[News] Education Software Monopolist Loses Clients to Free Software - Linux

  1. [News] Education Software Monopolist Loses Clients to Free Software

    Blackboard Customers Consider Alternatives

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Blackboard has become the Microsoft of higher-education technology, say many
    | campus-technology officials, and they don't mean the comparison as a
    | compliment. To them the company is not only big but also pushy, and many of
    | them love to hate it.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | LeTourneau's contract with Blackboard ends this year, and campus officials
    | may join the growing number of colleges switching to Moodle, a free,
    | open-source course-management system, or Sakai, another free program. Those
    | systems have grown feature-rich enough to pose serious challenges to
    | Blackboard. Giants like the Georgia Institute of Technology and the
    | University of California at Los Angeles, along with smaller colleges, like
    | Louisiana State University at Shreveport, have made the jump.
    `----

    http://chronicle.com/free/v55/i03/03a00103.htm

    It's not only evil like Microsoft. It's also /funded/ by Microsoft.

    Recent:

    Patent Office Will Continue Reexamination of Blackboard's Controversial Patent

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has rejected a request by Blackboard
    | Inc. for a temporary halt in the office’s review of a software patent the
    | company holds concerning course-management systems.
    |
    | This year Blackboard won a lawsuit in federal court against a rival software
    | company, Desire2Learn, for violating the patent, though Desire2Learn has
    | appealed the decision. Meanwhile, Desire2Learn had formally challenged the
    | validity of the patent with the patent office, arguing that it is overly
    | broad and covers technology that other companies had developed before
    | Blackboard filed its patent. The patent office issued an initial verdict in
    | March that rejected all 44 of the claims that make up Blackboard’s patent.
    | But that review is “nonfinal,” meaning that the review is still underway.
    `----

    http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/art...versial-patent

    Related:

    All 44 Blackboard Patent Claims Invalidated by USPTO

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This decision actually should have come before the trial verdict but was held
    | up because the USPTO had to decide what to do about the separate filings from
    | D2L and SFLC. Now, in addition to the fact that Blackboard will be able to
    | argue against the ruling with the USPTO, there are a number of questions
    | regarding how this affects the court case. * *
    `----

    http://mfeldstein.com/all-44-blackbo...ated-by-uspto/

    The Blackboard Patent and Blackboard's Big Idea

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now that the Blackboard Patent Court Case has begun, let's recap the main
    | issues. Blackboard * *sued Desire2Learn for patent infringement. What is the
    | patent claim and what is at stake? *
    `----

    http://tatler.typepad.com/nose/2008/...id-blackb.html

    Blackboard Inc. Is Awarded Payment From Competitor in Patent Case

    | "This is a signal event in educational technology," said Alfred H. Essa,
    | associate vice chancellor and deputy chief information officer for Minnesota
    | State Colleges and Universities. "It means that the big boys are playing for
    | keeps and will use their patent portfolio at any cost to crush and deter new
    | entrants. As a community, it will take us a long time to recover from this
    | mess." * *
    `----

    http://chronicle.com/free/2008/02/1828n.htm

    Taurus/Orion/Spangenberg Hold Off Ford in Madison; Blackboard-Desire2Learn
    Trial Begins in Lufkin

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Interestingly, Desire2Learn is blogging about the trial. Desire2Learn has
    | already invalidated 35 out of the 44 claims of the '138 patent. I love how
    | Desire2Learn refers to the inventors in quotes - "inventors." From
    | Desire2Learn's blog, we learn that the Software Freedom Law Center filed an
    | ex parte reexamination request, and Desire2Learn filed an inter partes
    | reexamination request. Both were granted, and are continuing in parallel to
    | the trial. We also learn that Judge Clark did not rule on any pending summary
    | judgment motions, and decided to hold them for trial. * * *
    `----

    http://trolltracker.blogspot.com/200...-off-ford.html

    Blackboard Patent Goes to Trial

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Blackboard patent infringement case against Desire2Learn goes to trial on
    | February 11, 2008 in Lufkin, Texas. *The trial is expected to last two weeks.
    | Both sides will have no more than 18 hours to present their case. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | By all accounts Blackboard's patent is a stupid one and never should have
    | been issued by the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
    `----

    http://tatler.typepad.com/nose/2008/...oard-pate.html

    Blackboard Problems Leave Vista on Double-Secret Probation

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On college campuses, Microsoft's Vista operating system may be in
    | danger of failing courses that use Blackboard, a key software
    | program for communication between teachers and students.
    `----

  2. Re: Education Software Monopolist Loses Clients to Free Software

    On Sep 8, 12:39 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > Blackboard Customers Consider Alternatives
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Blackboard has become the Microsoft of higher-education technology, say many
    > | campus-technology officials, and they don't mean the comparison as a
    > | compliment. To them the company is not only big but also pushy, and many of
    > | them love to hate it.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | LeTourneau's contract with Blackboard ends this year, and campus officials
    > | may join the growing number of colleges switching to Moodle, a free,
    > | open-source course-management system, or Sakai, another free program. Those
    > | systems have grown feature-rich enough to pose serious challenges to
    > | Blackboard. Giants like the Georgia Institute of Technology and the
    > | University of California at Los Angeles, along with smaller colleges, like
    > | Louisiana State University at Shreveport, have made the jump.
    > `----
    >
    > http://chronicle.com/free/v55/i03/03a00103.htm
    >
    > It's not only evil like Microsoft. It's also /funded/ by Microsoft.

    I agree, Blackboard definitely is evil.

    Sakai is the name of a subway stop in Nagoya, Japan. I can't forget
    it. The lady's voice calls out, "Sa-KAI"

  3. Re: Education Software Monopolist Loses Clients to Free Software

    * nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> | Blackboard has become the Microsoft of higher-education technology, say many
    >> | campus-technology officials, and they don't mean the comparison as a
    >> | compliment. To them the company is not only big but also pushy, and many of
    >> | them love to hate it.

    Maybe they can get Dean Vernon Wormer to do advertising to improve their
    reputation.

    >> http://chronicle.com/free/v55/i03/03a00103.htm
    >>
    >> It's not only evil like Microsoft. It's also /funded/ by Microsoft.

    > I agree, Blackboard definitely is evil.

    But don't confuse them with:

    http://www.blackbaud.com/

    They're a big VB house, by the way.

    --
    Solutions are obvious if one only has the optical power to observe them
    over the horizon.

+ Reply to Thread