What a Difference a Database Makes...... - Linux

This is a discussion on What a Difference a Database Makes...... - Linux ; After what seems like years of having all kinds of troubles with Amarok, under various distributions, I finally got it working. I changed the Database from SQLite to MySQL and gone are the hangs when searching or adding to the ...

  1. What a Difference a Database Makes......

    After what seems like years of having all kinds of troubles with Amarok,
    under various distributions, I finally got it working.

    I changed the Database from SQLite to MySQL and gone are the hangs when
    searching or adding to the collection.
    Gone are the screen repaint problems.
    Gone is the dodgey, unstable behavior.

    It seems to be running fine under Ubuntu Hardy.

    In fact I'm playing a tune from an 80000 file snippet of my collection, I
    fired up "get album art" which is downloading about 1500 covers and I'm
    playing another video in Totem on another desktop with still a fourth
    desktop running News Leecher which I finally got working under wine.
    Oh yea, I'm running this news program (40Tude) under wine and posting this
    at the same time.
    So that's 2 wine sessions chugging along.

    Not too shabby for Linux on a 3.0GHZ P4 with 2 gig memory.
    I do have a lot of very fast drives though.

    I give credit where credit is due.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  2. Re: What a Difference a Database Makes......

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > After what seems like years of having all kinds of troubles with Amarok,
    > under various distributions, I finally got it working.
    >
    > I changed the Database from SQLite to MySQL and gone are the hangs when
    > searching or adding to the collection.
    > Gone are the screen repaint problems.
    > Gone is the dodgey, unstable behavior.
    >
    > It seems to be running fine under Ubuntu Hardy.
    >
    > In fact I'm playing a tune from an 80000 file snippet of my collection, I
    > fired up "get album art" which is downloading about 1500 covers and I'm
    > playing another video in Totem on another desktop with still a fourth
    > desktop running News Leecher which I finally got working under wine.
    > Oh yea, I'm running this news program (40Tude) under wine and posting this
    > at the same time.
    > So that's 2 wine sessions chugging along.
    >
    > Not too shabby for Linux on a 3.0GHZ P4 with 2 gig memory.
    > I do have a lot of very fast drives though.
    >
    > I give credit where credit is due.

    Have you tried playlists yet?

    Let me know what you think. Its the ONE let down. Well, that and radio
    streams stopping after the initial buffering on my system.

  3. Re: What a Difference a Database Makes......

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 00:34:50 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> After what seems like years of having all kinds of troubles with Amarok,
    >> under various distributions, I finally got it working.
    >>
    >> I changed the Database from SQLite to MySQL and gone are the hangs when
    >> searching or adding to the collection.
    >> Gone are the screen repaint problems.
    >> Gone is the dodgey, unstable behavior.
    >>
    >> It seems to be running fine under Ubuntu Hardy.
    >>
    >> In fact I'm playing a tune from an 80000 file snippet of my collection, I
    >> fired up "get album art" which is downloading about 1500 covers and I'm
    >> playing another video in Totem on another desktop with still a fourth
    >> desktop running News Leecher which I finally got working under wine.
    >> Oh yea, I'm running this news program (40Tude) under wine and posting this
    >> at the same time.
    >> So that's 2 wine sessions chugging along.
    >>
    >> Not too shabby for Linux on a 3.0GHZ P4 with 2 gig memory.
    >> I do have a lot of very fast drives though.
    >>
    >> I give credit where credit is due.

    > Have you tried playlists yet?

    No I haven't with this install.
    I also haven't tried interfacing with my iPod yet.
    I have to back that up because I don't want any erasing/synching going on
    without my knowing.
    I learned that one the hard way when iTunes first was released.

    > Let me know what you think. Its the ONE let down. Well, that and radio
    > streams stopping after the initial buffering on my system.

    I don't have that problem, at least not with the stations I tried.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: What a Difference a Database Makes......

    On Sep 8, 6:28*pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > After what seems like years of having all kinds of troubles with Amarok,
    > under various distributions, I finally got it working.
    >
    > I changed the Database from SQLite to MySQL and gone are the hangs when
    > searching or adding to the collection.
    > Gone are the screen repaint problems.
    > Gone is the dodgey, unstable behavior.
    >
    > It seems to be running fine under Ubuntu Hardy.
    >
    > In fact I'm playing a tune from an 80000 file snippet of my collection, I
    > fired up "get album art" which is downloading about 1500 covers and I'm
    > playing another video in Totem on another desktop with still a fourth
    > desktop running News Leecher which I finally got working under wine.
    > Oh yea, I'm running this news program (40Tude) under wine and posting this
    > at the same time.
    > So that's 2 wine sessions chugging along.
    >
    > Not too shabby for Linux on a 3.0GHZ P4 with 2 gig memory.
    > I do have a lot of very fast drives though.
    >
    > I give credit where credit is due.
    >
    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    >
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    Try SQL Server, it's better!

  5. Re: What a Difference a Database Makes......

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 18:58:37 -0700 (PDT), shmell_dakaka@hotmail.com wrote:

    > On Sep 8, 6:28*pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    >> After what seems like years of having all kinds of troubles with Amarok,
    >> under various distributions, I finally got it working.
    >>
    >> I changed the Database from SQLite to MySQL and gone are the hangs when
    >> searching or adding to the collection.
    >> Gone are the screen repaint problems.
    >> Gone is the dodgey, unstable behavior.
    >>
    >> It seems to be running fine under Ubuntu Hardy.
    >>
    >> In fact I'm playing a tune from an 80000 file snippet of my collection, I
    >> fired up "get album art" which is downloading about 1500 covers and I'm
    >> playing another video in Totem on another desktop with still a fourth
    >> desktop running News Leecher which I finally got working under wine.
    >> Oh yea, I'm running this news program (40Tude) under wine and posting this
    >> at the same time.
    >> So that's 2 wine sessions chugging along.
    >>
    >> Not too shabby for Linux on a 3.0GHZ P4 with 2 gig memory.
    >> I do have a lot of very fast drives though.
    >>
    >> I give credit where credit is due.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moshe Goldfarb
    >> Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    >> Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    >>
    >> http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    > Try SQL Server, it's better!

    I'm sure it is but that seems like overkill for my needs

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/