ext3 behaviour when file system is full - Linux

This is a discussion on ext3 behaviour when file system is full - Linux ; I have observed when I fill an ext3 file system by just creating a number of small sized files (within the inode limit) the call to create the file would fail saying "no more space" kind of message but it ...

  1. ext3 behaviour when file system is full

    I have observed when I fill an ext3 file system by just creating a
    number of small sized files (within the inode limit) the
    call to create the file would fail saying "no more space" kind of
    message but it still results in some disk activity. The back trace
    suggests it is something to do with the kjournald trying to commit. As
    one may guess I don't see the problem on ext2 however.

    I wonder why there should be any disk activity when the file system
    can check quotas/available resources and can
    fail the basic create file operation.

  2. Re: ext3 behaviour when file system is full

    On Sep 12, 5:07*pm, lsri wrote:
    > I have observed when I fill an ext3 file system by just creating a
    > number of small sized files (within the inode limit) the
    > call to create the file would fail saying "no more space" kind of
    > message but it still results in some disk activity. The back trace
    > suggests it is something to do with the kjournald trying to commit. As
    > one may guess I don't see the problem on ext2 however.
    >
    > I wonder why there should be any disk activity when the file system
    > can check quotas/available resources and can
    > fail the basic create file operation.

    well i have heard if you want to store many small files...go for
    reiser instead.
    well, i'm not so sure about it.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread