Apples new killer app - Linux

This is a discussion on Apples new killer app - Linux ; http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9114468 Another example of apples "quality". Or better, the non-existance of it -- 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name....

  1. Apples new killer app

    --
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

  2. Re: Apples new killer app

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9114468

    > Another example of apples "quality". Or better, the non-existance of it

    Yeah, but why should an application be able to take down an OS? You've got
    to give Vista ME some credit here.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: Apples new killer app

    "RonB" stated in post
    2Dhyk.451$rV4.118@newsfe03.iad on 9/11/08 4:12 PM:

    > Peter KŲhlmann wrote:
    >

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leBasic&articl
    > eId=9114468
    >>
    >> Another example of apples "quality". Or better, the non-existance of it

    > Yeah, but why should an application be able to take down an OS? You've got
    > to give Vista ME some credit here.

    And why would Peter obsess over Apple... they do not even ship a Linux
    distro!

    --
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan Simpson

  4. Re: Apples new killer app

    RonB wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9114468

    >> Another example of apples "quality". Or better, the non-existance of it

    > Yeah, but why should an application be able to take down an OS? You've got
    > to give Vista ME some credit here.

    Certainly. After all, it is just windows. Garbage of the worst sort. Any app
    badly written can take it down. Like apple apps, for example

    But then, where was apples "quality control"? You know, those checks which
    are so stringent, so extremely well done to give the user the warm feeling
    of something "so much better"?

    It was non-existant. Apples quality control is just as bad as that of MS.
    They have at best the "it compiles. Lets ship it" mentality of MS
    --
    Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware

  5. Re: Apples new killer app

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > RonB wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >>

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9114468
    >>>
    >>> Another example of apples "quality". Or better, the non-existance of it

    >> Yeah, but why should an application be able to take down an OS? You've got
    >> to give Vista ME some credit here.
    >>

    > Certainly. After all, it is just windows. Garbage of the worst sort. Any app
    > badly written can take it down. Like apple apps, for example

    Being a Windows developer and user, you would know more about this than
    most of us here of course.

    --
    "For example, user interfaces are _usually_ better in commercial software.
    I'm not saying that this is always true, but in many cases the user

  6. Re: Apples new killer app

    * Peter KŲhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9114468
    >
    > Another example of apples "quality". Or better, the non-existance of it

    "iTunes 8 takes down Vista with 'blue screen of death'
    Users report crashes after updating iTunes; some say unplugging HP
    printers helps."

    So is it Apple's, HP's, or Microsoft's snafu? Or a combination thereof?

    Just a rhetorical question.

    --
    He hath eaten me out of house and home.
    -- William Shakespeare, "Henry IV"

  7. Re: Apples new killer app

    Linonut writes:

    > * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9114468
    >>
    >> Another example of apples "quality". Or better, the non-existance of it

    > "iTunes 8 takes down Vista with 'blue screen of death'
    > Users report crashes after updating iTunes; some say unplugging HP
    > printers helps."
    >
    > So is it Apple's, HP's, or Microsoft's snafu? Or a combination thereof?
    >
    > Just a rhetorical question.

    You're such a lame suck up Liarnut. Bugs happen. Live with it. Here:

    http://tinyurl.com/3hl7mr

    --
    "For example, user interfaces are _usually_ better in commercial software.
    I'm not saying that this is always true, but in many cases the user
    interface to a program is the most important part for a commercial
    company..." Linus Torvalds

  8. Re: Apples new killer app

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > But then, where was apples "quality control"? You know, those checks which
    > are so stringent, so extremely well done to give the user the warm feeling
    > of something "so much better"?
    >
    > It was non-existant. Apples quality control is just as bad as that of MS.
    > They have at best the "it compiles. Lets ship it" mentality of MS

    Now I've got your point. Sorry for being obtuse.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  9. Re: Apples new killer app

    Hadron wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >
    >> RonB wrote:
    >>
    >>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9114468

    >>> Yeah, but why should an application be able to take down an OS? You've
    >>> got to give Vista ME some credit here.
    >>>

    >> Certainly. After all, it is just windows. Garbage of the worst sort. Any
    >> app badly written can take it down. Like apple apps, for example

    > Being a Windows developer and user, you would know more about this than
    > most of us here of course.

    Right. Ask yourself why I think of windows just in terms of "garbage"

    It is because I have to deal with that crap
    --
    I just found out that the brain is like a computer.
    If that's true, then there really aren't any stupid people.

  10. Re: Apples new killer app

    In article <2Dhyk.451$rV4.118@newsfe03.iad>,
    RonB wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leBasic&articl
    > eId=9114468
    > >
    > > Another example of apples "quality". Or better, the non-existance of it

    > Yeah, but why should an application be able to take down an OS? You've got
    > to give Vista ME some credit here.

    It's not being taken down by an application. It's being taken down by a
    device driver.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  11. Re: Apples new killer app

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <2Dhyk.451$rV4.118@newsfe03.iad>,
    > RonB wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leBasic&articl
    >> eId=9114468
    >> >
    >> > Another example of apples "quality". Or better, the non-existance of it

    >> Yeah, but why should an application be able to take down an OS? You've
    >> got to give Vista ME some credit here.

    > It's not being taken down by an application. It's being taken down by a
    > device driver.

    Oh? An app so incredibly badly written that it needs a "device driver" all
    of its own to perform a run-off-the-mill function?
    You mean, it's an apple app? Really?

    Well, that explains it. "Apple quality" at its finest. It not only needs a
    device driver to perform its functions (which should never include such
    needs), but it also comes with said "device driver" of such a
    shoddy "quality" that only apple could supply such crap.
    And, to top it off, "apple quality control" was out for lunch. As usual

    Did I miss something?
    --
    No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
    significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

  12. Re: Apples new killer app

    "Peter KŲhlmann" stated in post
    48c9b60f$0$3545$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net on 9/11/08 5:21 PM:

    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article <2Dhyk.451$rV4.118@newsfe03.iad>,
    >> RonB wrote:
    >>
    >>> Peter KŲhlmann wrote:
    >>>

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leBasic&articl
    >>> eId=9114468

    >>> Yeah, but why should an application be able to take down an OS? You've
    >>> got to give Vista ME some credit here.

    >> It's not being taken down by an application. It's being taken down by a
    >> device driver.
    >>

    > Oh? An app so incredibly badly written that it needs a "device driver" all
    > of its own to perform a run-off-the-mill function?
    > You mean, it's an apple app? Really?
    >
    > Well, that explains it. "Apple quality" at its finest. It not only needs a
    > device driver to perform its functions (which should never include such
    > needs), but it also comes with said "device driver" of such a
    > shoddy "quality" that only apple could supply such crap.
    > And, to top it off, "apple quality control" was out for lunch. As usual
    >
    > Did I miss something?

    Yes.

    --
    "The music is not inside the piano." - Alan Kay

  13. Re: Apples new killer app

    * Peter KŲhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> Being a Windows developer and user, you would know more about this than
    >> most of us here of course.

    > Right. Ask yourself why I think of windows just in terms of "garbage"
    >
    > It is because I have to deal with that crap

    Indeed. But some people actually /like/ Windows!!!!!!

    --
    How many Bavarian Illuminati does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

    Three: one to screw it in, and one to confuse the issue.

  14. Re: Apples new killer app

    On 2008-09-11, Linonut claimed:
    > * Peter KŲhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9114468
    >>
    >> Another example of apples "quality". Or better, the non-existance of it

    > "iTunes 8 takes down Vista with 'blue screen of death'
    > Users report crashes after updating iTunes; some say unplugging HP
    > printers helps."
    >
    > So is it Apple's, HP's, or Microsoft's snafu? Or a combination thereof?
    >
    > Just a rhetorical question.

    Is the same iTunes update available for XP? If so, does XP BSOD on
    command after the update the way Vista does?

    Some of the relevant comments mentioned either not owning or removing
    everything related to HP, so it seems that is more of a conicidence
    than a smoking gun. Ditto the Logictech part that others claimed is
    related.

    I think you can see where this is going.

    --
    You can make things foolproof, but not idiot-proof because Windows
    users are so ingenious.

  15. Re: Apples new killer app

    On 2008-09-12, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article <2Dhyk.451$rV4.118@newsfe03.iad>,
    >> RonB wrote:
    >>
    >>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >>>

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leBasic&articl
    >>> eId=9114468

    >>> Yeah, but why should an application be able to take down an OS? You've
    >>> got to give Vista ME some credit here.

    >> It's not being taken down by an application. It's being taken down by a
    >> device driver.
    >>

    > Oh? An app so incredibly badly written that it needs a "device driver" all
    > of its own to perform a run-off-the-mill function?
    > You mean, it's an apple app? Really?
    >
    > Well, that explains it. "Apple quality" at its finest. It not only needs a
    > device driver to perform its functions (which should never include such

    That's Windows for you. It's always needed 3rd party software
    to caulk up the cracks. Nero is another example of this. I bet it
    installs it's own supervisor mode stuff too.

    --
    vi isn't easy to use. |||
    / | \