[News] 20 Reasons to Choose GNU/Linux Over Windows - Linux

  1. [News] 20 Reasons to Choose GNU/Linux Over Windows

    20 reasons to shed the Microsoft yoke and use Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This isn't a matter of belief - just one of pragmatism. I have been running
    | Debian GNU/Linux for the last eight years and some - six years on one PC and
    | the balance on a second one which I upgraded to.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | 19. Freedom: You don't have to register your copy of GNU/Linux. You don't
    | have to validate it. You don't have to call up some faceless entity every
    | time you change to a new PC and want to re-use the same copy. You are your
    | own boss. Even with commercial distributions like Red Hat, you can always opt
    | for CentOS - which is Red Hat minus the trademarks. With Windows, they don't
    | sell freedom.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20528/1148/

    Last week:

    Moving from Mac to Ubuntu: Why I’m switching

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Why I’m leaving Mac
    |
    | * *1. Crap file management.The Finder doesn’t work for me. No location bar
    | * *and no tree strucure side panel makes it difficult to navigate folders and
    | * *move files around the way I want to.
    | * *2. Insufficient panels & customization. In Ubuntu I can have as many
    | * *panels I want, can put all kinds of stuff on them, and can arrange them
    | * *however I want. In OSX You just have the dock, and you can really only put
    | * *applications or files on them, and you can’t even put in a separator to
    | * *keep them organized.
    | * *3. Various other annoyances. Such as:
    | * * * * * * program menus are glued to the top of the screen on one monitor
    | * * * * * only, which detaches them from the window. This is especailly
    | * * * * * annoying when the program you’re using is on the second monitor.
    | * * * * * * the date/time doesn’t open to a navigable calendar. I often use
    | * * * * * this to check dates in the past or future.
    | * * * * * * you can’t see hidden files unless you run a command from the
    | * * * * * terminal to turn them on. Thus, hidden files are either always on
    | * * * * * or always off.
    `----

    http://meganmcdermott.com/2008/08/29...ntu-switching/

    Why Switch to Linux?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In an interesting post on Lifehacker, the editors ask the readers "Why did
    | you switch to Linux?" The question drew quite a lot of interesting responses,
    | including some very offbeat reasons for why people made the switch. If you're
    | under the impression that people switch solely for rebellious or "fight the
    | man" reasons, here are some of the more interesting responses and trends that
    | they point to.
    `----

    http://ostatic.com/172141-blog/why-switch-to-linux

  2. Re: [News] 20 Reasons to Choose GNU/Linux Over Windows

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 06:38:10 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Moving from Mac to Ubuntu: Why Im switching
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Why Im leaving Mac
    >|
    >| * *1. Crap file management.The Finder doesnt work for me. No location bar
    >| * *and no tree strucure side panel makes it difficult to navigate folders and
    >| * *move files around the way I want to.
    >| * *2. Insufficient panels & customization. In Ubuntu I can have as many
    >| * *panels I want, can put all kinds of stuff on them, and can arrange them
    >| * *however I want. In OSX You just have the dock, and you can really only put
    >| * *applications or files on them, and you cant even put in a separator to
    >| * *keep them organized.
    >| * *3. Various other annoyances. Such as:
    >| * * * * * * program menus are glued to the top of the screen on one monitor
    >| * * * * * only, which detaches them from the window. This is especailly
    >| * * * * * annoying when the program youre using is on the second monitor.
    >| * * * * * * the date/time doesnt open to a navigable calendar. I often use
    >| * * * * * this to check dates in the past or future.
    >| * * * * * * you cant see hidden files unless you run a command from the
    >| * * * * * terminal to turn them on. Thus, hidden files are either always on
    >| * * * * * or always off.
    > `----
    >
    > http://megammcdermott.com/2008/08/29...ntu-switching/

    So basically she wants to tinker with themes, colors toolbars and so forth.
    Linux is great for that.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: