Smarmy Linux idiot shows his true colors - Linux

This is a discussion on Smarmy Linux idiot shows his true colors - Linux ; * Paul Hovnanian P.E. peremptorily fired off this memo: > Hadron wrote: >> >> Aha. So you wrote a naive app which tried to drown the pipe. Nice. >> >> Your fault. >> >> > All the while I was ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Anti-Linux SCARECROW SOCK DFS rants again

    * Paul Hovnanian P.E. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> Aha. So you wrote a naive app which tried to drown the pipe. Nice.
    >>
    >> Your fault.
    >>
    >> > All the while I was using the same desktop to surf the web, post
    >> > annoying little messages to groups like this about how great Linux is,
    >> > etc.

    >> Better to spend your time working out how to write a real application
    >> which interacts correctly with the running system

    > Why? Can't IIS handle a simple http GET?
    >
    > BTW, I seem to have knocked this site off line:
    >
    > http://search.leg.wa.gov/pub/textsearch/default.asp
    >
    > .asp <= That would be an IIS thing, right?

    Poor Hadron. Effectively says you're doing a DOS attack on a Windows
    server just by doing HTTP GETS from it at a rate that isn't even noticed
    on his client Linux box.

    --

  2. Re: Anti-Linux SCARECROW SOCK DFS rants again

    * Paul Hovnanian P.E. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> * Paul Hovnanian P.E. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >> >
    >> > Well, there was the time I was running a knowledge acquisition system on
    >> > my Linux desktop at Boeing. A Dell 166 Mhz. I needed to fetch a few
    >> > thousand engineering documents off of an IIS server, parse them with a
    >> > natural language recognition app and populate an Oracle database (hosted
    >> > elsewhere). So I wrote a little perl script to automate the process.
    >> > About half an hour into the work, the sys admin for the NT server (a 4
    >> > processor Compaq) came running down the aisle looking for me. He told be
    >> > that my program was fetching documents too fast for his server to keep
    >> > up.

    > I think I was pulling documents off the NT server fast enough that NT
    > couldn't release a lock on them. From what I understood, other users
    > were complaining that they couldn't access the documents.

    Huh? Weren't you just /reading/ them?

    Another disadvantage of Windows.

    --
    "Never make any mistaeks."
    (Anonymous, in a mail discussion about to a kernel bug report.)

  3. Re: Anti-Linux SCARECROW SOCK DFS rants again

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Paul Hovnanian P.E. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > >> * Paul Hovnanian P.E. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > > I think I was pulling documents off the NT server fast enough that NT
    > > couldn't release a lock on them. From what I understood, other users
    > > were complaining that they couldn't access the documents.

    > Huh? Weren't you just /reading/ them?

    I was. But there's no logic to what Windows does at times.

    I'm just guessing about the lock thing, since to me, the system appeared
    to be responding. But other users were complaining.

    > Another disadvantage of Windows.
    >
    > > I don't think it was network bandwidth as I was surfing the web while
    > > keeping one eye on the logs scrolling by.

    > --
    > "Never make any mistaeks."
    > (Anonymous, in a mail discussion about to a kernel bug report.)

    --
    Paul Hovnanian paul@hovnanian.com
    Have gnu, will travel.

  4. Re: Anti-Linux SCARECROW SOCK DFS rants again

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Paul Hovnanian P.E. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > > Hadron wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Aha. So you wrote a naive app which tried to drown the pipe. Nice.
    > >>
    > >> Your fault.

    > >> Better to spend your time working out how to write a real application
    > >> which interacts correctly with the running system

    > > Why? Can't IIS handle a simple http GET?
    > >
    > > BTW, I seem to have knocked this site off line:
    > >
    > > http://search.leg.wa.gov/pub/textsearch/default.asp
    > >
    > > .asp <= That would be an IIS thing, right?

    > Poor Hadron. Effectively says you're doing a DOS attack on a Windows
    > server just by doing HTTP GETS from it at a rate that isn't even noticed
    > on his client Linux box.

    This one wasn't an automated client. I seem to have knocked it off line
    by submitting searches manually.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian paul@hovnanian.com
    Have gnu, will travel.

  5. Re: Anti-Linux SCARECROW SOCK DFS rants again

    * Paul Hovnanian P.E. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > This one wasn't an automated client. I seem to have knocked it off line
    > by submitting searches manually.

    Well then it is your fault for submitting faulty data!

    > Have gnu, will travel.

    Cool.

    --
    Love is what you've been through with somebody.
    -- James Thurber

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2