[News] [Rival] Microsoft’s Linux-hostile Silverlight Already "Dumped" by (MS)NBC - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft’s Linux-hostile Silverlight Already "Dumped" by (MS)NBC

    NBC dumps Microsoft’s Silverlight after Olympics; goes back to Adobe’s Flash
    for NFL

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "NBC just finished broadcasting the Olympics online with Microsoft's
    | Silverlight video technology, but the network and the NFL are turning back to
    | Adobe's Flash for live streaming of Sunday Night Football this fall, and
    | started tonight with the season opener between the NY Giants and the
    | Washington Redskins," Michael Learmonth reports for Silicon Alley Insider.
    `----

    http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/18371/

    Recent:

    Salesforce Says No to Silverlight

    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application...o-Silverlight/

    Related:

    Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
    | finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
    | hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
    | wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
    | Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
    | multimedia over the Internet.
    `----

    Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This browser add-on enables rendering of WPF content, but
    | "Everywhere" doesn't include Linux.
    `----

    ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS...ack/1169824569

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/2000/PX02991.pdf

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft?s Linux-hostile Silverlight Already "Dumped" by (MS)NBC

    > NBC dumps Microsoft?s Silverlight after Olympics; goes back to Adobe?s Flash
    > for NFL
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| "NBC just finished broadcasting the Olympics online with Microsoft's
    >| Silverlight video technology, but the network and the NFL are turning back to
    >| Adobe's Flash for live streaming of Sunday Night Football this fall, and
    >| started tonight with the season opener between the NY Giants and the
    >| Washington Redskins," Michael Learmonth reports for Silicon Alley Insider.
    > `----
    >
    > http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/18371/

    "The Olympics online were a joint production between NBC and Microsoft,
    and an opportunity for Microsoft to build a user base for
    Sillverlight, its new media player. But Flash has a much larger
    installed base: Adobe says it's installed on 98% of
    Internet-connected desktops," Learmonth reports.

    Imagine that, a "monopoly" built by people choosing Flash (which, by the
    way, is a bane as far as I'm concerned; I'll bet blind people
    really enjoy Flash sites.)

    "Microsoft, meanwhile, said that during the Olympics, 40 million US
    to visitors NBCOlympics.com didn't yet have Silverlight installed,"
    Learmonth reports.

    40M. That's a lot of visitors to diss and piss off.

    --

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft?s Linux-hostile Silverlight Already "Dumped" by (MS)NBC

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft?s Linux-hostile Silverlight Already "Dumped" by (MS)NBC

    Linonut wrote:

    >> NBC dumps Microsoft?s Silverlight after Olympics; goes back to Adobe?s
    >> Flash for NFL
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| "NBC just finished broadcasting the Olympics online with Microsoft's
    >>| Silverlight video technology, but the network and the NFL are turning
    >>| back to Adobe's Flash for live streaming of Sunday Night Football this
    >>| fall, and started tonight with the season opener between the NY Giants
    >>| and the Washington Redskins," Michael Learmonth reports for Silicon
    >>| Alley Insider.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/18371/

    > "The Olympics online were a joint production between NBC and Microsoft,
    > and an opportunity for Microsoft to build a user base for
    > Sillverlight, its new media player. But Flash has a much larger
    > installed base: Adobe says it's installed on 98% of
    > Internet-connected desktops," Learmonth reports.
    >
    > Imagine that, a "monopoly" built by people choosing Flash (which, by the
    > way, is a bane as far as I'm concerned; I'll bet blind people
    > really enjoy Flash sites.)
    >
    > "Microsoft, meanwhile, said that during the Olympics, 40 million US
    > to visitors NBCOlympics.com didn't yet have Silverlight installed,"
    > Learmonth reports.
    >
    > 40M. That's a lot of visitors to diss and piss off.

    Nah, a few web site visitors aren't important for Microsoft. What IS
    important, is that they're trying to "deliver a world-class shopping
    experience that aligns with the brand promise of our online presence."

    I guess that pushing and then pulling Silverlight media is a good example of
    this strategy. "You really need our stuff to do XYZ -- but once you have
    it, it's no longer any use." Yup, that's the typical "Microsoft brand
    promise" allright.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft?s Linux-hostile Silverlight Already"Dumped" by (MS)NBC

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    > I guess that pushing and then pulling Silverlight media is a good
    > example of this strategy. "You really need our stuff to do XYZ -- but
    > once you have it, it's no longer any use." Yup, that's the typical
    > "Microsoft brand promise" allright.

    Yeah, and everyone who installed it has a computer that much more kludged-
    up, for no good reason.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft?s Linux-hostile Silverlight Already "Dumped" by (MS)NBC

    * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> I guess that pushing and then pulling Silverlight media is a good
    >> example of this strategy. "You really need our stuff to do XYZ -- but
    >> once you have it, it's no longer any use." Yup, that's the typical
    >> "Microsoft brand promise" allright.

    > Yeah, and everyone who installed it has a computer that much more kludged-
    > up, for no good reason.

    In every cloud there's a Silverlight lining

    How appropriate:

    --
    Preudhomme's Law of Window Cleaning:
    It's on the other side.