andLinux - Linux

This is a discussion on andLinux - Linux ; A guy at work told me about "andLinux", and showed me how it integrates an Ubuntu environment into his Windows desktop. It looked pretty cool. http://www.andlinux.org/ andLinux is a complete Ubuntu Linux system running seamlessly in Windows 2000 based systems ...

  1. andLinux

    A guy at work told me about "andLinux", and showed me how it integrates
    an Ubuntu environment into his Windows desktop.

    It looked pretty cool.

    http://www.andlinux.org/

    andLinux is a complete Ubuntu Linux system running seamlessly in
    Windows 2000 based systems (2000, XP, 2003, Vista; 32-bit versions
    only). This project was started for Dynamism for the GP2X
    community, but its userbase far exceeds its original design. andLinux
    is free and will remain so, but donations are greatly needed.

    andLinux uses coLinux as its core which is confusing for many people.
    coLinux is a port of the Linux kernel to Windows. Although this
    technology is a bit like running Linux in a virtual machine, coLinux
    differs itself by being more of a merger of Windows and the Linux
    kernel and not an emulated PC, making it more efficient. Xming is
    used as X server and PulseAudio as sound server.

    andLinux is not just for development and runs almost all Linux
    applications without modification.

    Anybody used this thing? And have any functional comparison to
    Cygwin/X?

    Right now I use Cygwin on the one true XP box I have at work. (It's nice
    to be able to run xpdf instead of Adobe Reader bloatware.)

    --
    Ya'll hear about the geometer who went to the beach to catch some
    rays and became a tangent ?

  2. Re: andLinux

    On 2008-09-11, Linonut wrote:
    > A guy at work told me about "andLinux", and showed me how it integrates
    > an Ubuntu environment into his Windows desktop.
    >
    > It looked pretty cool.
    >
    > http://www.andlinux.org/
    >
    > andLinux is a complete Ubuntu Linux system running seamlessly in
    > Windows 2000 based systems (2000, XP, 2003, Vista; 32-bit versions
    > only). This project was started for Dynamism for the GP2X
    > community, but its userbase far exceeds its original design. andLinux
    > is free and will remain so, but donations are greatly needed.
    >
    > andLinux uses coLinux as its core which is confusing for many people.
    > coLinux is a port of the Linux kernel to Windows. Although this
    > technology is a bit like running Linux in a virtual machine, coLinux
    > differs itself by being more of a merger of Windows and the Linux
    > kernel and not an emulated PC, making it more efficient. Xming is
    > used as X server and PulseAudio as sound server.
    >
    > andLinux is not just for development and runs almost all Linux
    > applications without modification.
    >
    > Anybody used this thing? And have any functional comparison to
    > Cygwin/X?
    >
    > Right now I use Cygwin on the one true XP box I have at work. (It's nice
    > to be able to run xpdf instead of Adobe Reader bloatware.)

    I haven't tried it - but, now that I know about it I might I did give
    coLinux a try a couple of years ago. Seemed ok at the time...

    --
    Tom Shelton

  3. Re: andLinux

    * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Anybody used this thing? And have any functional comparison to
    >> Cygwin/X?
    >>
    >> Right now I use Cygwin on the one true XP box I have at work. (It's nice
    >> to be able to run xpdf instead of Adobe Reader bloatware.)

    > I haven't tried it - but, now that I know about it I might I did give
    > coLinux a try a couple of years ago. Seemed ok at the time...

    Cool.

    -- Arthur C. Clarke

+ Reply to Thread