Bill and Jerry, Chrome and the Next Linux Generation

,----[ Quote ]
| "The most important demographic is the developer community and, anecdotally
| at least, my experience is that anyone who is deep in that universe is well
| aware and involved in Linux," yagu asserted."Also, savvy companies are deeply
| vested in Linux solutions. In some ways, Linux is working its way into the
| universe from the inside out -- i.e., those who need good technology use
| Linux for their important work. Eventually, Linux shows up in unexpected
| places."
|
| [...]
|
| Meanwhile, "Linux is here, and those who need to know about it, do," he
| concluded."Those that will need to know about it, will."
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/web20/64403.html

Navigate from here to there with TomTom GO 510 GPS, $124.99 after rebate

,----[ Quote ]
| This GPS sold for a whopping $700 when it debuted just a couple years ago,
| but now you can scoop up a refurbished TomTom GO 510 for just $124.99 (plus
| shipping) after a $36 mail-in rebate. Unlike most models selling in this
| price range, the GO 510 serves up loads of advanced features.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20

The article does not mention Linux, but TomTom is a Linux gadget.

Related:

TomTom Connects With Google, But Not The Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| TomTom, who's currently in a bidding war with Garmin for data company Tele
| Atlas, has announced integration plans with Google (Radar post). As reported
| in the LA Times [subs needed] *
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/20..._connects.html

TomTom uses anonymous cell phone tracking for traffic forecasts

,----[ Quote ]
| The service will initially be offered only in the Netherlands, where Vodafone
| says it has 3.9 million customers. A total of more than 16 million people
| live in the Netherlands. For 399 euros, TomTom will be offering the One XL
| High-Definition Traffic mobile navigation unit, which supports the new
| technology.
`----

Hacking the TomTom ONE through Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unexpected twist of events, the gpl-violations.org project took
| exception to TomTom building an embedded Linux system without going along
| with the GNU General Public License (GPL) constraints that the Linux kernel
| used, and custom modifications, be freely available as open source. They were
| successful in this and TomTom agreed to release the full source code
| including all additions and changes made in-house. Additionally, TomTom
| showed their "appreciation" for Free Software by making a donation, described
| as "significant", to the infamous Chaos Computer Club - read into this what
| you may.
|
| [...]
|
| OpenTom can be downloaded as pre-compiled images, or in source-code format
| for customising and self-compiling. No matter which route you choose, copy
| the two resulting binaries ttsystem and root.cpio to an SD card and reboot
| following the instructions on site. The OpenTom image is executed instead.
`----

TomTom to buy map supplier Tele Atlas

,----[ Quote ]
| TomTom, the world's biggest maker of car navigation devices, plans to
| buy its main map supplier, Tele Atlas, for 1.8 billion euros ($2.5
| billion) to improve the digital maps used by millions of drivers.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-6198299.html

Linux everywhere

,----[ Quote ]
| Take yesterday as a case in point. *I checked the order status of my Elonex
| One, and sent an email to see if my order for the One can be upgraded to the
| One+ (bluetooth, and bigger internal memory). *I then caught the train to the
| Queen Elizabeth hospital, watching the in-train tv which is powered by some
| Linux flavour (given the error message I saw a few weeks back). *Visiting my
| friend Simon at the QE, he’s spotted that the tv/phone/internet screens that
| each patient has are powered by Linux. *This is of course when he’s not
| tapping away on his Asus EEE, and hopefully writing the next Da Vinci Code
| (only better). * * * *
`----

http://andyhollyhead.wordpress.com/2...ux-everywhere/

Linux is truly everywhere

,----[ Quote ]
| I spent a long time smiling about the Linux bootup screen that I had just
| seen. To begin with, it reminded me that Linux, and other open-source
| products, are now everywhere. Linux is no longer for the uber-geeks. It's not
| just for system administrators and programmers, either. Linux is now at the
| core of mainstream appliances, there even when you don't think that a
| computer or operating system might be involved. * *
|
| [...]
|
| Finally, Moore's Law and the general trend toward cheaper and faster hardware
| means that Linux now fits into even more places than it did before. We
| normally think of Linux as an operating system for servers, or even for
| desktop computers. But we can expect Linux to be at the heart of a growing
| number of appliances, from video-on-demand devices to digital video recorders
| (e.g., TiVo), to cellphones (e.g., Android and OpenMoko). The Linux-powered
| refrigerator, with a built-in bar-code scanner that can tell you how long ago
| you bought milk, isn't far behind. * * *
`----

http://ostatic.com/158401-blog/linux...uly-everywhere

The hidden world of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| There are many great FOSS projects that utilise old PC hardware and give it a
| new lease of life. The best is desktop computing with various Linux
| distribution flavours like Mint, PCLinux, Ubuntu and countless others. In
| fact it is my considered belief that the best hardware to run Linux on is
| infact (almost) any machine that is at least 12 months old. It is possible,
| of course, to select components based on the degree (and maturity) of the
| specific support under Linux but this has two major drawbacks.
|
| [...]
|
| Not only do such projects look to modify embedded Linux devices, but some
| great projects have sprung up to utilise old PCs every household seems to
| accumulate in order to fulfil a number of key uses. For example,
| comprehensive firewall distributions like IPCop or Smoothwall or NAS
| distributions like FreeNAS (although this is based on BSD.) These are not
| dirty hacked operating systems either but very mature, streamlined, low
| memory footprint distributions which run headlessly. Being totally
| administered through a web browser makes these distributions feel extremely
| professional and polished (even if the archaic hardware they are running on
| doesn’t) this being coupled by the extraordinary amount of options present
| really makes these projects an extraordinary example of the flexibility of
| Linux/BSD.
`----

http://whyamistilltyping.wordpress.c...orld-of-linux/

What CAN’T Linux do?

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. The story mentioned above. A man installs Linux on sixteen Playstation 3s
| (with zero hardware modifications), clusters them together, and creates a
| system to simulate black holes. *
| 2. Installing Linux on a Mac. I was just reading the most recent Wired
| magazine that has a good story on how Apple has created a very closed system
| where only Apple software plays on Apple hardware. Hello Yellow Dog Linux! I
| have run Linux on an iBook - it was sweet. *
| 3. Routers. We all know that Linux works well on routers. OpenWRT installs
| well on many Linksys routers.
|
| [...]
|
| 11. Airplane black boxes. Montavista uses a Carrier Grade Linux to power
| in-flight recorders.
| 12. Brain surgery. Yep. This Linux-powered robot helps in brain surgery.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=186

Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06

,----[ Quote ]
| Around 98% of the world's CPUs manufactured are used in embedded systems.
`----

http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/?q=node/132

Linux loyalty runs high among embedded software developers, says VDC

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking ahead, 87% percent of Linux users plan to use Linux in their next
| project. In both cases, use of free distributions outnumbered use of paid
| distributions by a sizable margin. *
`----

http://software.tekrati.com/research/9436/

Microsoft cans key conference