[News] The Meaning of Free Software and Its Importance - Linux

  1. [News] The Meaning of Free Software and Its Importance

    The Real Reason to Celebrate GNU's Birthday

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of Stallman's many insights was that science flourished because it was
    | based on sharing discoveries so that others could build on them, without
    | needing to re-invent the wheel.
    |
    | The closing of software meant that it was impossible to do this, since the
    | last thing that corporate owners of that code wanted to do was to make it
    | freely available. Stallman's idea was to create a movement that would
    | contribute code to the computing community just as scientists contribute
    | knowledge.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...1252&blogid=14

    GNU: the revolution turns 25

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The torrent of coverage that such a momentous event should generate has not
    | been seen. That's because the so-called open source movement rules the roost
    | these days - and is anxious that people should forget their roots.
    |
    | People often attribute their dislike of free software to the founder of the
    | GNU project, Richard Stallman, and his uncompromising attitude towards many
    | things. In the early days of the GNU project, Stallman antagonised quite a
    | few free software hackers by his management of the development of GNU Emacs.
    |
    | Stallman has also been criticised for politicising the free software movement
    | by insisting that the distribution terms for GNU software be such that people
    | cannot add restrictions of their own.
    |
    | But those who criticise him on these counts are woefully short-sighted; the
    | truth of the matter is that without a person like Stallman who was prepared
    | to go out on a limb for a cause, we would all be using proprietary operating
    | systems today.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20601/1090/

    Recent:

    GNU is 25 by Matt Lee

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After some difficult developmental years, this September marks the 25th
    | birthday of GNU, and we're going to be celebrating in style.
    `----

    http://www.fsf.org/bulletin/2008/spring/gnu-is-25/

    Freedom Fry — "Happy birthday to GNU"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mr. Stephen Fry introduces you to free software, and reminds you of a very
    | special birthday.
    `----

    http://www.gnu.org/fry/happy-birthday-to-gnu.html

    Stephen Fry punts free software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In one of the less likely combinations of talent, Stephen Fry has been called
    | in to be part of the 25th anniversary of the GNU operating system. Fry, a
    | popular humorist, actor and novelist features in a five-minute long film in
    | which he explains the history of free software and its importance in the
    | world.
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2909

  2. Re: [News] The Meaning of Free Software and Its Importance

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    > The Real Reason to Celebrate GNU's Birthday
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | One of Stallman's many insights was that science flourished because it was
    > | based on sharing discoveries so that others could build on them, without
    > | needing to re-invent the wheel.
    > |
    > | The closing of software meant that it was impossible to do this, since the
    > | last thing that corporate owners of that code wanted to do was to make it
    > | freely available. Stallman's idea was to create a movement that would
    > | contribute code to the computing community just as scientists contribute
    > | knowledge.
    > `----

    There is a HUGE difference between sharing knowledge and sharing the
    products created WITH that knowledge.

+ Reply to Thread