[News] Microsoft and Microsoft Puppet (Novell) Exclude GNU/Linux - Linux

  1. [News] Microsoft and Microsoft Puppet (Novell) Exclude GNU/Linux

    Suse Linux virtualized on Windows--why?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As Suse Linux fades further from any relevance outside of Microsoft, and Red
    | Hat and Sun make huge strides in virtualization, Novell plans to offer
    | support for Suse running on Windows. Is there meaning here or is Novell just
    | becoming more of a Microsoft puppet?
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10039172-62.html

    Recent:

    The Waltham Pact: Where are the tangibles?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well there’s… Mono? Sure, Novell has access to Microsoft’s developers and
    | documentation for re-implementing .NET on Linux, but Microsoft has hardly
    | made a college try to help Novell actually FINISH Mono or commit programmers
    | to the effort. Hell, if Microsoft took one million dollars of that hundred
    | million, and earmarked a few of its .NET developers as consulting staff to
    | Novell for 3 years, you can bet they would get to parity with the one on
    | Windows, at least so it isn’t always broken with the latest implementation of
    | whatever API. Now, I’m not blaming Microsoft for not being open with Novell —
    | it’s not their implicit responsibility to build Open Source projects — Mono
    | is a Novell sponsored, community effort. But if Microsoft really wants to
    | see .NET running on literally every OS, then Mono is going to need more than
    | just “here’s our docs and call our guys and come on campus whenever you want
    | when you need help, Miguel. Oh and by the way, have some free Diet Cokes and
    | go use our Starbucks in the lounge.”
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9228

    Related:

    Novell congratulates itself for snogging Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Novell wants you to know that selling its soul to Steve Ballmer was a really
    | good idea.
    |
    | On the last day of 2007, two separate Novell execs tossed up blog posts
    | congratulating themselves for agreeing to that "interoperability partnership"
    | with Microsoft, a year-old deal intent on forcing an unholy relationship
    | between Linux and Windows.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01..._self_on_back/

    Why is there no Open Source SLES ?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of them is that the SLES community is much smaller and more aimed at
    | proprietary software. Novell itself is promoting Mixed Source and promotes
    | its own proprietary software on top of SLES (also see OES). This obviously
    | scares part of the community away. The deal with Microsoft obviously does as
    | well. As a result Novell is big within Enterprises with little community
    | people, and these are not the kind of people that would spend their free time
    | rebuilding packages and do QA.
    |
    | Another reason is that Novell is not in favor of such a project (even though
    | people from within Novell and people in the SLES community disagree with
    | management) because it fears it will take away some of the profit and Novell
    | made a big risk by taking the Linux route, they cannot afford to make it
    | fail.
    `----

    http://dag.wieers.com/blog/content/w...en-source-sles

    Is it Microsoft + Novell or Microsoft vs. Novell?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Actually, this is very surprising. I've started to notice a trend in all the
    | announcements the two companies have made over the past year: Novell stresses
    | interoperability while Microsoft beats its drum on patent protection.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I wonder how long Microsoft will continue its efforts to try to cast the deal
    | as about IP. It's not for Novell, it seems to me now. Microsoft did the deal
    | to hurt Linux - there's no other explanation for it. It has no fiduciary duty
    | to enable a competitor (unless its a weaker competitor against the Linux
    | market leader, Red Hat). It has a fiduciary duty to kill that competitor.
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Novell uses Microsoft FUD to market itself

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That these claims also could be taken to mean that Novell is developing a
    | non-standard Linux, one that is skewed only towards working with Windows,
    | appears to have escaped Novell.
    |
    | In other words, Novell has an "in" with Microsoft which Red Hat does not;
    | Utah and Redmond are in bed together and Red Hat is an intruder.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft and Microsoft Puppet (Novell) Exclude GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Suse Linux virtualized on Windows--why?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | As Suse Linux fades further from any relevance outside of Microsoft, and
    > | Red Hat and Sun make huge strides in virtualization, Novell plans to
    > | offer support for Suse running on Windows. Is there meaning here or is
    > | Novell just becoming more of a Microsoft puppet?
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10039172-62.html

    SuSE should have forked a long time ago.
    No venture capital company would refuse funding if enough staff
    got together and defected to create a micoshaft infection free version of
    SuSE.

    Micoshaftees and novel shaftees probably have all the SuSE key staff
    pinned down in meetings and writing proposals (that ain't going
    anywere) keeping them in hope of better times.
    The better times are not coming.
    Its face reality and defect now.

+ Reply to Thread