[News] Ubuntu/GNOME/GNU/Linux + Customisation = Pretty Desktop - Linux

  1. [News] Ubuntu/GNOME/GNU/Linux + Customisation = Pretty Desktop

    Pimp your Ubuntu desktop in 7 easy steps!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is just the tip of the iceberg; there are countless ways to mod Ubuntu -
    | from Grub bootloader themes to GDM, you'll find loads of great stuff over at
    | these sites:
    | -Gnome Look - Eyecandy for your Gnome Desktop
    | -Gnome Art - Another great site
    | -or if you're looking for that complete Mac OS X look, check out this
    | tutorial.
    `----

    http://blogs.howtogeek.com/tuxgeek/2...me-in-7-steps/

    "Linux is ugly" is one ugly piece of FUD.

    Recent:

    10 Beautiful Themes for Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The upcoming release of Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) is highly anticipated not
    | only for the system enhancements it will likely get, but also for its new
    | default theme. The visual refresh is a long time coming, so I expect the
    | Ubuntu artwork team is cooking something good for all of us.
    |
    | The October release date of Ubuntu 8.10 is fast approaching, yet until now,
    | we don’t know exactly what the finished product will look like. I don’t want
    | to make any guesses, instead, I decided to collect 10 beautiful existing GTK
    | 2.x themes that I think can be further improved or altered and be used as the
    | default desktop theme for Intrepid Ibex. Enjoy!
    `----

    http://www.junauza.com/2008/08/10-be...-intrepid.html

    10 Most Beautiful Plasma Themes for KDE 4 Desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The latest series of the K Desktop Environment now utilizes Plasma, a new
    | desktop and panel user interface tool that aims for a more functional,
    | user-friendly, and sleek KDE desktop. Plasma also supports Dashboard-like
    | widgets called plasmoids.
    `----

    http://www.junauza.com/2008/08/10-mo...s-for-kde.html

    20 beautiful dark themes for Gnome and Ubuntu

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some weeks ago, I shown you a list of 30 themes for enhancing your Gnome
    | desktop. Many readers loved the dark themes from this list, so here’s a new
    | list of 20 dark and absolutely beautiful themes for your Gnome desktop.
    `----

    http://www.catswhocode.com/blog/feat...and-ubuntu-418

    4 Linux Distros Which Look Like Mac OS X

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here’s an interesting compilation of Linux distribution which resemble
    | Apple’s Mac OS 10.
    `----

    http://www.internetling.com/2008/08/...like-mac-os-x/

  2. Re: Ubuntu/GNOME/GNU/Linux + Customisation = Pretty Desktop

    On Sep 8, 12:16 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > Pimp your Ubuntu desktop in 7 easy steps!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | This is just the tip of the iceberg; there are countless ways to mod Ubuntu -
    > | from Grub bootloader themes to GDM, you'll find loads of great stuff over at
    > | these sites:
    > | -Gnome Look - Eyecandy for your Gnome Desktop
    > | -Gnome Art - Another great site
    > | -or if you're looking for that complete Mac OS X look, check out this
    > | tutorial.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.howtogeek.com/tuxgeek/2...-gnome-in-7-st...

    Recently I posted an article,
    http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT2483384065.html
    by a guy who runs a company that uses a lot of Linux. Regarding how
    to train former Windows users how to use Linux, he says that you don't
    need to do any training at all, you just need to make the desktop look
    familiar to them, and they will figure it out themselves. It was an
    interesting article, IIDSSM,

  3. Re: Ubuntu/GNOME/GNU/Linux + Customisation = Pretty Desktop

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 16:29:44 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Recently I posted an article,
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT2483384065.html
    > by a guy who runs a company that uses a lot of Linux. Regarding how
    > to train former Windows users how to use Linux, he says that you don't
    > need to do any training at all, you just need to make the desktop look
    > familiar to them, and they will figure it out themselves. It was an
    > interesting article, IIDSSM,

    Actually I have found that to be pretty much true, especially with kids and
    teens.
    The problem comes in equating applications and some of the oddball names
    Linux uses for applications. Windows does this as well, but people know
    them already. It's the Linux ones they have to learn.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Ubuntu/GNOME/GNU/Linux + Customisation = Pretty Desktop

    "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" writes:

    > On Sep 8, 12:16 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Pimp your Ubuntu desktop in 7 easy steps!
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | This is just the tip of the iceberg; there are countless ways to mod Ubuntu -
    >> | from Grub bootloader themes to GDM, you'll find loads of great stuff over at
    >> | these sites:
    >> | -Gnome Look - Eyecandy for your Gnome Desktop
    >> | -Gnome Art - Another great site
    >> | -or if you're looking for that complete Mac OS X look, check out this
    >> | tutorial.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blogs.howtogeek.com/tuxgeek/2...-gnome-in-7-st...
    >>

    > Recently I posted an article,
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT2483384065.html
    > by a guy who runs a company that uses a lot of Linux. Regarding how
    > to train former Windows users how to use Linux, he says that you don't
    > need to do any training at all, you just need to make the desktop look
    > familiar to them, and they will figure it out themselves. It was an
    > interesting article, IIDSSM,

    Anyone can use gnome GUI, or to a lesser extent KDE, the issue is the
    applications. And no manager worth his salt is going to let users loose
    on their live company data with new applications with which they have
    received no training.

    --
    Bwahahahahahahahah - Anyone else think that this announcement from the MS
    marketing machine was anything other than a last ditch attempt to try and

  5. Re: Ubuntu/GNOME/GNU/Linux + Customisation = Pretty Desktop

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 01:44:03 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" writes:
    >
    >> On Sep 8, 12:16 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Pimp your Ubuntu desktop in 7 easy steps!
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.howtogeek.com/tuxgeek/2...-gnome-in-7-st...
    >>>

    >> Recently I posted an article,
    >> http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT2483384065.html
    >> by a guy who runs a company that uses a lot of Linux. Regarding how
    >> to train former Windows users how to use Linux, he says that you don't
    >> need to do any training at all, you just need to make the desktop look
    >> familiar to them, and they will figure it out themselves. It was an
    >> interesting article, IIDSSM,

    > Anyone can use gnome GUI, or to a lesser extent KDE, the issue is the
    > applications. And no manager worth his salt is going to let users loose
    > on their live company data with new applications with which they have
    > received no training.

    In a corporate setting this is very true.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/