Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing - Linux ; On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 08:59:27 -0400, Savwafare with Flare wrote: > chrisv wrote: >>> worthless troll wrote: >>>> The Vista market share is way larger than all Linux distros >>>> combined... It sucks to be you >> >> No, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 60

  1. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 08:59:27 -0400, Savwafare with Flare wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:

    >> No, it would "suck" to have no choice but to use monopoly crapware to
    >> get our computing tasks done. Fortunately, we are not in that
    >> position.
    >>

    > What has this have to do with anything? You have a choice and you
    > continue to whine about it? COLA people?

    The guy on the receiving end of a gun, being asked "Do what I say or die"
    also has a choice. By your reasoning, he shouldn't complain.

    Our side prefers a somewhat freer interpretation of the notion of choice.

  2. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    >>> No, it would "suck" to have no choice but to use monopoly crapware to
    >>> get our computing tasks done. Fortunately, we are not in that
    >>> position.
    >>>

    >> What has this have to do with anything? You have a choice and you
    >> continue to whine about it? COLA people?

    > The guy on the receiving end of a gun, being asked "Do what I say or die"
    > also has a choice. By your reasoning, he shouldn't complain.
    >
    > Our side prefers a somewhat freer interpretation of the notion of choice.

    What are you talking about? If I want to use something, I'll use it. If
    I want to use something, then I want use it and find something else.

    Your comments are total and ridiculous BS. People can always find an
    excuse to complain about anything. It's the nature of the beast called
    *MAN*.

  3. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    "Phil Da Lick!" writes:

    >>> No bull**** at all; at least in the UK, the Linux '901 outsells the XP
    >>> version -- so much, in fact, that it was simply sold out:

    >> Please re-read what Rexx said. He said that on retail shelves Linux
    >> versions are selling equivalent 6 to 4. This indicates across the
    >> board. Not comparing just one linux eee version with another eee xp
    >> version.

    > Oh look, Hardon's truly advocating again. Because somebody didn't
    > specifically qualify the target market of their statement it is
    > reasonable to assume they're talking about "across the board". Where
    > have we heard that before?

    You are joking? You know full well what Rexx was about. As with ALL his
    posts he exaggerates something chronic. Unlike Rasker, who made an
    honest mistake, Rexx purposely manipulates his prose to fool fools like
    you.

  4. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    >worthless troll wrote:

    >>> No, it would "suck" to have no choice but to use monopoly crapware to
    >>> get our computing tasks done. Fortunately, we are not in that
    >>> position.
    >>>

    >> What has this have to do with anything? You have a choice and you
    >> continue to whine about it? COLA people?

    There is some choice, yes, but there's still work to do. Making the
    choice to leave Micro$oft behind is still, for many, difficult to the
    point of being impractical.

    As an example, the student who goes-off to college and is told that
    they need to use M$ Office for all their schoolwork. FUD abounds.

  5. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    chrisv wrote:
    >> worthless troll wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> What has this have to do with anything? You have a choice and you
    >>> continue to whine about it? COLA people?

    > There is some choice, yes, but there's still work to do. Making the
    > choice to leave Micro$oft behind is still, for many, difficult to the
    > point of being impractical.
    >
    > As an example, the student who goes-off to college and is told that
    > they need to use M$ Office for all their schoolwork. FUD abounds.

    And somehow you equate that MS is telling them that? :-P

  6. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    On 2008-09-09, Savwafare with Flare wrote:
    > Rex Ballard wrote:
    >> On Sep 9, 4:55 am, shmell_dak...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>> On Sep 8, 9:52 pm, RonB wrote:

    [deletia]
    >> Linux appliances out number Windows machines. Remember, Linux powers
    >> most WiFi hubs, most NAT Routers, many switches, TiVo, DVRs, and
    >> HDTV. And what Linux doesn't power, is powered by BSD style UNIX
    >> variants.

    > That is NOT server or workstation O/S solutions.
    >>
    >> Linux servers have turned out to me very popular in the corporate data
    >> center, often costing 60-80% less than Windows to deploy, maintain,
    >> manage, and support, especially over longer periods.

    > The only thing Linux O/S seems to be good for is supporting databases
    > such as Oracle, Web sites and it's loosing market share there, and
    > communications. It's nowhere else in the picture as solutions in running
    > day to day business activities that deal with backing processing, the
    > processing of transactions.

    Oh pluleeeze.

    Databases like Oracle are where the "backend processing" is going on.

    Without an robust RDBMS in the middle, none of the crapware application
    servers that sit on top of Oracle (or any other real database) would
    amount to a pile of ****.

    Appservers that need to be rebooted daily if not hourly would be nothing
    without a robust datastore underneath.

    [deletia]

    Without the likes of Oracle (or even sql server) underneath, all business
    processing would grind to a screeching halt. You would be lucky if downtime
    was your only problem. Most likely all the data would be corrupted too.

    Yeah... all Atlas is good at is holding up the world. That's really not
    anything special.

    --
    On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

    When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were |||
    meant to be computationally convenient rather than just / | \
    arbitrarily assigned.

  7. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    On 2008-09-09, COLA Loons wrote:
    > chrisv wrote:

    >> There is some choice, yes, but there's still work to do. Making the
    >> choice to leave Micro$oft behind is still, for many, difficult to the
    >> point of being impractical.
    >>
    >> As an example, the student who goes-off to college and is told that
    >> they need to use M$ Office for all their schoolwork. FUD abounds.
    >>

    > And somehow you equate that MS is telling them that? :-P

    This is inconsistent with Microsoft advertising practices how exactly?

    Nevermind "competitors", Microsoft will (as a matter of it's own self
    interest and "duty" to stockholders ) encourage everyone to believe
    that they "must" have the absolute latest version of anything.

    Of course Microsoft has an obvious conflict of interest here.

    --
    On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

    When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were |||
    meant to be computationally convenient rather than just / | \
    arbitrarily assigned.

  8. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    Hadron wrote:

    >>> Please re-read what Rexx said. He said that on retail shelves Linux
    >>> versions are selling equivalent 6 to 4. This indicates across the
    >>> board. Not comparing just one linux eee version with another eee xp
    >>> version.

    >> Oh look, Hardon's truly advocating again. Because somebody didn't
    >> specifically qualify the target market of their statement it is
    >> reasonable to assume they're talking about "across the board". Where
    >> have we heard that before?

    > You are joking? You know full well what Rexx was about. As with ALL his
    > posts he exaggerates something chronic. Unlike Rasker, who made an
    > honest mistake, Rexx purposely manipulates his prose to fool fools like
    > you.

    Rather like yourself using bbc.co.uk browser stats to justify your
    trollage in a discussion about worldwide markets. Ever heard the ones
    about glass houses?

  9. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    [snips]

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 12:38:21 -0400, Linux Sucks wrote:

    > What are you talking about? If I want to use something, I'll use it.

    Assuming you can.

    Your company uses Microsoft; your choice is to use it or find another job.
    Your bank's website only works with IE - your choice, use it or switch
    banks. Your local computer chain offers computers for sale - but only
    ones with MS products preinstalled.

    To name but two obvious examples. *Maybe* you find the notions of using
    an unwanted OS and giving up your job equivalent; most folk wouldn't.

    Tell us again about this free, unrestricted choice you have, how you can
    so blithely choose, in all cases, to do as you please with no
    consequences.

    Oh, right, you can't, as it's bull****. The closest you can come is
    those cases where, through the hard work of others, there are
    alternatives available which have been engineered to overcome the lock-
    ins and limitations and other crap foisted upon an unwitting public.

  10. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> There is some choice, yes, but there's still work to do. Making the
    >>> choice to leave Micro$oft behind is still, for many, difficult to the
    >>> point of being impractical.
    >>>
    >>> As an example, the student who goes-off to college and is told that
    >>> they need to use M$ Office for all their schoolwork. FUD abounds.
    >>>

    >> And somehow you equate that MS is telling them that? :-P

    > This is inconsistent with Microsoft advertising practices how exactly?
    >
    > Nevermind "competitors", Microsoft will (as a matter of it's own self
    > interest and "duty" to stockholders ) encourage everyone to believe
    > that they "must" have the absolute latest version of anything.
    >
    > Of course Microsoft has an obvious conflict of interest here.

    You know something man. I am not MS. You got a complaint then take it up
    with MS.

  11. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > [snips]
    >
    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 12:38:21 -0400, Linux Sucks wrote:
    >
    >> What are you talking about? If I want to use something, I'll use it.

    > Assuming you can.

    WTH are you talking about?

    > Your company uses Microsoft; your choice is to use it or find another job.
    > Your bank's website only works with IE - your choice, use it or switch
    > banks. Your local computer chain offers computers for sale - but only
    > ones with MS products preinstalled.

    That's not my problem. I really don't think it's your problem either as
    you don't control anything, but your worthless life. You should try to
    control that.

    > To name but two obvious examples. *Maybe* you find the notions of using
    > an unwanted OS and giving up your job equivalent; most folk wouldn't.

    What does any of this have to do with the choices I make that a company
    I may contract at has nothing to do with my freedom of choice as a consumer?

    > Tell us again about this free, unrestricted choice you have, how you can
    > so blithely choose, in all cases, to do as you please with no
    > consequences.

    I got Suse Linux. I made the choice to go purchase it.

    > Oh, right, you can't, as it's bull****. The closest you can come is
    > those cases where, through the hard work of others, there are
    > alternatives available which have been engineered to overcome the lock-
    > ins and limitations and other crap foisted upon an unwitting public.

    You're talking out the side of your head like most COLA loons,
    unbelievable the silly mindset that's dominant in this cesspool.

  12. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > [snips]
    >
    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 16:27:41 -0400, COLA Loons wrote:
    >
    >> That's not my problem. I really don't think it's your problem either as
    >> you don't control anything, but your worthless life.

    > Sorry, but my life isn't worthless. I've no idea why you would think so;
    > is it, perhaps, your experience that most people's lives, such as your
    > own, are worthless? If so, I pity you.

    It was just trash talking, so don't get you panties in a pinch about it.
    :-P

    >>> To name but two obvious examples. *Maybe* you find the notions of
    >>> using an unwanted OS and giving up your job equivalent; most folk
    >>> wouldn't.

    >> What does any of this have to do with the choices I make that a company
    >> I may contract at has nothing to do with my freedom of choice as a
    >> consumer?

    > I'm sure there's some grammatical English in that sentence, just trying
    > to escape.

    Well, what does anything have to do with me being a consumer making my
    own choice?

  13. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    On Sep 9, 10:28*pm, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > [snips]

    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 12:38:21 -0400, Linux Sucks wrote:
    > > What are you talking about? If I want to use something, I'll use it.

    > Assuming you can.

    > Your company uses Microsoft; your choice is to use it or find another job..

    Many companies have found that they need to be more flexible to keep
    their
    best people. There are lots of opportunities for those who have cross-
    platform
    experience. Companies who "Lock-down" the workstations to secure the
    desktops often find that turnover goes up, and it gets hard to hire or
    keep
    new people.

    Many companies have already been using UNIX, and based on positive
    experiences with UNIX have tried Linux servers. Based on positive
    experience with Linux servers, many companies are exploring Linux
    desktops.

    > Your bank's website only works with IE - your choice, use it or switch
    > banks.

    The problem is that there are other banks that support other browsers.
    When Wachovia and other FF friendly banks are growing and attracting
    big-ticket customers, and the IE-only banks are losing those top-end
    customers, or having lots of problems with identity theft, they tend
    to me more interested in FF and standards compliance.

    A web vendor doesn't want to risk telling an FF customer to "buzz
    off", because
    that FF customer just might be a purchasing agent looking to make a
    huge
    purchase immediately. If only ONE of those customers had a $1 million
    order,
    you've just sent them to your competitor and excluded yourself from
    the bidding.

    >*Your local computer chain offers computers for sale - but only
    > ones with MS products preinstalled.

    But there are lots of specialty computer stores who will custom build
    a PC for you,
    including the installation of Linux. There's also the Web.

    Most major metropolitan areas have "computer fairs" such as the
    MarketPro shows.
    You can get a "Bare Bones" machine for about 1/2 the price of a
    machine with Microsoft products.

    If you go to the OEM Web Site, you might be able to not only get a
    machine that's ready to run Linux, but you can get upgrades such as a
    higher resolution display, faster hard drive, extra memory, a faster
    CPU, or an extra high speed hard drive, on which you can install your
    favorite Linux distribution.

    > To name but two obvious examples. **Maybe* you find the notions of using
    > an unwanted OS and giving up your job equivalent; most folk wouldn't.

    Just remember that the first PCs in the corporate environment were not
    entirely welcome. At the time, everybody used block-mode terminals to
    the Mainframe, or character mode terminals to a UNIX system, or to a
    VMS system. Employees weren't allowed to connect the PC to the host.

    Even the first versions of Windows, or the first Macs were often
    viewed as "odd" or even as a sign of open rebellion.

    In each case, those early adopters showed the benefits of that
    environment, and before long, PCs were popping up, or Windows was
    popping up, everywhere, and eventually corporations just started
    buying the machines for their people.

    > Tell us again about this free, unrestricted choice you have, how you can
    > so blithely choose, in all cases, to do as you please with no
    > consequences.

    All actions have consequences. Choosing to use Windows or Vista has
    consequences. They are just different consequences. Use Windows and
    you know you are at very high risk for getting viruses, that your
    laptop will hang-up, freeze, or just reboot itself, or that it might
    even become unbootable. You also know that when these things happen,
    you will have to work a bunch of unpaid overtime to make up for the
    failures.

    You know that you will probably have to come to an office where you
    can show off your presentations, hand out printed copies of your
    Office documents, and discuss your questions in a conference room.

    You know that you will spend much more time putting together elaborate
    documents which will be "attached" to e-mails, making them very
    difficult to find later on.

    You know that documents could contain Macro Viruses, OLE Viruses, or
    even ActiveX viruses which can download "bots" into your workstation.

    You know that you will have to perform routine maintenance such as
    updating your antivirus definitions, scanning for viruses, cleaning up
    the hard drive, cleaning up your registry, and other routine
    procedures.

    You know that you will have to manually copy content from one document
    to another, even though the process is mundane and repetitive. You
    might be able to delegate some of this to lower-paid people, but then
    you have to review their work more carefully.

    You know that your computer will gradually slow down, and that you
    will probably try dozens of things to speed up, but none of these
    solutions lasts very long.

    > Oh, right, you can't, as it's bull****. *The closest you can come is
    > those cases where, through the hard work of others, there are
    > alternatives available which have been engineered to overcome the lock-
    > ins and limitations and other crap foisted upon an unwitting public.

    Most people on a high speed network can download FireFox in 5
    minutes. OpenOffice takes about 10, and installs are very fast, even
    on Windows.

    More and mare applications are now available on BOTH Linux and
    Windows, which is making it easier and easier to transition to Linux,
    or a hybrid environment.

    If you don't need Windows for EVERY application and EVERY task, you
    can do more and more on Linux and eventually Windows becomes this
    application you start when you need to do that special function -
    occasionally.

    Eventually, you don't need Windows at all.
    Neither does your employer.
    Neither do a lot of other people.

  14. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    Rex Ballard wrote:

    You really are becoming a disappointment Ballard with this same old
    sorry song and dance. You should really know better than this, since you
    have been working in IT starting in the 1970's, so you claim, to let
    something like this control you.

    You continue to whine about MS vs Linux or Linux vs MS with some kind of
    a sorry twist/spin on things every chance you get, particularly about
    Vista where I find you to be giving out mis-information and you don't
    know what you're talking about, just making things up.

    Your entire post here I find it to be absolutely and totally ridiculous.

  15. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:27:41 -0400, COLA Loons wrote:
    >Rex Ballard wrote:

    >You really are becoming a disappointment Ballard with this same old
    >sorry song and dance. You should really know better than this, since you
    >have been working in IT starting in the 1970's, so you claim, to let
    >something like this control you.

    >You continue to whine about MS vs Linux or Linux vs MS with some kind of
    >a sorry twist/spin on things every chance you get, particularly about
    >Vista where I find you to be giving out mis-information and you don't
    >know what you're talking about, just making things up.

    >Your entire post here I find it to be absolutely and totally ridiculous.

    The refute it. Posting ad hominem after ad hominem only makes you look
    foolish.

  16. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:27:41 -0400, COLA Loons wrote:
    >> Rex Ballard wrote:

    >> You really are becoming a disappointment Ballard with this same old
    >> sorry song and dance. You should really know better than this, since you
    >> have been working in IT starting in the 1970's, so you claim, to let
    >> something like this control you.

    >> You continue to whine about MS vs Linux or Linux vs MS with some kind of
    >> a sorry twist/spin on things every chance you get, particularly about
    >> Vista where I find you to be giving out mis-information and you don't
    >> know what you're talking about, just making things up.

    >> Your entire post here I find it to be absolutely and totally ridiculous.

    > The refute it. Posting ad hominem after ad hominem only makes you look
    > foolish.

    I have talked directly to Ballard about his mis-information the other
    day when he came up into my face about Vista with his nonsense and
    ignorance, and he knows it, like I have talked to you about your
    mis-information, nonsense and your ignorance. From the looks of it,
    Ballard knows nothing about Vista and has never used it, trying to apply
    the old status quo, the past.

    You have used Vista so you claim and you don't know anything about the
    platform either trying to apply the past. I have provided you both with
    links, and I have tried to explain to you both, but it's a hopeless case
    in trying to take the blinders off of both of you.

  17. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    DFS wrote:
    > COLA Loons wrote:
    >> Rex Ballard wrote:
    >>

    >> You really are becoming a disappointment Ballard with this same old
    >> sorry song and dance. You should really know better than this, since
    >> you have been working in IT starting in the 1970's, so you claim, to
    >> let something like this control you.
    >>
    >> You continue to whine about MS vs Linux or Linux vs MS with some kind
    >> of a sorry twist/spin on things every chance you get, particularly
    >> about Vista where I find you to be giving out mis-information and you
    >> don't know what you're talking about, just making things up.
    >>
    >> Your entire post here I find it to be absolutely and totally
    >> ridiculous.

    > It's not an exaggeration to say he lies in virtually every post he makes. I
    > don't see how he functions in life.
    >
    > But you will almost never find any dishonest cola "advocates*" challenging
    > his absurd lies.

    I have nothing against Ballard. But I'll say this. If the man is putting
    out that kind of information about himself, then there is something wrong.

    He knows something about Information Technology. But what I object to is
    his mis-information. He keeps putting out bad information based on what
    he knows from the past. The COLA loons respect him, and even I respect
    him to a certain degree. But for sure, as the Sun comes up and the
    morning and the Moon come out a night, he has not used Vista nor have
    the COLA loons.

  18. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:52:12 -0400, COLA Loons wrote:
    >AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:27:41 -0400, COLA Loons wrote:
    >>> Rex Ballard wrote:

    >>> You really are becoming a disappointment Ballard with this same old
    >>> sorry song and dance. You should really know better than this, since you
    >>> have been working in IT starting in the 1970's, so you claim, to let
    >>> something like this control you.

    >>> You continue to whine about MS vs Linux or Linux vs MS with some kind of
    >>> a sorry twist/spin on things every chance you get, particularly about
    >>> Vista where I find you to be giving out mis-information and you don't
    >>> know what you're talking about, just making things up.

    >>> Your entire post here I find it to be absolutely and totally ridiculous.

    >> The refute it. Posting ad hominem after ad hominem only makes you look
    >> foolish.

    >I have talked directly to Ballard about his mis-information the other
    >day when he came up into my face about Vista with his nonsense and
    >ignorance, and he knows it, like I have talked to you about your
    >mis-information, nonsense and your ignorance. From the looks of it,
    >Ballard knows nothing about Vista and has never used it, trying to apply
    >the old status quo, the past.

    >You have used Vista so you claim and you don't know anything about the
    >platform either trying to apply the past. I have provided you both with
    >links, and I have tried to explain to you both, but it's a hopeless case
    >in trying to take the blinders off of both of you.

    All I see in your posts is ad hominem after ad hominem.
    And don't tell me what I know. You don't know ****.

  19. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    AZ Nomad wrote:

    > All I see in your posts is ad hominem after ad hominem.
    > And don't tell me what I know. You don't know ****.

    Must you cuss? That tells me that I have struck a bone here.

    Back at you and all I see out of you when I bother to look at one of
    your 2 bit worthless posts is one liners. :-P

  20. Re: Windows Vista: The OS About Nothing

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:57:02 -0400, COLA Loons wrote:
    >AZ Nomad wrote:
    >>

    >> All I see in your posts is ad hominem after ad hominem.
    >> And don't tell me what I know. You don't know ****.
    >>

    >Must you cuss? That tells me that I have struck a bone here.

    >Back at you and all I see out of you when I bother to look at one of
    >your 2 bit worthless posts is one liners. :-P

    You're a dimwitted boring troll.