    getting opensuse 10.3 to work."

    http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

  2. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On 2008-09-10, DFS wrote:
    > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    > getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >
    > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    You seem to be recycling material already...

    --

    It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.

    They brought us the email virus.

    In my Atari days, such a notion would have |||
    been considered a complete absurdity. / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    > getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >
    > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    A week?

    I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    completely and go to Windows.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    >> getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>
    >> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    > A week?
    >
    > I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    > would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    > another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    > completely and go to Windows.

    Maybe an uber "power user" like 7 could help?

    --
    "I hate Linux and Linux advocacy I hate Linux and Linux
    advocacy I hate Linux and Linux advocacy "

  5. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:14:35 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard
    >> work getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>
    >> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    > A week?
    >
    > I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    > would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    > another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    > completely and go to Windows.

    Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active Linux
    distributions, though there is much duplication in the count - e.g. all
    the Ubuntu variants.

    Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier to
    deal with.

  6. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    ray writes:

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:14:35 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard
    >>> work getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>>
    >>> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    >> A week?
    >>
    >> I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    >> would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    >> another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    >> completely and go to Windows.

    > Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active Linux
    > distributions, though there is much duplication in the count - e.g. all
    > the Ubuntu variants.
    >
    > Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier to
    > deal with.

    Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    --
    "I hate Linux and Linux advocacy I hate Linux and Linux
    advocacy I hate Linux and Linux advocacy "
    -- High Plains Thumper in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  7. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On 2008-09-10, Hadron wrote:
    > ray writes:

    >>> A week?
    >>>
    >>> I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    >>> would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    >>> another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    >>> completely and go to Windows.

    >> Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active Linux
    >> distributions, though there is much duplication in the count - e.g. all
    >> the Ubuntu variants.
    >>
    >> Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier to
    >> deal with.

    > Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    Without any prior knowledge, I would start with those that sell
    themselves on being suitable for end user desktop and laptop use
    rather than being replacements for AIX or Solaris.

    --

    Linux: Because I don't want to push pretty buttons. |||
    I want the pretty buttons to push themelves. / | \

  8. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:40:17 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    >>> getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>>
    >>> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    >> A week?
    >>
    >> I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    >> would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    >> another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    >> completely and go to Windows.

    > Maybe an uber "power user" like 7 could help?

    Sounds like a task for all of those nano-bots he has running around!
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > Hadron quacked:
    >>
    >> ray writes:
    >>>
    >>> Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active Linux
    >>> distributions, though there is much duplication in the count - e.g. all
    >>> the Ubuntu variants.
    >>>
    >>> Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier to
    >>> deal with.

    >> Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    > Without any prior knowledge, I would start with those that sell
    >themselves on being suitable for end user desktop and laptop use
    >rather than being replacements for AIX or Solaris.

    No doubt, some hardware and some distros are not real "happy" with
    each other. We wish this was not so, but it is. This does not
    reflect poorly on Linux itself, of course.

    There's lots of hardware to choose from that "just works" with most
    modern desktop/laptop distros.

    --
    "Microsoft chooses to break the law when it suits them. Does that make
    them a bad corporation?" - Oliver Wong

  10. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    "Moshe Goldfarb." schreef in bericht
    news:59g1qjxxe13b$.1a5rrvbwz67b3$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:40:17 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >>> A week?
    >>>
    >>> I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    >>> would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    >>> another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    >>> completely and go to Windows.

    >> Maybe an uber "power user" like 7 could help?

    > Sounds like a task for all of those nano-bots he has running around!

    lol
    He has "Fractalrobots" running around as well!
    http://web.tiscali.it/fractalrobot/joe.gif
    http://tinyurl.com/67ckc8
    Second speaker was Joseph Michael, who does research at the Robodyne
    Cybernetics in London. He demonstrated a prototype of one - to own say -
    revolutionary invention: a robot on the basis of the fractal technology.
    --

    "Robodyne Cybernetics is offering a NEW TECHNOLOGY that is BIGGER than
    anything else before it. It is bigger than Microsoft, its bigger than IBM,

    Signed, 7 AKA J. MICHAEL, king of retards.
    A Lifelong Windows Developer
    Pretend Linux "Advocate"
    Obsessive Freeloader
    Failed Promoter Of Proprietary, Patented Schemes
    All Around Fraud And Hypocrite

  11. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:13:40 +0200, Clogwog wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." schreef in bericht
    > news:59g1qjxxe13b$.1a5rrvbwz67b3$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    >>> Maybe an uber "power user" like 7 could help?

    >> Sounds like a task for all of those nano-bots he has running around!

    > lol
    > He has "Fractalrobots" running around as well!
    > http://web.tiscali.it/fractalrobot/joe.gif
    > http://tinyurl.com/67ckc8
    > Second speaker was Joseph Michael, who does research at the Robodyne
    > Cybernetics in London. He demonstrated a prototype of one - to own say -
    > revolutionary invention: a robot on the basis of the fractal technology.

    It sounds like something I played with as a kid back in the 1960s.
    A box filled with magnets that would make different designs depending upon
    how you shook the box.
    You could also use a magnetic wand underneath and move the magnets around
    manually.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    >> getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>
    >> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    > A week?
    >
    > I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    > would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    > another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    > completely and go to Windows.

    Some people have had Windows for years and still can't make it work right.

  13. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:00:06 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > ray writes:

    >>> A week?
    >>>
    >>> I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    >>> would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    >>> another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    >>> completely and go to Windows.

    >> Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active
    >> Linux distributions, though there is much duplication in the count -
    >> e.g. all the Ubuntu variants.
    >>
    >> Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier
    >> to deal with.

    > Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

  14. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    Claude Hopper wrote:

    > Some people have had Windows for years and still can't make it work right.

    Microsoft can't make it work right. What chance does a poor end user have?

    ....Kevin
    --
    Kevin Miller
    http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

  15. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    DFS wrote:

    > My

    Hey, bunghole. Still spreading that FUD that Microsoft was never convicted
    of being a monopoly? Stupid bastard.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....EARTH is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can

    Good to the last supper

  16. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > forget about Linux completely and go to Windows.

    Do that, and get the hell out of here, flatfarb.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....EARTH is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can

    Good to the last supper

  17. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    Hadron wrote:

    > Maybe an uber "power user" like 7 could help?

    Or a Linux master like you, Quirk.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....EARTH is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can

    Good to the last supper

  18. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    Hadron wrote:

    > Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    Why do you care, assmunch?
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....So many books; So little time.

    Good to the last supper

  19. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    ray writes:

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:00:06 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> ray writes:

    >>> Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active
    >>> Linux distributions, though there is much duplication in the count -
    >>> e.g. all the Ubuntu variants.
    >>>
    >>> Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier
    >>> to deal with.

    >> Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    > Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    I guess choice is a good thing. Personally I looked for one that worked
    and was stable and with which I could run applications to do my work

    After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases I
    settled on Debian testing. It will go "stable" soon and then I will
    freeze on Lenny.

    --
    "Every piece of evidence I've heard from developers inside Microsoft
    supports my theory that the company has become completely tangled up in

  20. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    * Tattoo Vampire peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> My

    > Hey, bunghole. Still spreading that FUD that Microsoft was never convicted
    > of being a monopoly? Stupid bastard.

    He's the DFS Scarecrow. (Thanks, 7!)

    --
    Extreme feminine beauty is always disturbing.
    -- Spock, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5818.4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast