BBC iPlayer offered on Nokia N96

,----[ Quote ]
| Users of the Nokia N96 are to be among the first with the ability to run the
| BBC's iPlayer on their mobile phones.
`----

BBC in covering technology badly shocker.

,----[ Quote ]
| His piece reads like he’s giving Linux a thorough test. If this was his
| intention, then using the EeePC was a big mistake. However, the fact the WiFi
| didn’t work in Ubuntu? Very valid and annoying, which is why I still
| recommend looking up Linux compatibility before making the jump. I guess if
| this chap had written this anywhere else, I could forgive elements of it. But
| having pride of place on the BBC website, it is very damaging to Linux’s
| reputation and misleading to the public. It’s not a review, or look at
| Linux - it’s a blog of one man’s struggle to make a device (yes, the EeePC is
| a device) do something it shouldn’t. I’m sure if they had enabled comments on
| the piece - there would be some angry comments there at the moment. Sigh.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/blogs/andrewm...badly-shocker/

Recent:

BBC iPlayer 2.0 = iPlayer 1.0?

,----[ Quote ]
| * * The new-look BBC iPlayer will be available on other platforms for TV
| * * catch-up, including the Apple iPhone & iPod touch, and the Nintendo Wii.
|
| Wot, no GNU/Linux? But wait:
|
| * * The new-look BBC iPlayer is available on PC, Mac, Linux, Virgin Media,
| * * Apple iPhone & iPod touch and Nintendo Wii.
|
| So it's available for GNU/Linux, but does that mean I can use the catch-up
| service, the main bone of contention for iPlayer 1.0?
|
| Clear as mud.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...player-10.html

Related:

BBC iPlayer protest report

| First on site with me is Tom Chance, Green Party spokesperson on Free
| Software. He has organized for Dr Derek Wall, lead spokesperson for the Green
| Party to join us and make some statements about BBC iPlayer and the Microsoft
| lock-in it establishes. *
|
| [...]
|
| We have 1500 fliers to distribute, that focus on the key issue with the
| iPlayer, and why $130 Million and 4 years of development don't get you much
| * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| when you choose Microsoft DRM. *
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/blo...rProtestReport

BBC Director General grilled by MPs on iPlayer

,----[ Quote ]
| During the meeting there is discussion of iPlayer’s total cost to the licence
| fee-payer - the BBC representatives are unable to give a figure, but start
| the bidding at £20m, excluding staff costs. Thomson gives incorrect
| information - that Mac and Linux versions of iPlayer have the same
| functionality as Windows versions - and has to change his evidence at the
| end. Perhaps it was this confusion that prompted Dr John Pugh MP to follow up
| the encounter with a letter direct to Mark Thomson today discussing platform
| neutrality in greater detail. A copy of this letter has been passed to the
| Open Rights Group. * * * *
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/...ps-on-iplayer/

BBC website £36m 'overspend'

,----[ Quote ]
| THE BBC went almost £36 million over the intended budget for bbc.co.uk in the
| past year, it was disclosed today.
`----

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ss=yes?rss=yes

The BBC Has Drunk its Brain

,----[ Quote ]
| Good to see the BBC with its finger on the pulse of computing, bravely
| serving up the facts without fear or favour here:
|
| * * Microsoft's next operating system (OS) will come with multi-touch
| * * features as an alternative to the mouse.
|
| Rather like the Hewlett-Packard touchscreen system I used back in the 1980s.
|
| [...]
|
| Is this a similar statement to 2003's "Bill Gates said that Longhorn will
| have a unified storage system called WinFS." found at
| http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3220017.stm
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...its-brain.html

Has the BBC Duped Us over iPlayer?

,----[ Quote ]
| Totally far-out, man. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BLOODY GNU/LINUX VERSION?
|
| I wonder how that complaint about the BBC providing state aid to Microsoft is
| coming along....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...r-iplayer.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *

| to go with that.
`----

BBC pinches hot new columnist from Microsoft

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12...s_bbc_secrets/

Beeb slammed for 'fawning' to Bill Gates

,----[ Quote ]
| BBC viewers have flooded the corporation with complaints over how it
| covered the launch of Microsoft Vista earlier this week.
|
| In one cringingly servile interview worthy of Uriah Heep, the
| Beeb's news presenter Hugh Edwards even thanked Gates at the
| end of it, presumably in appreciation at being allowed to give
| the Vole vast coverage for free.
|
| In other TV news items presenters excitedly explained how Vistac
| ould be obtained and installed - details courtesy of the BBC's
| website.
|
| But British viewers, currently forced to pay a £131.50 licence
| fee to maintain the BBC's "impartiality", were less than impressed.
|
| Scores got in touch to complain that so much was Auntie up Bill's
| bum that you could barely see her corset.
`----

BBC iPlayer Protests

,----[ Quote ]

`----