[News] Ohio GNU/Linux Event Coming; Software Freedom Day Buzz - Linux

  1. [News] Ohio GNU/Linux Event Coming; Software Freedom Day Buzz

    Ohio Linux Fest Looms!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I have to take a few minutes and plug my favorite Linux event. Every year
    | around this time a huge number of Linux geeks converge upon downtown Columbus
    | Ohio. Registration (free!) has been open for quite some time. The even takes
    | place October 11 and is part trade show, part geek-fest, part technical --
    | but it's 100% fun.
    `----

    Software Freedom Day in Boston is a Wealth for the Commons: Saturday, September
    20, 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's Saturday and a roomful of people are advising each other on modifying
    | their mobile devices, optimizing their GNU/Linux systems and organizing for
    | software freedom. But it's not a room full of experts - at least not mostly.
    | Artists, activists, students and others want the freedom to do anything they
    | want with their computers and they're here to learn new tricks and garner
    | shortcuts from each other.
    `----

    http://www.openmediaboston.org/node/319

    Unlimited Potential in open source software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wellington ICT professionals network Unlimited Potential is adding a local
    | flavour to international Software Freedom Day celebrations.
    `----

    http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0809/S00044.htm

    Sun Leads Global Mobilization of Communities Around Software Freedom Day 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun Microsystems, Inc. (NASDAQ:JAVA) today announced a global call to action
    | for organizations and consumers to embrace open source software as part of
    | its sponsorship of Software Freedom Day (SFD) on September 20, 2008. Sun is
    | calling for community members and Sun employees across the world to
    | participate in a global education program designed to improve awareness
    | around the importance and benefits of open source technologies.
    `----

    http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...84&newsLang=en

    Recent:

    Software Freedom Day 08 happening in Wellington

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Unlimited Potential (UP) in association with the New Zealand Open Source
    | Society (NZOSS), SuperHappyDevHouse, Wellington Linux User Group (WellyLUG)
    | and CWA New Media are organising Software Freedom Day 08.
    `----

    Software Freedom Day - huh?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So if you’re new to open source, Software Freedom Day celebrates a
    | philosophical movement which values collaboration, community and
    | transparency. It benefits the public good and ensures basic human freedoms
    | are strengthened by technology, not hampered.
    `----

    http://www.fanaticattack.com/2008/so...m-day-huh.html

    Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Ubuntu Philippines Local Community Team (Ubuntu-PH), in cooperation with
    | the University of the Philippines Diliman Department of Computer Science,
    | invite you to a day of sharing experiences, learning, and meeting fellow
    | enthusiasts involved in the hottest GNU/Linux distribution that hit
    | mainstream computing - Ubuntu!
    `----

    http://jdocih.wordpress.com/2008/08/...y-manila-2008/

    Software Freedom Day 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well, like I mentioned before, It was only last year when I heard about this
    | wonderful global event. Natalie Colina and Rodrigo Rodriguez (both members of
    | a LUG in Paraguana, GULIP) told me about this oportunity to promote more
    | aournd my city, also to show a sign of unity and true world wide community.
    `----

    http://effiejayx.velugmaracaibo.org.ve/?p=130

    Document Freedom Day in Vienna/Austria

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In Vienna we are currently organising the Document Freedom Day Event. We will
    | place a booth (table, chairs and the flag will do the job) in front of the
    | Museumsquartier (on the corner of Mariahilferstrasse and Museumsplatz) and
    | will try to raise awareness for the relevance of Free Document Formats among
    | interested people who pass by.
    `----

    http://www.fsfe.org/en/fellows/gk/bl...vienna_austria

  2. Re: [News] Ohio GNU/Linux Event Coming; Software Freedom Day Buzz

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:51:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Ohio Linux Fest Looms!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| I have to take a few minutes and plug my favorite Linux event. Every year
    >| around this time a huge number of Linux geeks converge upon downtown Columbus
    >| Ohio. Registration (free!) has been open for quite some time. The even takes
    >| place October 11 and is part trade show, part geek-fest, part technical --
    >| but it's 100% fun.
    > `----
    >
    > http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/1088535/index.html

    Hopefully the wind isn't blowing East......

    http://www.abiword.org/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: