[News] Mandriva 2009 with KDE 4.1 Looking Good - Linux

  1. [News] Mandriva 2009 with KDE 4.1 Looking Good

    Mandriva One 2009 - KDE4 - RC1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With its complete hardware detection, out of the box support and all in one
    | stop control center and no major bugs, this release is going to be another
    | success story for Mandriva.
    `----

    http://planetoss.com/detail.php?id=18

    Recent:

    Mandriva Linux 2009 RC1 - Camelopard

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2977411...57607112212995

    Mandriva 2009 RC1 Has KDE 4.1.1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A few minutes ago, Mandriva has announced the first release candidate version
    | of Mandriva 2009, which brings a greatly improved package management tool,
    | with automatic mirror selection and repository configuration. Dubbed
    | camelopard, this first RC replaces the old madwifi wireless driver with the
    | brand new ath5k, for all Atheros cards, and brings further improvements to
    | the Ora theme. The development cycle of Mandriva 2009 will continue with the
    | second release candidate in late September, and will conclude with the final
    | release in early October. With the 2009 edition, Mandriva Linux will try to
    | compete with the current release of openSUSE 11.0 and the upcoming Ubuntu
    | 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex), and even to "steal" some of their devoted users.
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mandr...-1-92970.shtml

    Mandriva Linux 2009 RC1 is available

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva Linux 2009 Release Candidate 1 (code name camelopard) is available
    | on public mirrors now (or will be in the coming hours).
    `----

    http://blog.mandriva.com/2008/09/04/...-is-available/

    Mandriva Linux 2009 RC 1

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_RC_1

    Mandriva Linux 2009 Beta 2 released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva is proud to announce the release of Mandriva Linux 2009 Beta
    | 2 'okapi'. This beta includes a completely new installer for the Free (and,
    | in the final release, Powerpack) edition, and is testing the Fedora
    | system-config-printer printer configuration tool as an alternative to
    | printerdrake. The new beta also brings Firefox 3, OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta,
    | and support for the ethernet adapter used in many new Eee (and other netbook)
    | models.
    `----

    http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/2009Beta2

    10 Most Beautiful Plasma Themes for KDE 4 Desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The latest series of the K Desktop Environment now utilizes Plasma, a new
    | desktop and panel user interface tool that aims for a more functional,
    | user-friendly, and sleek KDE desktop. Plasma also supports Dashboard-like
    | widgets called plasmoids.
    `----

    http://www.junauza.com/2008/08/10-mo...s-for-kde.html

    Mandriva 2009 Beta 1 Brings You KDE 4.1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva announced the first beta release of Mandriva 2009, which brings KDE
    | 4.1, GNOME 2.23.5, Firefox 3, and the final version of Linux kernel 2.6.26
    | with tethering support for Windows Mobile 5+. Also, in this beta, the old
    | bootsplash is finally replaced by Splashy and the synce framework makes its
    | first appearance, which brings synchronization support for Windows Mobile
    | 2003 devices.
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Softp...-91344.shtml#4

    2009.0 Beta 1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The first beta for Mandriva Linux 2009, code named thornicrofti, is now
    | available. There is information about the new release in various places:
    |
    | * * * Mandriva Linux 2009 release notes: these will be updated to reflect the
    | * * * status of the current pre-release.
    | * * * Mandriva Linux 2009 Errata: these will be updated to reflect the status
    | * * * of the current pre-release.
    | * * * A guide to some major new features of Mandriva Linux 2009
    | * * * The release schedule and technical specifications for Mandriva Linux
    | * * * 2009: all of these may not be implemented.
    `----

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Beta_1

    Mandriva Linux 2009 Alpha 2 released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva is proud to announce the release of Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring Alpha
    | 2, marking the first public pre-release of the upcoming Mandriva Linux 2009.
    | This alpha introduces several significant changes, most obviously the
    | inclusion of KDE 4 - 4.1 beta 2, specifically - as the default version of
    | KDE, and the latest development version of GNOME, 2.23.4. The kernel has also
    | been updated to release 2.6.26rc7.
    `----

    http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/2009Alpha2

    Living with Mandriva 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is currently my favorite popular distro. From a practical standpoint, I
    | feel it is better than Windows Vista. I don’t say that as a Linux slappy.
    | Looking at it from an angle of which OS enables me to do the things I need to
    | do day in and day out, Mandriva shines. My next article will compare Vista
    | and Mandriva 2008 in depth, and I will convince you why 2008 wins.
    `----

    http://www.linuxtechdaily.com/2007/1...mandriva-2008/

    Mandriva Plunge: following the 2009 release

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On the plus side, this Alpha 2 release is far more stable on this laptop than
    | the previous stable release. It’s fast, snappy and the screen doesn’t freeze
    | or lock on me. If this is the starting point I am more than curious to see
    | how it pans out in the coming months.
    `----

    http://www.ruminationsonthedigitalre...e-2009-release

    Mandriva Linux 2009.0 First Impressions

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | All in all I'm impressed, both with Mandriva 2009.0, and it's only an Alpha
    | release, and KDE4. Never thought I'd say that.
    `----

    Notes from the Field: Mandriva 2009 KDE Alpha 2

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I choose to test the alpha 2 release with the KDE desktop because Mandriva
    | 2009 will eventually ship using KDE 4.1, everone's favorite desktop. Alpha 2
    | is also supposed to ship with the latest video drivers for both ATI and
    | nVidia, which means that it should also support Compiz. Unfortunately alpha 2
    | did not, even though the current version of Mandriva does, and quite well.
    `----

    http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2008/0...-2009-kde.html

    Mandriva 2009 Alpha 2 Brings You a Beautiful KDE 4 Desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva announced last night the second alpha release of Mandriva 2009,
    | which brings KDE4 (default desktop), GNOME 2.23.4, and support for the newest
    | NVIDIA and ATI/AMD video cards.
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mandr...op-89747.shtml

  2. Re: [News] Mandriva 2009 with KDE 4.1 Looking Good

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:48:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Mandriva One 2009 - KDE4 - RC1
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| With its complete hardware detection, out of the box support and all in one
    >| stop control center and no major bugs, this release is going to be another
    >| success story for Mandriva.
    > `----
    >
    > http://planetoss.com/detail.php?id=148

    I've been hearing the same crap from the Linux community for 15 years.

    I'll bet $20.00 it's *complete hardware detection* it doesn't find my dual
    monitors.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: [News] Mandriva 2009 with KDE 4.1 Looking Good

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:48:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Mandriva One 2009 - KDE4 - RC1
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| With its complete hardware detection, out of the box support and all in one
    >>| stop control center and no major bugs, this release is going to be another
    >>| success story for Mandriva.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://planetoss.com/detail.php?id=148

    > I've been hearing the same crap from the Linux community for 15 years.
    >
    > I'll bet $20.00 it's *complete hardware detection* it doesn't find my dual
    > monitors.

    I have never met anyone who uses Mandriva. It sounds like something
    Marti would buy to keep himself warm at nights.

    --
    "My college theater antics were the inspiration for Robin
    Williams' character on Mork & Mindy"

  4. Re: [News] Mandriva 2009 with KDE 4.1 Looking Good

    Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:48:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Mandriva One 2009 - KDE4 - RC1
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://planetoss.com/detail.php?id=148

    >> I've been hearing the same crap from the Linux community for 15 years.
    >>
    >> I'll bet $20.00 it's *complete hardware detection* it doesn't find my
    >> dual monitors.

    > I have never met anyone who uses Mandriva. It sounds like something
    > Marti would buy to keep himself warm at nights.

    I use Mandriva. As do most of the many dozens of people I installed it for.
    And indeed, its great hardware support is what sets it apart from most other
    mainstream distributions. In the past ten to fifteen installs or so, I
    haven't encountered anything it couldn't handle; this includes several
    wireless cards, although I had to use ndiswrapper with the Windows drivers
    on several occasions.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  5. Re: [News] Mandriva 2009 with KDE 4.1 Looking Good

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > Hadron wrote:

    >>> I've been hearing the same crap from the Linux community for 15 years.
    >>>
    >>> I'll bet $20.00 it's *complete hardware detection* it doesn't find my
    >>> dual monitors.

    >> I have never met anyone who uses Mandriva. It sounds like something
    >> Marti would buy to keep himself warm at nights.

    > I use Mandriva. As do most of the many dozens of people I installed it
    > for.

    Err, well, duh ....

    > And indeed, its great hardware support is what sets it apart from most other
    > mainstream distributions. In the past ten to fifteen installs or so, I

    So you agree that other distros do NOT have such good HW
    detection. Good. We are making progress. Why is it so much better? WHY
    is its progress not shared with the other distros? I know. Can you
    guess?

    > haven't encountered anything it couldn't handle; this includes several
    > wireless cards, although I had to use ndiswrapper with the Windows drivers
    > on several occasions.

    Which distros did you use which mandriva improved upon? You know, where
    the HW was not detected. Where they did not work? Do tell. And hurry.

    --
    "Maybe he knows where the body is because he saw where
    it was put." -- "Rick" defending Hans Reiser (his hero) in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  6. Re: [News] Mandriva 2009 with KDE 4.1 Looking Good

  7. Re: [News] Mandriva 2009 with KDE 4.1 Looking Good

    Hadron wrote:

    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> I have never met anyone who uses Mandriva. It sounds like something
    >>> Marti would buy to keep himself warm at nights.

    >> I use Mandriva. As do most of the many dozens of people I installed it
    >> for.

    > Err, well, duh ....
    >
    >> And indeed, its great hardware support is what sets it apart from most
    >> other mainstream distributions. In the past ten to fifteen installs or
    >> so, I

    > So you agree that other distros do NOT have such good HW
    > detection. Good. We are making progress. Why is it so much better? WHY
    > is its progress not shared with the other distros? I know. Can you
    > guess?
    >
    >> haven't encountered anything it couldn't handle; this includes several
    >> wireless cards, although I had to use ndiswrapper with the Windows
    >> drivers on several occasions.

    > Which distros did you use which mandriva improved upon? You know, where
    > the HW was not detected. Where they did not work? Do tell. And hurry.

    I can't really say all that much about the current situation with other
    distributions, as I've been using Mandrake/Mandrive almost exclusively as a
    desktop OS for at least five years now. But it the past I found it could
    often handle things smoothly where other distributions I tried (Fedora,
    Debian, SuSE) presented problems. I still use Debian too by the way, but
    only for servers; one reason why Debian's hardware support is sometimes
    troublesome is because its "stable" releases often don't support newer (<12
    months old) hardware. Another reason is the way Debian treats closed-source
    drivers, which means that it takes a bit of extra work to get graphics
    acceleration and wireless working.
    Anyway, as I said, I hardly ever encounter hardware problems with Mandriva;
    together with its excellent package manager I find this enough of a reason
    to stick with it.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  8. Re: [News] Mandriva 2009 with KDE 4.1 Looking Good

    Richard Rasker schreef:
    > Hadron wrote:

    >>> I've been hearing the same crap from the Linux community for 15 years.
    >>>
    >>> I'll bet $20.00 it's *complete hardware detection* it doesn't find my
    >>> dual monitors.

    >> I have never met anyone who uses Mandriva. It sounds like something
    >> Marti would buy to keep himself warm at nights.

    Well, well, well Quack you are clearly obsessed with me again today.
    Can't help you here. Even if you where a 100% Ricardo Antonio Chavira
    look alike, you didn't stand a chance in hell, because of your awful
    attitude :-p

    Anyway as a matter of fact, I downloaded Mandriva, booted the LiveCD and
    *BINGO!* it recognized all the hardware of the Acer Aspire.

    So I installed it and wiped Vista Home Basic

    > I use Mandriva. As do most of the many dozens of people I installed it for.
    > And indeed, its great hardware support is what sets it apart from most other
    > mainstream distributions. In the past ten to fifteen installs or so, I
    > haven't encountered anything it couldn't handle; this includes several
    > wireless cards, although I had to use ndiswrapper with the Windows drivers
    > on several occasions.
    >

    > Richard Rasker

    The Atheros wireless adapter ran out of the box up here. I didn't even
    had to manually install the Nvidia driver.

    Cheers

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  9. Re: [News] Mandriva 2009 with KDE 4.1 Looking Good

    ml2mst wrote:

    >>> I have never met anyone who uses Mandriva. It sounds like something
    >>> Marti would buy to keep himself warm at nights.

    >Well, well, well Quack you are clearly obsessed with me again today.

    Somewhat funny, though, I have to admit... Sorry. 8)

  10. Re: [News] Mandriva 2009 with KDE 4.1 Looking Good

    * Richard Rasker peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> Which distros did you use which mandriva improved upon? You know, where
    >> the HW was not detected. Where they did not work? Do tell. And hurry.

    Answer this major self-important asshole a little faster next time, will
    ya Richard.

    --
    "Just think of a computer as hardware you can program."
    -- Nigel de la Tierre

+ Reply to Thread