Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works! - Linux ; Actually, the installation itself was only 20 minutes. But installing the other software I want, and setting up the web server and print server, took the rest of the time. The other software I refer to was not contained in ...

  1. Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works!

    Actually, the installation itself was only 20 minutes. But installing
    the other software I want, and setting up the web server and print
    server, took the rest of the time. The other software I refer to
    was not contained in the default Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron installation
    DVD, so I had to activate repositories and install it. That included
    some proprietary software, as well as multimedia stuff. For the
    multimedia stuff I followed the howto on the Ubuntu web site, mostly
    cutting and pasting some commands. Proprietary stuff included Adobe
    acrobat. Had to download and install and then configure Thunderbird
    to access my email (since I prefer Thunderbird). Also installed TeX/
    LaTeX, which took some configuration to get the paths etc the way I
    want them (and TeX/LaTeX use kpathsea, which takes some figuring
    out.) Also installed gcc, man pages, emacs and some Xlib stuff for
    basic development. Twiddled with gnome to get the desktop the way I
    want it. Put in some alias commands in the .bashrc file for safer
    operation. Installed apache for the web server, configuring it (my
    needs are simple) was easy. Had to read a howto to figure out how to
    set up the print server, but in the end it was just 3 clicks of the
    mouse (had to also configure the clients, but they were just as
    easy). Installed a variety of other software from the Ubuntu
    repositories. Set up several user accounts. Altogether about 7
    hours.

    No crashes/freezes yet, it's been 2 weeks. System easily handles
    several apps at once, eg Thunderbird+Firefox+acrobat+Openoffice+gv
    +emacs+terminals is fairly common. No crashes on moving mouse, moving/
    resizing windows, etc. Web server and print server are working doing
    great duty for a variety of users and clients.

  2. Re: Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works!

    On 2008-09-10, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu claimed:
    > Actually, the installation itself was only 20 minutes.

    Well, I got a machine with Fisted already installed. And it _still_
    took 3.5 hours to get where I could do anything with it. Also, I never
    installed a single thing on Vister. Once the backup was done, it was
    wiped.

    Now the backup is in a landfill someplace, along with a likely
    large number of other backups and restore media with that abomination
    on them.

    --
    Using Windows is the equivalent of putting on spike heels, fishnets,
    and a bustier, walking down to the corner of Virus St and Trojan Ave,

  3. Re: Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works!

  4. Re: Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works!

    > When I set up this machine I only needed to copy my home directory over (KDE
    > 3.5 -> KDE 3.5) and it was all set up. Missing applications can be ticked in
    > the package managers and then be installed all at the same time. I think it
    > needn't take more than 1 hour. Opening cardboard boxes and stuff can take
    > longer.

    That's the point! With Linux, you don't get the joy of opening
    packages!

    With Windows, it's like Christmas!

    --
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose -- until you lose.

  5. Re: Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works!

    On 2008-09-11, Linonut claimed:

    >> When I set up this machine I only needed to copy my home directory over (KDE
    >> 3.5 -> KDE 3.5) and it was all set up. Missing applications can be ticked in
    >> the package managers and then be installed all at the same time. I think it
    >> needn't take more than 1 hour. Opening cardboard boxes and stuff can take
    >> longer.

    > That's the point! With Linux, you don't get the joy of opening
    > packages!
    >
    > With Windows, it's like Christmas!

    With every box equal to two lumps of coal.

    Plus you get to pay for it all yourself. Nothing is given as a gift,
    although some claim you get discounts or "free" goodies when you
    overpay for the items.

    Your "gift list" consists of one person: you. You really can't afford
    to equip every person you know with a full office suite, anti-virus,
    graphics packages that do some real graphics work (ergo, *not* Paint),
    media burners and rippers, and all of the other things needed to make
    the machine useful.

    Windows: The "Christmas? Bah! Humbug!" of the computing world.

    --
    I used to be all over Windows. Now I'm *really* over Windows!

  6. Re: Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works!

  7. Re: Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works!

    On 2008-09-11, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > ____/ Sinister Midget on Thursday 11 September 2008 12:15 : \____
    >
    >> On 2008-09-11, Linonut claimed:

    >>> With Windows, it's like Christmas!

    >> With every box equal to two lumps of coal.
    >>
    >> Plus you get to pay for it all yourself. Nothing is given as a gift,
    >> although some claim you get discounts or "free" goodies when you
    >> overpay for the items.
    >>
    >> Your "gift list" consists of one person: you. You really can't afford
    >> to equip every person you know with a full office suite, anti-virus,
    >> graphics packages that do some real graphics work (ergo, *not* Paint),
    >> media burners and rippers, and all of the other things needed to make
    >> the machine useful.
    >>
    >> Windows: The "Christmas? Bah! Humbug!" of the computing world.

    > With Free software, you can duplicate your one gift (kind of like in Star Wars)
    > and spread it all over town. You can even prepare your own 'spin'.

    As I've done. Spread it around that is, not spin my own. But sometime I
    might do that part, too.

    --
    Exxon sponsored ecology videos, Kraft sponsored nutrition videos...
    I'd be surprised if Microsoft isn't sponsoring technology classes.

  8. Re: Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works!

    Of course most Windows owners never install it, it comes with the
    machine they buy. But, as you say, with almost no useful apps. But
    if Windows is factory installed, you can bet it will come with
    mountains of bloatware---trial subscriptions etc that the manufacturer
    has loaded on because they get paid to do so. I understand people are
    now paying various services to remove this junk from their fresh
    Windows machines.

  9. Re: Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works!

    On 2008-09-11, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu claimed:
    > Of course most Windows owners never install it, it comes with the
    > machine they buy. But, as you say, with almost no useful apps. But
    > if Windows is factory installed, you can bet it will come with
    > mountains of bloatware---trial subscriptions etc that the manufacturer
    > has loaded on because they get paid to do so. I understand people are
    > now paying various services to remove this junk from their fresh
    > Windows machines.

    So, buyers overpay for crapware, but it gets disguised by including it
    in the purchase price of the machine. Then they overpay some more to
    get the garbage removed that helps to disguise the true cost of the
    crapware because the OEM is subsidized by the people who want that
    worthless trialware crap on the machine. Later they pay some sweaty
    "technician" to clean out the inevitable garbage that builds up after
    using the machine for a few months, allowing the "technician" access to
    accounts, porn pictures, usernames, financial information and all the
    rest.

    This is somehow viewed as normal by a large number of people? Are
    people so bad at basic math any more that they can't add up the costs
    to see how much crappy Windwoes really costs? Are people so very numbed
    by all of the intrusiveness of criminal monopolies and privacy thieves
    that they can't see what they're giving up?

    --
    Windows: So easy to admin, even a worm can do it.

  10. Re: Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works!

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 07:41:37 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    >> When I set up this machine I only needed to copy my home directory over (KDE
    >> 3.5 -> KDE 3.5) and it was all set up. Missing applications can be ticked in
    >> the package managers and then be installed all at the same time. I think it
    >> needn't take more than 1 hour. Opening cardboard boxes and stuff can take
    >> longer.

    > That's the point! With Linux, you don't get the joy of opening
    > packages!

    Heel Linonut!
    Heel!

    > With Windows, it's like Christmas!

    Linux is more like Hanukkah.
    A new surprise for the poor user every one of the eight days!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works!

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:40:39 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > With Free software, you can duplicate your one gift (kind of like in Star Wars)
    > and spread it all over town. You can even prepare your own 'spin'.

    Yea.
    Kind of like syphilis.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb