Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing - Linux ; And yes, it's about the allegedly $300-million-dollar ad campaign, trying to improve Vista's reputation -- and making a pathetic bellyflop, so far: http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...vista_t_2.html "The background: Windows is losing market share to Apple's Mac OS and even Linux. ... ... the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

  1. Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    And yes, it's about the allegedly $300-million-dollar ad campaign, trying to
    improve Vista's reputation -- and making a pathetic bellyflop, so far:

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...vista_t_2.html

    "The background: Windows is losing market share to Apple's Mac OS and even
    Linux.
    ... the first spot is being greeted with a resounding, "Huh?" "

    And my favourite:

    [Microsoft is,] in the words of Windows senior VP Bill Veghte, trying to
    "deliver a world-class shopping experience that aligns with the brand
    promise of our online presence."

    'nuff said ...

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  2. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    > And yes, it's about the allegedly $300-million-dollar ad campaign, trying
    > to improve Vista's reputation -- and making a pathetic bellyflop, so far:

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...vista_t_2.html

    > "The background: Windows is losing market share to Apple's Mac OS and
    > even
    > Linux.
    > ... the first spot is being greeted with a resounding, "Huh?" "
    >
    > And my favourite:
    >
    > [Microsoft is,] in the words of Windows senior VP Bill Veghte, trying to
    > "deliver a world-class shopping experience that aligns with the brand
    > promise of our online presence."
    >
    > 'nuff said ...

    You almost feel sorry for them.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    On Sep 8, 9:52*pm, RonB wrote:
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    > > And yes, it's about the allegedly $300-million-dollar ad campaign, trying
    > > to improve Vista's reputation -- and making a pathetic bellyflop, so far:

    > http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...09/windows_vis...
    >

    > > *"The background: Windows is losing market share to Apple's Mac OS and
    > > *even
    > > * Linux.
    > > * ...
    > > * ... the first spot is being greeted with a resounding, "Huh?" "

    > > And my favourite:

    > > *[Microsoft is,] in the words of Windows senior VP Bill Veghte, trying to
    > > *"deliver a world-class shopping experience that aligns with the brand
    > > *promise of our online presence."

    > > 'nuff said ...

    > You almost feel sorry for them.
    >
    > --
    > RonB
    > "There's a story there...somewhere"

    The Vista market share is way larger than all Linux distros
    combined... It sucks to be you ;-)

  4. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    On Sep 8, 6:55*pm, shmell_dak...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 8, 9:52*pm, RonB wrote:
    >

    > > Richard Rasker wrote:
    > > > And yes, it's about the allegedly $300-million-dollar ad campaign, trying
    > > > to improve Vista's reputation -- and making a pathetic bellyflop, so far:

    > >http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...09/windows_vis...

    > > > *"The background: Windows is losing market share to Apple's Mac OS and
    > > > *even
    > > > * Linux.
    > > > * ...
    > > > * ... the first spot is being greeted with a resounding, "Huh?" "

    > > > And my favourite:

    > > > *[Microsoft is,] in the words of Windows senior VP Bill Veghte, trying to
    > > > *"deliver a world-class shopping experience that aligns with the brand
    > > > *promise of our online presence."

    > > > 'nuff said ...

    > > You almost feel sorry for them.

    > > --
    > > RonB
    > > "There's a story there...somewhere"

    > The Vista market share is way larger than all Linux distros
    > combined... It sucks to be you ;-)

    Yeah, but it stinks to be you!

  5. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    > And yes, it's about the allegedly $300-million-dollar ad campaign, trying to
    > improve Vista's reputation -- and making a pathetic bellyflop, so far:
    >
    > http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...vista_t_2.html
    >
    > "The background: Windows is losing market share to Apple's Mac OS and even
    > Linux.
    > ... the first spot is being greeted with a resounding, "Huh?" "
    >
    > And my favourite:
    >
    > [Microsoft is,] in the words of Windows senior VP Bill Veghte, trying to
    > "deliver a world-class shopping experience that aligns with the brand
    > promise of our online presence."
    >
    > 'nuff said ...
    >
    > Richard Rasker
    > --
    > http://www.linetec.nl

    "Free pizza" didn't work either.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    Every time Windows crashes, a devil gets his horns.

  6. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    shmell_dakaka@hotmail.com wrote:

    > The Vista market share is way larger than all Linux distros
    > combined... It sucks to be you

    Actually it doesn't. In case this is a newsflash for you, XP's market share
    was much bigger than Linux when I chose Linux.

    Now I've got no constant malware or antivirus updates -- no reboots twice a
    day.

    Actually, I'm sorry to say this, my friend (if you still use Windows), it
    must really suck to be you.

    And I actually *use* Linux. You just seem to be obsessed with it. Got your
    nose smooshed up against the Linux "window" but you're too timid to come
    in.

    Good luck with that.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  7. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

  8. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    On 2008-09-09, RonB claimed:
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> And yes, it's about the allegedly $300-million-dollar ad campaign, trying
    >> to improve Vista's reputation -- and making a pathetic bellyflop, so far:
    >>

    > http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...vista_t_2.html
    >>
    >> "The background: Windows is losing market share to Apple's Mac OS and
    >> even
    >> Linux.
    >> ... the first spot is being greeted with a resounding, "Huh?" "
    >>
    >> And my favourite:
    >>
    >> [Microsoft is,] in the words of Windows senior VP Bill Veghte, trying to
    >> "deliver a world-class shopping experience that aligns with the brand
    >> promise of our online presence."
    >>
    >> 'nuff said ...

    > You almost feel sorry for them.

    Somebody might. I don't.

    --
    I still miss Windows, but my aim is getting better.

  9. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    On Sep 9, 4:55 am, shmell_dak...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 8, 9:52 pm, RonB wrote:

    > The Vista market share is way larger than all Linux distros
    > combined... It sucks to be you ;-)

    Actually, that's part of the problem. In markets where Linux has
    started showing up on retailer shelves, next to Windows XP and Vista
    machines, Linux versions are outselling the equivalent Windows
    machines 6 to 4. ASUS and Acer are getting first hand experience and
    have been surprised by the popularity of Linux.

    While Vista OEMs and Retailers have been reporting horrible losses in
    the PC market, Apple's OS/X based machines are selling as fast as they
    can be made, and at substantial profits. OS/X is based on BSD UNIX.
    Linux is a BSD work-alike.

    Linux appliances out number Windows machines. Remember, Linux powers
    most WiFi hubs, most NAT Routers, many switches, TiVo, DVRs, and
    HDTV. And what Linux doesn't power, is powered by BSD style UNIX
    variants.

    Linux servers have turned out to me very popular in the corporate data
    center, often costing 60-80% less than Windows to deploy, maintain,
    manage, and support, especially over longer periods.

    Many machines purchased with Windows are "enhanced" with Linux. These
    enhancements might include Cygwin, VMWare Player with a Linux VM, or
    Linux as the Native operating system and Windows running as the VM.

    Nobody knows how many of these machines are upgraded by users. There
    are no reliable reports that are widely available to the public. On
    the other hand, Microsoft has the technology to get a pretty good
    read, and Steve Ballmer says the single greatest threat to Microsoft
    is Linux.

    Either Balmer is senile, or he knows something you don't know.

    Rex

  10. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    Rex Ballard writes:

    > On Sep 9, 4:55 am, shmell_dak...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> On Sep 8, 9:52 pm, RonB wrote:

    >> The Vista market share is way larger than all Linux distros
    >> combined... It sucks to be you ;-)

    > Actually, that's part of the problem. In markets where Linux has
    > started showing up on retailer shelves, next to Windows XP and Vista
    > machines, Linux versions are outselling the equivalent Windows
    > machines 6 to 4. ASUS and Acer are getting first hand experience and
    > have been surprised by the popularity of Linux.

    Total and utter bull****. Rexx, you really MUST stop telling such
    lies. Yes, we can all accept the EEE sold more .. because for a while it
    was LINUX ONLY you dimwit. But you knew that. The eee to be shipped in
    india is XP! Did you know that? The models with a hard disk are XP!

    Almost noone I know with an eee (and I know 4 people with one) had ANY
    idea it was Linux on it when they bought it - however it was not a set
    back since they only use it for mobile email (gmail in the browser) and
    web browsing. They are a bit miffed they can not run itunes or other
    popular apps on it now they have settled down though.

    > While Vista OEMs and Retailers have been reporting horrible losses in
    > the PC market, Apple's OS/X based machines are selling as fast as they
    > can be made, and at substantial profits. OS/X is based on BSD UNIX.
    > Linux is a BSD work-alike.

    Is it? Thanks for that. But Linux is NOT making huge leaps onto the
    desktop. It is losing web server share.

    > Linux appliances out number Windows machines. Remember, Linux powers
    > most WiFi hubs, most NAT Routers, many switches, TiVo, DVRs, and
    > HDTV. And what Linux doesn't power, is powered by BSD style UNIX
    > variants.

    So what?

    "Often" - more Rexx "Kingmaker" bull**** made up on the spot.

    > Many machines purchased with Windows are "enhanced" with Linux. These
    > enhancements might include Cygwin, VMWare Player with a Linux VM, or
    > Linux as the Native operating system and Windows running as the VM.
    >
    > Nobody knows how many of these machines are upgraded by users. There
    > are no reliable reports that are widely available to the public. On
    > the other hand, Microsoft has the technology to get a pretty good
    > read, and Steve Ballmer says the single greatest threat to Microsoft
    > is Linux.

    He said it years ago. And the threat did not materialise.

    > Either Balmer is senile, or he knows something you don't know.
    >
    > Rex

    I'm beginning to wonder if you are senile.

    --
    "Every piece of evidence I've heard from developers inside Microsoft
    supports my theory that the company has become completely tangled up in

  11. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    * RonB peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > shmell_dakaka@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> The Vista market share is way larger than all Linux distros
    >> combined... It sucks to be you

    > Actually it doesn't. In case this is a newsflash for you, XP's market share
    > was much bigger than Linux when I chose Linux.
    >
    > Now I've got no constant malware or antivirus updates -- no reboots twice a
    > day.
    >
    > Actually, I'm sorry to say this, my friend (if you still use Windows), it
    > must really suck to be you.
    >
    > And I actually *use* Linux. You just seem to be obsessed with it. Got your
    > nose smooshed up against the Linux "window" but you're too timid to come
    > in.

    Sounds like your basic window-licker.

    http://www.n7v.net/images/window-licker.jpg

    --
    Chihuahuas drive me crazy. I can't stand anything that shivers when it's warm.

  12. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    Rex Ballard wrote:
    > On Sep 9, 4:55 am, shmell_dak...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> On Sep 8, 9:52 pm, RonB wrote:

    >> The Vista market share is way larger than all Linux distros
    >> combined... It sucks to be you ;-)

    > Actually, that's part of the problem. In markets where Linux has
    > started showing up on retailer shelves, next to Windows XP and Vista
    > machines, Linux versions are outselling the equivalent Windows
    > machines 6 to 4. ASUS and Acer are getting first hand experience and
    > have been surprised by the popularity of Linux.

    What problem man? Because Linux is gaining a little popularity that
    somehow that's going to knock MS off the top? The problem with Linux to
    this day is that the average home user doesn't know about it.

    And if they do know about it, then MS and the Linux platform is being
    used in the house hold with more MS machines sitting there than Linux.

    > While Vista OEMs and Retailers have been reporting horrible losses in
    > the PC market, Apple's OS/X based machines are selling as fast as they
    > can be made, and at substantial profits. OS/X is based on BSD UNIX.
    > Linux is a BSD work-alike.

    Some are opting to fall back to XP? There are not moving over to Linux.

    > Linux appliances out number Windows machines. Remember, Linux powers
    > most WiFi hubs, most NAT Routers, many switches, TiVo, DVRs, and
    > HDTV. And what Linux doesn't power, is powered by BSD style UNIX
    > variants.

    That is NOT server or workstation O/S solutions.

    > Linux servers have turned out to me very popular in the corporate data
    > center, often costing 60-80% less than Windows to deploy, maintain,
    > manage, and support, especially over longer periods.

    The only thing Linux O/S seems to be good for is supporting databases
    such as Oracle, Web sites and it's loosing market share there, and
    communications. It's nowhere else in the picture as solutions in running
    day to day business activities that deal with backing processing, the
    processing of transactions.

    > Many machines purchased with Windows are "enhanced" with Linux. These
    > enhancements might include Cygwin, VMWare Player with a Linux VM, or
    > Linux as the Native operating system and Windows running as the VM.

    Show some kind of proof here, because you saying it doesn't make it so.

    > Nobody knows how many of these machines are upgraded by users. There
    > are no reliable reports that are widely available to the public. On
    > the other hand, Microsoft has the technology to get a pretty good
    > read, and Steve Ballmer says the single greatest threat to Microsoft
    > is Linux.
    >
    > Either Balmer is senile, or he knows something you don't know.

    This is the only thing here you have said that makes sense, which was
    said several years ago. You make a bicycle, and I make a bicycle. You're
    my biggest threat.

  13. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    Hadron wrote:

    > Rex Ballard writes:
    >
    >> On Sep 9, 4:55 am, shmell_dak...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>> On Sep 8, 9:52 pm, RonB wrote:

    >>> The Vista market share is way larger than all Linux distros
    >>> combined... It sucks to be you ;-)

    >> Actually, that's part of the problem. In markets where Linux has
    >> started showing up on retailer shelves, next to Windows XP and Vista
    >> machines, Linux versions are outselling the equivalent Windows
    >> machines 6 to 4. ASUS and Acer are getting first hand experience and
    >> have been surprised by the popularity of Linux.

    > Total and utter bull****. Rexx, you really MUST stop telling such
    > lies.

    No bull**** at all; at least in the UK, the Linux '901 outsells the XP
    version -- so much, in fact, that it was simply sold out:

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...ee_901_famine/

    "Readers alerted us to the fact that while Windows XP-loaded 901's are
    available to buy from British resellers, there's a paucity of the Linux
    version.
    Asus produces Linux and XP Eees in equal numbers, [Asus' spokeswoman]
    claimed, and will continue to do so: the Linux Eees are the better selling
    models."

    > Yes, we can all accept the EEE sold more .. because for a while it
    > was LINUX ONLY you dimwit.

    Not in the above case.

    > But you knew that. The eee to be shipped in india is XP!

    You'd better apologize to Rex for poor reading on your behalf. I quote:

    "In markets where Linux has started showing up on retailer shelves, next to
    Windows XP and Vista machines, Linux versions are outselling the
    equivalent Windows machines"

    In India, the Linux version isn't on offer. So it's impossible to make a
    proper comparison.

    > Did you know that? The models with a hard disk are XP!

    What does this have to do with it?

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  14. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rex Ballard writes:

    >>> Actually, that's part of the problem. In markets where Linux has
    >>> started showing up on retailer shelves, next to Windows XP and Vista
    >>> machines, Linux versions are outselling the equivalent Windows
    >>> machines 6 to 4. ASUS and Acer are getting first hand experience and
    >>> have been surprised by the popularity of Linux.

    >> Total and utter bull****. Rexx, you really MUST stop telling such
    >> lies.

    > No bull**** at all; at least in the UK, the Linux '901 outsells the XP
    > version -- so much, in fact, that it was simply sold out:

    Please re-read what Rexx said. He said that on retail shelves Linux
    versions are selling equivalent 6 to 4. This indicates across the
    board. Not comparing just one linux eee version with another eee xp
    version.

    > http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...ee_901_famine/
    >
    > "Readers alerted us to the fact that while Windows XP-loaded 901's are
    > available to buy from British resellers, there's a paucity of the Linux
    > version.
    > Asus produces Linux and XP Eees in equal numbers, [Asus' spokeswoman]
    > claimed, and will continue to do so: the Linux Eees are the better selling
    > models."

    They are different models for a start.

    And "readers alerted" us is not fact. You know the type those readers
    were - Roy and his gang.

    >> Yes, we can all accept the EEE sold more .. because for a while it
    >> was LINUX ONLY you dimwit.

    > Not in the above case.

    Says who? "readers"?

    The "paucity of Linux" eees was because they couldnt make any - ask
    Intel. We can only guess how the production line worked to get to that
    ratio of available machines. Maybe it was "all XP" for a while?

    The bit about eee Linux selling more of certain models I can accept.

    The point is they are talking about different models. I have no doubt
    that the low spec, cheap ultra cheap linux one has sold more than the
    more expensive HD equipped XP one. And long may it continue.

    >> But you knew that. The eee to be shipped in india is XP!

    > You'd better apologize to Rex for poor reading on your behalf. I quote:
    >
    > "In markets where Linux has started showing up on retailer shelves, next to
    > Windows XP and Vista machines, Linux versions are outselling the
    > equivalent Windows machines"

    Total bull****. It was NOT linked to the eee at that point. The eee is a
    small part of a global market.

    > In India, the Linux version isn't on offer. So it's impossible to make a
    > proper comparison.

    Erm yes it is. Its nearly all XP versions. And India is so important
    according to COLA when one corrupt state moves to Open Office.

    >> Did you know that? The models with a hard disk are XP!

    > What does this have to do with it?

    People with storage and power needs have to get an XP one.

    --
    This year with the release of XP, they are actually behind. The end days
    are near for the BIOS reading inferior OS. It is inevitable.

  15. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    > worthless troll wrote:
    >>
    >> The Vista market share is way larger than all Linux distros
    >> combined... It sucks to be you

    No, it would "suck" to have no choice but to use monopoly crapware to
    get our computing tasks done. Fortunately, we are not in that
    position.

  16. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    Hadron wrote:
    >>> Total and utter bull****. Rexx, you really MUST stop telling such
    >>> lies.

    >> No bull**** at all; at least in the UK, the Linux '901 outsells the XP
    >> version -- so much, in fact, that it was simply sold out:

    > Please re-read what Rexx said. He said that on retail shelves Linux
    > versions are selling equivalent 6 to 4. This indicates across the
    > board. Not comparing just one linux eee version with another eee xp
    > version.

    Oh look, Hardon's truly advocating again. Because somebody didn't
    specifically qualify the target market of their statement it is
    reasonable to assume they're talking about "across the board". Where
    have we heard that before?

  17. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    chrisv wrote:
    >> worthless troll wrote:
    >>> The Vista market share is way larger than all Linux distros
    >>> combined... It sucks to be you

    > No, it would "suck" to have no choice but to use monopoly crapware to
    > get our computing tasks done. Fortunately, we are not in that
    > position.

    What has this have to do with anything? You have a choice and you
    continue to whine about it? COLA people?

  18. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    Rex Ballard wrote:

    >I'm starting to wonder if Steve Ballmer is starting to suffer from
    >Alzheimers? He used to be such a Whiz at marketing. Now, it's almost
    >like he's "lost it". Whether it's the screaming monkey routine, or
    >the Seinfeld commercial, it's beginning to look like Steve is not
    >quite up to the job.

    Well, was his "wizardry" at marketing has, in the past, been
    based-upon his ability to leverage Micro$oft's market dominance, with
    crap like OEM deals that make it cheaper for the OEM to install
    Windwoes on 100% of their computers than it would be to install it on
    95%.

  19. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 14:28:42 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > And "readers alerted" us is not fact. You know the type those readers
    > were - Roy and his gang.

    Maybe Roy Schestowitz purchased OpenMoko phones for each one of those many
    voices in his head so that they could call the magazine and stuff the
    ballot box.

    The only people who care about things like that are Asus and the wacko
    radical Linux movement.
    The majority of people buying those gadgets simply want to use them not
    fight some religious holy war.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    [snips]

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 18:55:44 -0700, shmell_dakaka wrote:

    >> You almost feel sorry for them.

    > The Vista market share is way larger than all Linux distros combined...
    > It sucks to be you ;-)

    Nah, not really. See, unlike you, he's not so completely retarded as to
    think that the _market share_ of a product almost universally had for
    _free_ is a meaningful thing.

    Maybe one day when you grow up enough to figure out how to count above
    three, you'll understand this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast