How to install "screen(1)" untility in Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on How to install "screen(1)" untility in Linux? - Linux ; Hi guys Could anyone find any pointers on how to install the "screen" unitlity in linux? or is there an appropriate newsgroup i should post? Thanks in advance, Dhilip...

  1. How to install "screen(1)" untility in Linux?

    Hi guys

    Could anyone find any pointers on how to install the "screen"
    unitlity in linux? or is there an appropriate newsgroup i should post?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dhilip

  2. Re: How to install "screen(1)" untility in Linux?

    Dhilip_kumar wrote:
    > Could anyone find any pointers on how to install the "screen"
    > unitlity in linux? or is there an appropriate newsgroup i should post?

    Do you want to install from sources or via a distro? In the first
    case download it from

    http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/screen/screen-4.0.3.tar.gz

    Then unpack it and follow the instructions in the 'INSTALL'
    file. If you want a binary install from your distro you
    will have to tell which one you're using. With Debian/Ubuntu
    it would just do 'apt-get install screen' but with others
    you will need a different method.

    Regards, Jens

  3. Re: How to install "screen(1)" untility in Linux?

    Dhilip_kumar wrote:
    > Could anyone find any pointers on how to install the "screen"
    > unitlity in linux? or is there an appropriate newsgroup i should post?

    comp.os.linux.setup

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  4. Re: How to install "screen(1)" untility in Linux?

    Dhilip writes:
    > Could anyone find any pointers on how to install the "screen" unitlity in
    > linux?

    It is unlikely that the distribution you are using (which you have failed
    to identify) does not include it. Just install it with the package
    manager. On Debian or Ubuntu "sudo apt-get install screen" would do the
    job. On most other distributions the task is equally trivial.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  5. Re: How to install "screen(1)" untility in Linux?

    Dhilip_kumar wrote:

    > Hi guys
    >
    > Could anyone find any pointers on how to install the "screen"
    > unitlity in linux? or is there an appropriate newsgroup i should post?

    Screen is one of the foundation Unix/Linux utilities which
    should be part of every Linux distribution.

    I highly recommend that you install the version of screen that
    your distro supplies. If your distro doesn't have a prepackaged
    binary for screen, I suggest you find a better distro.

    Erik
    Erik de Castro Lopo
    "I've nothing against OO, I do have something against C++. Its a dogs
    dinner. Anyone who's (tried) to read Stroustrups book on C++ like I had
    the misfortune of doing knows that the man is very intelligent but has
    about as much clarity of thought as Timothy Leary on a bad day."
    -- NJR in comp.os.linux.development.apps

  6. Re: How to install "screen(1)" untility in Linux?

    Hi,

    Thanks everyone for the response. I need to install it in my IBM-
    AIX, could'nt get an appropriate newsgroup, so i posted it here
    assuming the installation would be similar. Anyways i will try
    downloading the tar file and follow the instructions.

    Thanks again,
    Dhilip

  7. Re: How to install "screen(1)" untility in Linux?

    Dhilip_kumar wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks everyone for the response. I need to install it in my IBM-
    > AIX, could'nt get an appropriate newsgroup, so i posted it here
    > assuming the installation would be similar. Anyways i will try
    > downloading the tar file and follow the instructions.

    Next time you have a question there are come important bits of information
    you need to supply before anyone can give you a qualified answer...

    And the first one of those is what distribution.

    AIX isn't even LINUX.
    You could've said that y'know.