Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works! - Linux ; JEDIDIAH wrote: > On 2008-09-10, DFS wrote: >> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work >> getting opensuse 10.3 to work." >> >> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815 > You seem to be recycling material already... After a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

  1. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-09-10, DFS wrote:
    >> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    >> getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>
    >> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    > You seem to be recycling material already...

    After a long and arduous quest, he managed to collect a few dozen Linux
    problem stories. And then I guess he found out how to use a cron job to
    repost each of these at regular intervals.

    Interestingly enough, the subject line actually holds true in this case --
    a completely operational machine after thirty minutes install time is the
    average Linux user's experience.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  2. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    * Tattoo Vampire peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe an uber "power user" like 7 could help?

    > Or a Linux master like you, Quirk.

    http://hanginginthere247.blogspot.co...cs-digest.html

    If they want a stable development machine where they are developing
    non MS specific tech then its also great - emacs, gdb, python, ruby etc
    etc.

    Not so great if you want to install tuxguitar from the debian
    repositories and run it from the menu or command line (FYI I just
    spent about 2 hours trying to get Java patched up and working - its
    hosed)

    I tried removing eclipse. Nothing. But Google is my friend. And this
    shows how few people use this stuff. It simply does not work from the
    debian packages.

    Meanwhile, I installed it and ran it just fine on 32-bit and 64-bit
    Debian.

    To be fair to Hadrone Queeg, though, it does sound like an Eclipse 3.3
    install got in the way. On this 64-bit machine, it's version 3.2 and a bad
    library doesn't affect tuxguitar.

    I'm proud of Queeg for Googling for the solution, by the way. Of course,
    if he had run "ldd /usr/bin/tuxguitar", he'd have found out it was a script,
    and then he could read it and see all the java versions it is trying
    to account for, instead of thrashing around with Eclipse.

    It's one thing to be a helpless newbie. It's another thing to dick
    around with bleeding-edge versions on your system and then try to point
    fingers at the distro for problems you yourself caused.

    Queeg, indeed.

    --
    To lose weight, eat less; to gain weight, eat more; if you merely
    wish to maintain, do whatever you were doing.

  3. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:52:18 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    > Why do you care, assmunch?

    Because Quack doesn't know enough about *any*, & is jealous of those that
    do!

  4. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 01:02:21 +0000, ray wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:00:06 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> ray writes:

    >>> Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active
    >>> Linux distributions, though there is much duplication in the count -
    >>> e.g. all the Ubuntu variants.
    >>>
    >>> Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier
    >>> to deal with.

    >> Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    > Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    Mandriva, K/Ubuntu, Debian, PCLOS, Linux Mint, OpenSuSE, Knoppix.
    PC-BSD, OpenBSD.

    (BTW, anyone notice that about half way into this thread, Moshe Flatfish
    Goldfarb crossposted into a SuSE group?)

  5. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    William Poaster wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 01:02:21 +0000, ray wrote:

    >>> Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    >> Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    > Mandriva, K/Ubuntu, Debian, PCLOS, Linux Mint, OpenSuSE, Knoppix.
    > PC-BSD, OpenBSD.
    >
    > (BTW, anyone notice that about half way into this thread, Moshe Flatfish
    > Goldfarb crossposted into a SuSE group?)

    Standard procedure for flatfish
    He also likes to crosspost to ubuntu and windows groups.
    Preferrably with threads which have nothing to do with either
    --
    Only two things are infinite,
    the Universe and Stupidity.

  6. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-09-10, DFS wrote:
    >>> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of
    >>> hard work getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>>
    >>> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    >> You seem to be recycling material already...

    > After a long and arduous quest, he managed to collect a few dozen
    > Linux problem stories. And then I guess he found out how to use a
    > cron job to repost each of these at regular intervals.
    >
    > Interestingly enough, the subject line actually holds true in this
    > case -- a completely operational machine after thirty minutes install
    > time is the average Linux user's experience.

    Only a few million exceptionally lucky users get the full-on
    freezing/glitchy/hanging/stuttering/fail-to-detect Linux experience.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,260,000 for Linux freezes.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 2,100,000 for Linux hangs.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 3,540,000 for Linux locks up
    Results 1 - 10 of about 4,490,000 for Linux crashes
    Results 1 - 10 of about 893,000 for Linux failed to detect.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,120,000 for Ubuntu freezes
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,100,000 for Debian freezes

  7. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 01:02:21 +0000, ray wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    >> Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    > Mandriva, K/Ubuntu, Debian, PCLOS, Linux Mint, OpenSuSE, Knoppix.
    > PC-BSD, OpenBSD.

    In chronological order: Red Hat, Mandrake (very briefly), Debian,
    FreeBSD, and Gentoo.

    > (BTW, anyone notice that about half way into this thread, Moshe Flatfish
    > Goldfarb crossposted into a SuSE group?)

    You have to watch your headers when flatfish and Noballs Nescio are
    around. NN cross-posted his insult to a debian newsgroup, and I had to
    quickly go there and kill my first response.

    --
    Did you know the University of Iowa closed down after someone stole the book?

  8. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On 2008-09-11, Hadron wrote:
    > ray writes:

    >>> Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    >> Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    > I guess choice is a good thing. Personally I looked for one that worked
    > and was stable and with which I could run applications to do my work
    >
    > After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases I

    Quit trying to pretend you're an actual Linux user while spreading
    this obvious bit of FUD. All you're doing here is just trying to parot
    the anti-ubuntu hysteria that the other Lemmings try to whip up.

    > settled on Debian testing. It will go "stable" soon and then I will
    > freeze on Lenny.

    Debian testing

    --
    Apple: because TRANS.TBL is an mp3 file. It really is! |||
    / | \

  9. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:17:38 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-09-11, Hadron wrote:
    >> ray writes:

    >>> Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    >> I guess choice is a good thing. Personally I looked for one that worked
    >> and was stable and with which I could run applications to do my work
    >>
    >> After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases I

    > Quit trying to pretend you're an actual Linux user while spreading
    > this obvious bit of FUD. All you're doing here is just trying to parot
    > the anti-ubuntu hysteria that the other Lemmings try to whip up.

    "After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases"
    LOL!

    *They* had had enough of *him* & many were binning him. Quack's like
    Michael Snit Glasser, it's their attitude that sucks.

    >> settled on Debian testing. It will go "stable" soon and then I will
    >> freeze on Lenny.

    > Debian testing

    Yeah.

  10. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:34:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > ray writes:

    >>> Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to
    >>> comment?

    >> Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    > I guess choice is a good thing. Personally I looked for one that worked
    > and was stable and with which I could run applications to do my work
    >
    > After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases I
    > settled on Debian testing. It will go "stable" soon and then I will
    > freeze on Lenny.

    I use Ubuntu mostly - two desktops and my laptop - but i wait a while
    after each new release. Also forgot to mention the Gentoo on my mini-itx.

  11. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:17:38 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-11, Hadron wrote:

    > "After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases"
    > LOL!
    >
    > *They* had had enough of *him* & many were binning him. Quack's like
    > Michael Snit Glasser, it's their attitude that sucks.
    >
    >>> settled on Debian testing. It will go "stable" soon and then I will
    >>> freeze on Lenny.

    >> Debian testing

    > Yeah.

    Well, Queeg /is/ a "program manager", after all.

    "Hey, Jürgen, now which program shall we watch?"

    --
    RFC 882 put the dot in .com, not Sun Microsystems
    -- Seen on Slashdot

  12. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On 2008-09-11, ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:34:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> ray writes:

    >>> Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    >> I guess choice is a good thing. Personally I looked for one that worked
    >> and was stable and with which I could run applications to do my work
    >>
    >> After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases I
    >> settled on Debian testing. It will go "stable" soon and then I will
    >> freeze on Lenny.

    > I use Ubuntu mostly - two desktops and my laptop - but i wait a while
    > after each new release. Also forgot to mention the Gentoo on my mini-itx.

    ....you would think a guy that has worked in the industry would
    be aware of the whole "lets wait awhile" and "let's not be the
    guinea pigs" mindset that you tend to see with most serious
    (corporate) users.

    --

    Linux: Because I don't want to push pretty buttons. |||
    I want the pretty buttons to push themelves. / | \

  13. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    DFS wrote:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> You seem to be recycling material already...

    >> After a long and arduous quest, he managed to collect a few dozen
    >> Linux problem stories. And then I guess he found out how to use a
    >> cron job to repost each of these at regular intervals.
    >>
    >> Interestingly enough, the subject line actually holds true in this
    >> case -- a completely operational machine after thirty minutes install
    >> time is the average Linux user's experience.

    > Only a few million exceptionally lucky users get the full-on
    > freezing/glitchy/hanging/stuttering/fail-to-detect Linux experience.

    > Results 1 - 10 of about 1,260,000 for Linux freezes.

    And once again you demonstrate your ineptness at using Google.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 3,370 for "Linux freezes"
    Results 1 - 10 of about 466 for "Linux freezes" DFS

    It appears that you alone are responsible for well over 10% of all
    these "Linux freezes" hits ... well done, that man.

    [snip rest of incompetent messing around with Google]

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  14. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:18:26 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-09-11, ray wrote:

    >>> I guess choice is a good thing. Personally I looked for one that
    >>> worked and was stable and with which I could run applications to do my
    >>> work
    >>>
    >>> After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases
    >>> I settled on Debian testing. It will go "stable" soon and then I will
    >>> freeze on Lenny.

    >> I use Ubuntu mostly - two desktops and my laptop - but i wait a while
    >> after each new release. Also forgot to mention the Gentoo on my
    >> mini-itx.

    > ...you would think a guy that has worked in the industry would be aware
    > of the whole "lets wait awhile" and "let's not be the guinea pigs"
    > mindset that you tend to see with most serious (corporate) users.

    I had a few minor problems some time back when I upgraded Ubuntu quite
    soon after release. Nothing we like what we used to see with DEC -
    particularly on RSX-11 and RT-11.

  15. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    * ray peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > I had a few minor problems some time back when I upgraded Ubuntu quite
    > soon after release. Nothing we like what we used to see with DEC -
    > particularly on RSX-11 and RT-11.

    You /old/ bastard!

    --
    Theory is gray, but the golden tree of life is green.
    -- Goethe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2