TC50: Yammer launches as a Twitter for businesses, unless you want the
open-source version

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that the basic features are easy to build — as Rafe Needleman
| worries, over at CNET. Indeed, there’s already an open-source version of this
| type micro-messaging software, that’s been out since January. It’s called
| Prologue, and it was created by blog platform Wordpress (pictured below). Our
| friends at GigaOm have been creating their own custom versions; here’s one
| that lets you see a stream of what the writers over at GigaOm are reading and
| writing.
`----

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/08/ya...-version-here/

Recent:

identi.ca creator Evan Prodromou explains why he's taking on Twitter (video)

,----[ Quote ]
| Bzzz.... bzzz...... bzzz...... That's not the sound of bees. It's the buzz
| surrounding new, open source Twitter competitor identi.ca. Creator Evan
| Prodromou sat down at OSCON in front of Linux.com's video camera and
| explained what identi.ca is all about and why it's suddenly such a hot item
| that he's been meeting with multiple venture capitalists -- and can be
| cavalier enough about those meetings that he canceled one to work on some
| code bugs that were bothering him instead.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/142676

Identi.ca Launches, an Open Source Twitter

,----[ Quote ]
| Evan Prodromou, one of the better citizens of the wiki community and founder
| of WikiTravel, launched Identi.ca today. *Its a Twitter clone that is also
| distributed as Open Source licensed software.
`----

http://ross.typepad.com/blog/2008/07...ca-launch.html

Laconica: Can Open Source Save Twitter?

,----[ Quote ]
| Lots of people are addicted to microblogging service Twitter - including
| substantial chunks of some open source communities. There are a fair number
| of Ruby on Rails developers twittering these days, for example. But Twitter's
| scaling and reliability issues lately have many people wondering whether it's
| time to look for an alternative. Identi.ca, backed by open source package
| Laconica, wants to be that alternative.
`----

http://ostatic.com/167237-blog/lacon...e-save-twitter

Could An Open Source "Twittersphere" Save Twitter? Or Kill It?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/5/c...er_or_kill_it_