First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads. - Linux

This is a discussion on First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads. - Linux ; By the heck. The first of these is out:- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...ld_commercial/ That must be Game Over for Mac and Linux (and XP) With this sort of selling power, Vista will be irresistable. That's it. Pack it in. We all need to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

  1. First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    By the heck.

    The first of these is out:-

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...ld_commercial/

    That must be Game Over for Mac and Linux (and XP)
    With this sort of selling power, Vista will be irresistable.
    That's it.
    Pack it in.
    We all need to go out and snap up a few copies before the price increases....
    it's sure convinced me......

  2. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On Sep 7, 3:46 pm, bbgruff wrote:
    > By the heck.
    >
    > The first of these is out:-
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09..._seinfeld_comm...

    I got a laugh out of this:

    "Interviewing people that say Vista is awful, letting them fawn over a
    new operating system called "Mojave," then revealing the OS is
    actually Vista is a bit like trying to sell canned pineapples by
    saying there's 'guaranteed no razor blades hidden inside.'"

  3. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    "bbgruff" wrote in message
    > By the heck.
    >
    > The first of these is out:-
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...ld_commercial/
    >
    > That must be Game Over for Mac and Linux (and XP)
    > With this sort of selling power, Vista will be irresistable.
    > That's it.
    > Pack it in.
    > We all need to go out and snap up a few copies before the price
    > increases....
    > it's sure convinced me......

    They're not selling a product, silly, that is for the little guys who are
    unknown. When IBM runs ads, do you suppose they are trying to sell the
    viewer a mainframe? When Boeing runs ads do you suppose that they are
    trying to sell someone a jet airplane? When Caterpillar runs ads do you
    suppose they are trying to sell a bulldozer? Does Lockheed-Martin try to
    sell space shuttles or even tanks with their ads? Of course not.

    They are just keeping the public aware of their name and it works pretty
    good.

  4. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "bbgruff" wrote in message
    >> By the heck.
    >>
    >> The first of these is out:-

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...ld_commercial/

    >> That must be Game Over for Mac and Linux (and XP)
    >> With this sort of selling power, Vista will be irresistable.
    >> That's it.
    >> Pack it in.
    >> We all need to go out and snap up a few copies before the price
    >> increases....
    >> it's sure convinced me......
    >>

    > They're not selling a product, silly, that is for the little guys who are
    > unknown. When IBM runs ads, do you suppose they are trying to sell the
    > viewer a mainframe? When Boeing runs ads do you suppose that they are
    > trying to sell someone a jet airplane? When Caterpillar runs ads do you
    > suppose they are trying to sell a bulldozer? Does Lockheed-Martin try to
    > sell space shuttles or even tanks with their ads? Of course not.
    >
    > They are just keeping the public aware of their name and it works pretty
    > good.

    Ah - yes. Silly me - I understand now! Thank you.

    You are quite right of course - I'd never heard of "Shoe Circus" until I saw
    the ad.
    Yep - works a treat....

  5. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On 2008-09-07, bbgruff claimed:
    > By the heck.
    >
    > The first of these is out:-
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...ld_commercial/
    >
    > That must be Game Over for Mac and Linux (and XP)
    > With this sort of selling power, Vista will be irresistable.
    > That's it.
    > Pack it in.
    > We all need to go out and snap up a few copies before the price increases....
    > it's sure convinced me......

    I saw that thing the other day. If they're spending millions on that
    kind of crap, His Buttcrustness has to be full-on autistic, not
    somebody with Aspergers (like the following guy shows).

    http://tinyurl.com/6c2euy

    --
    VISTA: Virtually Incapable of Supporting The Applications

  6. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On Sep 7, 6:19*pm, "amicus_curious" wrote:
    > "bbgruff" wrote in message
    >
    > news:6ij3tpFq7202U1@mid.individual.net...> By the heck.
    >
    > > The first of these is out:-

    > >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09..._seinfeld_comm...

    > > That must be Game Over for Mac and Linux (and XP)
    > > With this sort of selling power, Vista will be irresistable.
    > > That's it.
    > > Pack it in.
    > > We all need to go out and snap up a few copies before the price
    > > increases....
    > > it's sure convinced me......

    > They're not selling a product, silly, that is for the little guys who are
    > unknown. *When IBM runs ads, do you suppose they are trying to sell the
    > viewer a mainframe? *When Boeing runs ads do you suppose that they are
    > trying to sell someone a jet airplane? *When Caterpillar runs ads do you
    > suppose they are trying to sell a bulldozer? *Does Lockheed-Martin try to
    > sell space shuttles or even tanks with their ads? *Of course not.
    >
    > They are just keeping the public aware of their name and it works pretty
    > good.

    You are almost correct, Amicus. Anyone who has worked in advertising
    will tell you that ads can be classified in two classes:

    - product advertising - such as those selling you soap during soap
    operas, or most superbowl ads.

    - institutional advertising - the one that you described. You can see
    those in CNN, or during "Meet the Press" and other Sunday programs.
    Those ads are placed by companies like Boeing, GE, etc.

    -Ramon

  7. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 23:46:22 +0100, bbgruff wrote:

    > By the heck.
    >
    > The first of these is out:-
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...ld_commercial/
    >
    > That must be Game Over for Mac and Linux (and XP)
    > With this sort of selling power, Vista will be irresistable.
    > That's it.
    > Pack it in.
    > We all need to go out and snap up a few copies before the price increases....
    > it's sure convinced me......

    It sucks......

    Up to the point where he starts talking chewy etc the commercial holds your
    interest because you are waiting for something to happen.
    Watching the progress bar kind of gives away that nothing is going to
    happen.
    And it doesn't.

    It definitely leaves the audience wanting less and one more point is that
    commercials like this, where you are waiting to see what happens or how it
    turns out, are only good for one shot per person because once they know
    nothing happens, they will be aggravated during subsequent viewings.

    Whatever they paid for it was too much IMHO...

    Oh, you want an example of a good commercial?

    Capital One--> What's in your wallet.....
    Good commercial(s) (It's a series of different ones).

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    "amicus_curious" wrote in
    news:48c4617a$0$23165$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster. com:

    > They are just keeping the public aware of their name and it works
    > pretty good.

    OMG!
    Are you saying that MS has come to a stage,
    where they need to keep public aware of their name ?

  9. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    "Jag Chan" wrote in message
    > "amicus_curious" wrote in
    > news:48c4617a$0$23165$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster. com:
    >
    >> They are just keeping the public aware of their name and it works
    >> pretty good.
    >>

    > OMG!
    > Are you saying that MS has come to a stage,
    > where they need to keep public aware of their name ?

    You always have to do that. They are at the same stage as Boeing,
    Caterpillar, IBM, and other major, successful corporations. Maybe some day
    Red Hat will be successful and able to afford an ad or two as well.

  10. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    news:10iogipfpl70p$.1imo6vbyz8g84$.dlg@40tude.net. ..

    > It definitely leaves the audience wanting less and one more point is that
    > commercials like this, where you are waiting to see what happens or how it
    > turns out, are only good for one shot per person because once they know
    > nothing happens, they will be aggravated during subsequent viewings.
    >
    > Whatever they paid for it was too much IMHO...

    You must not be a Seinfeld fan.

    > Oh, you want an example of a good commercial?
    >
    > Capital One--> What's in your wallet.....
    > Good commercial(s) (It's a series of different ones).

    I understand that they are preparing a series of these as well.

  11. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 23:46:22 +0100, bbgruff wrote:
    >By the heck.

    >The first of these is out:-

    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...ld_commercial/

    >That must be Game Over for Mac and Linux (and XP)
    >With this sort of selling power, Vista will be irresistable.
    >That's it.
    >Pack it in.
    >We all need to go out and snap up a few copies before the price increases....
    >it's sure convinced me......

    This has to be a joke post. Nobody is that stupid.

  12. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    AZ Nomad wrote:

    > bbgruff wrote:
    >>
    >>That must be Game Over for Mac and Linux (and XP)
    >>With this sort of selling power, Vista will be irresistable.
    >>That's it.
    >>Pack it in.
    >>We all need to go out and snap up a few copies before the price increases....
    >>it's sure convinced me......

    >This has to be a joke post. Nobody is that stupid.

    I'm certain it was sarcasm.

    --
    "I read Flatfishes posts : he is a real advocate and you and your girl
    guides do a lot less to advocate Linux than he." - "True Linux

  13. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 08:48:10 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > news:10iogipfpl70p$.1imo6vbyz8g84$.dlg@40tude.net. ..
    >

    >> It definitely leaves the audience wanting less and one more point is that
    >> commercials like this, where you are waiting to see what happens or how it
    >> turns out, are only good for one shot per person because once they know
    >> nothing happens, they will be aggravated during subsequent viewings.
    >>
    >> Whatever they paid for it was too much IMHO...
    >>

    > You must not be a Seinfeld fan.

    I used to see him in local clubs before he became famous.
    He wasn't funny then and he is not funny now IMHO.

    >> Oh, you want an example of a good commercial?
    >>
    >> Capital One--> What's in your wallet.....
    >> Good commercial(s) (It's a series of different ones).
    >>

    > I understand that they are preparing a series of these as well.

    Hopefully the future ones are better.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On 2008-09-07, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "bbgruff" wrote in message
    >> By the heck.
    >>
    >> The first of these is out:-
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...ld_commercial/
    >>
    >> That must be Game Over for Mac and Linux (and XP)
    >> With this sort of selling power, Vista will be irresistable.
    >> That's it.
    >> Pack it in.
    >> We all need to go out and snap up a few copies before the price
    >> increases....
    >> it's sure convinced me......
    >>

    > They're not selling a product, silly, that is for the little guys who are
    > unknown. When IBM runs ads, do you suppose they are trying to sell the
    > viewer a mainframe? When Boeing runs ads do you suppose that they are

    ...at least I don't get the impression that upper management has
    gone senile. Yes, I do get the impression that they are perhaps out
    of touch with the common end user (which may not be the point) or
    perhaps even their own customers (which is more relevant).

    This commercial... just makes me think about shorting the stock.

    --

    Unfortunately, the universe will not conform itself to
    your fantasies. You have to manage based on what really happens |||

  15. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On Sep 8, 3:49*am, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 23:46:22 +0100, bbgruff wrote:

    > It definitely leaves the audience wanting less and one more point is that
    > commercials like this, where you are waiting to see what happens or how it
    > turns out, are only good for one shot per person because once they know
    > nothing happens, they will be aggravated during subsequent viewings.

    Actually, it's worse that that. It becomes the prompt to go channel
    surfing rather than just go to get a drink or take a leak. The last
    thing a TV network wants is a commercial so bad that viewers want to
    change the channel.

    > Whatever they paid for it was too much IMHO...

    The paid $10 million for Seinfeld, and spend about $1 million per
    dozen 30 second spots.

    > Oh, you want an example of a good commercial?

    > Capital One--> What's in your wallet.....
    > Good commercial(s) *(It's a series of different ones).

    Very true. They also put in the kinds of things you want to see again
    and again, like the pizza delivery to the vikings, and the viking
    fires a flaming crossbow bolt into the delivery car and blows it up.

    > Moshe Goldfarb

  16. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:47:17 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:

    > On Sep 8, 3:49*am, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    >> On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 23:46:22 +0100, bbgruff wrote:

    >> It definitely leaves the audience wanting less and one more point is that
    >> commercials like this, where you are waiting to see what happens or how it
    >> turns out, are only good for one shot per person because once they know
    >> nothing happens, they will be aggravated during subsequent viewings.

    > Actually, it's worse that that. It becomes the prompt to go channel
    > surfing rather than just go to get a drink or take a leak. The last
    > thing a TV network wants is a commercial so bad that viewers want to
    > change the channel.
    >
    >> Whatever they paid for it was too much IMHO...

    > The paid $10 million for Seinfeld, and spend about $1 million per
    > dozen 30 second spots.
    >
    >> Oh, you want an example of a good commercial?

    >> Capital One--> What's in your wallet.....
    >> Good commercial(s) *(It's a series of different ones).

    > Very true. They also put in the kinds of things you want to see again
    > and again, like the pizza delivery to the vikings, and the viking
    > fires a flaming crossbow bolt into the delivery car and blows it up.
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb

    All true.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    > This commercial... just makes me think about shorting the stock.

    Well it is a difference of opinion that makes for parimutel betting, eh?
    Given your previously stated opinions and the mood of the Linux fans in
    general, I wouldn't think that it would take a commercial to push you over
    the edge, but go ahead and vote.

  18. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    news:10iogipfpl70p$.1imo6vbyz8g84$.dlg@40tude.net. ..
    > On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 23:46:22 +0100, bbgruff wrote:
    > Oh, you want an example of a good commercial?
    >
    > Capital One--> What's in your wallet.....
    > Good commercial(s) (It's a series of different ones).

    The old "Got Milk?" commercials were great! I wish all commercials were that
    good.

  19. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 17:57:48 GMT, Ralph Edwards wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > news:10iogipfpl70p$.1imo6vbyz8g84$.dlg@40tude.net. ..
    >> On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 23:46:22 +0100, bbgruff wrote:
    >> Oh, you want an example of a good commercial?
    >>
    >> Capital One--> What's in your wallet.....
    >> Good commercial(s) (It's a series of different ones).
    >>

    > The old "Got Milk?" commercials were great! I wish all commercials were that
    > good.

    That was another good one.

    For you old timers, the "Don't Pollute" commercials from the late 60's
    early 70's with the Indian (native American type not the call center type)
    crying a single tear was a classic one.

    Here it is:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ozVMxzNAA

    (Somehow it loses it's impact on YouTube?)

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    "Rex Ballard" wrote in message

    >No, but they might get an IT manager to come and check out the web
    >site, or get an IT consultant to look at blades or grids. At least
    >they provide the opportunity for the viewer to take action at some
    >point.

    An IT manager is going to get the notion to check out IBM products after
    viewing a commercial? You have been living in a tree too long, I think.
    You should come down and have a doughnut and a cup of coffee.

    >No, but they do want people to feel safe in their airplanes. There
    >are even some people who will change their travel plans to ride in a
    >747 because it's usually not as cramped as an Airbus.

    Ditto. Do you suppose that they would skip the 747 if there were no Boeing

    >Actually, they really don't care what the public thinks, what they are
    >trying to do is buy good press,

    Seems like you are confused, as usual. If they didn't care what the public
    thinks, they wouldn't run commercials to buy good press.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast