[News] CERN Uses GNU/Linux to Analyze and Experiment - Linux

  1. [News] CERN Uses GNU/Linux to Analyze and Experiment

    Large Hadron Collider - powered by Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The most powerful physics project in the history of the known universe - The
    | $10 Billion Large Hadron Collider (LHC)- shot its first light speed beam this
    | morning around its 27 km circuit. Beyond the 20 years it took to build and
    | half of all the world's astrophysicists, it also takes another key ingredient
    | to make LHC work -- Linux.
    `----

    http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...---powere.html

    VMware Fusion Helps CERN Physicists Analyze Data From Coolest Place on Earth

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | VMware, Inc., (NYSE:VMW), the global leader in virtualization solutions from
    | the desktop to the datacenter, today announced physicists at CERN, the
    | European Organization for Nuclear Research and the world's leading laboratory
    | for particle physics, use VMware Fusion to share Linux-based computer code
    | via VMware virtual machines running on Apple hardware.
    `----

    http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...34&newsLang=en

    Recent:

    Scientific Linux 5.2 Live CD Works in Persistent Mode

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Compared with the previous version, Scientific Linux 5.2 Live CD/DVD works in
    | persistent mode, which means that it will store/restore your settings if you
    | run it from an USB flash drive. Also, this new feature will allow you to
    | carry the USB stick with you, and boot from it whenever you need a stable and
    | reliable operating system.
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Scien...de-91982.shtml

    Related:

    Computing Grid Helps Get to the Heart of Matter

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At CERN, the PCs, CPU servers and disks are linked on a 1G-bps
    | network provided by Hewlett-Packard ProCurve switches. CERN
    | itself will contribute 10 percent of the total necessary
    | processors for the job, including 3,500 PCs and the rest
    | single- or dual-core processors all running a version of Linux
    | called Scientific Linux CERN. CERN will contribute about 8,000
    | processors to the computing tasks.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] CERN Uses GNU/Linux to Analyze and Experiment

    > Large Hadron Collider - powered by Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The most powerful physics project in the history of the known universe - The
    >| $10 Billion Large Hadron Collider (LHC)- shot its first light speed beam this
    >| morning around its 27 km circuit. Beyond the 20 years it took to build and
    >| half of all the world's astrophysicists, it also takes another key ingredient
    >| to make LHC work -- Linux.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...---powere.html

    Maybe our own Hadron should look into Scientific Linux:

    https://www.scientificlinux.org/

    The blog above contains a correction:

    **UPDATED** Got a comment (listed below) from a commenter with an IP
    within CERN that writes,".. the primary configuration for machines in
    the LHC computing grid (http://lcg.web.cern.ch/LCG/) is based on
    Scientific Linux distribution running directly on the hardware. This
    grid is used to receive and distribute the 15PB of data across the
    100,000s of CPUs across the world" **

    --
    Your temporary financial embarrassment will be relieved in a surprising manner.

  3. Re: [News] CERN Uses GNU/Linux to Analyze and Experiment

    ____/ Linonut on Thursday 11 September 2008 12:23 : \____

    >> Large Hadron Collider - powered by Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The most powerful physics project in the history of the known universe -
    >>| The $10 Billion Large Hadron Collider (LHC)- shot its first light speed
    >>| beam this morning around its 27 km circuit. Beyond the 20 years it took to
    >>| build and half of all the world's astrophysicists, it also takes another
    >>| key ingredient to make LHC work -- Linux.
    >> `----

    http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...---powere.html

    > Maybe our own Hadron should look into Scientific Linux:
    >
    > https://www.scientificlinux.org/

    Aye.

    Large Hadron Collider runs Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The $10 billion Large Hadron Collider (LHC) project which fired its first
    | shot yesterday around its 27km circuit, runs Linux.
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3006

    Send the Munchkin on route to massive collision.

    > The blog above contains a correction:
    >
    > **UPDATED** Got a comment (listed below) from a commenter with an IP
    > within CERN that writes,".. the primary configuration for machines in
    > the LHC computing grid (http://lcg.web.cern.ch/LCG/) is based on
    > Scientific Linux distribution running directly on the hardware. This
    > grid is used to receive and distribute the 15PB of data across the
    > 100,000s of CPUs across the world" **

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=it_blogwatch

    "The U.S. portion of the global grid is a computational and data storage
    infrastructure made up of more than 25,000 computers and 43,000 CPUs. The
    mostly Linux-based machines are linked into the grid from universities, the
    U.S. Department of Energy, the National Science Foundation and software
    development groups. Pordes also said the U.S. grid offers up about 300,000
    compute hours a day with 70% of it going to the particle collider project.'

    http://www.linux-mag.com/id/6844

    ""Much of this huge endeavor is based on GNU/Linux, Globus, Condor, and a slew
    of other middle-ware packages. That “open thing” again, it just seems to make
    those world changing monumental scientific projects works a little better."

    Not bad for 'slopware' from pimple-faced kids in mom's garage, eh? That's what
    Microsoft tells us anyway...

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Web 2.0 is everything that can be spammed" --Unknown

+ Reply to Thread