/1221087118/

    >> The seem to have security problems:
    >>

    > According to another article, the system wasn't actually hacked:
    >
    > "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom smasher
    > in America) had their access details compromised," said one of the
    > scientists working on the machine.
    >
    > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern212.xml

    You mean social engineering? The same SE some of us tried explaining to
    the COLA bozos ages ago? That no one here understood?

    "No, thats Windows only"

    LOL.

    This is just too funny.

    --
    "I do believe I have stated that he should be given the benefit of the
    doubt, as is his right. If he did this crime, as it would seem, then he

  8. Re: Large Hadron Collider due to Freeze/Lock-up within 20 Minutes

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:59:59 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > RonB writes:
    >
    >> Tim Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article
    >>> ,

    >>> The seem to have security problems:
    >>>
    >>> <http://news.google.com/news?

    hl=en&tab=wn&ned=&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1245930383>

    >> According to another article, the system wasn't actually hacked:
    >>
    >> "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom
    >> smasher in America) had their access details compromised," said one of
    >> the scientists working on the machine.
    >>
    >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...th/2008/09/12/

    scicern212.xml

    > You mean social engineering? The same SE some of us tried explaining to
    > the COLA bozos ages ago? That no one here understood?
    >
    > "No, thats Windows only"
    >
    > LOL.
    >
    > This is just too funny.

    Yep...

    I wrote a whole post on it and was laughed at by the Linux loons....
    Like I've always said, when Linux get's big enough to matter, it will be
    attacked and it WILL be hacked and social engineering and end user
    stupidity will be primary methods of attack.
    Just like they are under Windows.

    It's hysterical watching the Linux loons trying to scramble and go into
    damage control.
    Really funny.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Large Hadron Collider due to Freeze/Lock-up within 20 Minutes

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:59:59 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> RonB writes:

    > hl=en&tab=wn&ned=&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1245930383>
    >>>
    >>> According to another article, the system wasn't actually hacked:
    >>>
    >>> "We think that someone from Fermilab's Tevatron (the competing atom
    >>> smasher in America) had their access details compromised," said one of
    >>> the scientists working on the machine.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...th/2008/09/12/

    > scicern212.xml
    >>
    >> You mean social engineering? The same SE some of us tried explaining to
    >> the COLA bozos ages ago? That no one here understood?
    >>
    >> "No, thats Windows only"
    >>
    >> LOL.
    >>
    >> This is just too funny.

    > Yep...
    >
    > I wrote a whole post on it and was laughed at by the Linux loons....
    > Like I've always said, when Linux get's big enough to matter, it will be
    > attacked and it WILL be hacked and social engineering and end user
    > stupidity will be primary methods of attack.
    > Just like they are under Windows.
    >
    > It's hysterical watching the Linux loons trying to scramble and go into
    > damage control.
    > Really funny.

    You can almost hear the "offline" background chatter as they try to
    formulate a consistent and strong line of defence.

    Frankly I dont care - we (sensible people) - know that almost all system
    can be compromised. We also know that Linux is so rare in the real world
    on peoples desktops that few people have bothered to hack LInux for
    things like bank details etc. Anyway, must Linux users are still using
    their Mums "Dunkin Doughnuts" credit cards and not their own.

    --
    "I am not worthy to wipe your pee-pee "
    -- Liarnut in comp.os.linux.advocacy

+ Reply to Thread